Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimStynes

Not sure but he has definitely been avoided by a lot of fighters including the top men.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: omaghjoe on April 10, 2016, 06:14:26 PM
Seen Frampton stripped off his WBA title there for not defending against Rigondeaux. Looks like a fight against Santa Cruz is on for he summer tho.

Must be frustrating for Rigo tho, he is the most avoided man out there

Would like the same level of patience be applied to Canelo by the WBC

Was a poor WBA title was it not?? Madison Square Gardens hopefully for a fight in summer.. If not away elsewhere I'll be heading to that
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

MoChara

Quote from: bennydorano on April 10, 2016, 10:41:05 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on April 10, 2016, 10:23:59 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on April 10, 2016, 10:00:21 PM
Was Rigo not stripped of his WBA belt because of inactivity?

Yeah. No one would fight him.
More to it than that surely? Stepping aside for big fat paycheques & the like?

Anything I ever heard about Rigo, he's the best out there watched a few of his fights on youtube seems a different level.

No-one will take him on because the promoters feel he has too negative a style so no-one wants to get battered for shit money.

nrico2006

At the end of the day Frampton is avoiding Rigondeaux, as has many others.  Only one result if the two of them fought.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

lurganblue

Quote from: bennydorano on April 10, 2016, 10:41:05 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on April 10, 2016, 10:23:59 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on April 10, 2016, 10:00:21 PM
Was Rigo not stripped of his WBA belt because of inactivity?

Yeah. No one would fight him.
More to it than that surely? Stepping aside for big fat paycheques & the like?

did he not have a bad run of injuries and cancelling fights?

Atticus_Finch

Genuinely believe that Frampton himself would fight Rigondeaux but he has been steered elsewhere and you can understand the reasons why.

Carry out the risk vs reward analysis and the fight didn't make sense a couple of days after the victory after Quigg and made even less sense after Rigondeaux inexplicably pulled out of the Jazza Dickens fight in Liverpool a month ago.  US promoters don't go near Rigo because of his style and he's not a big draw.  You would like to think that Frampton vs Rigondeaux would still be a big fight this side of the pond but not sure it would be a massive PPV event either.  Add into the mix that Rigo, you imagine, would have burned bridges with Boxnation after his pull out a month ago and Matchroom has the exclusive deal with Sky.  Then I think it is a difficult one to even get off the ground.

Whereas with the prospective Santa Cruz fight, both fighters have links to Al Haymon and it is an easier fight to make in the states.  Last I heard it's looking like that fight will take place in LA in the summer although Lee Selby's name seems to have been mentioned a bit recently.  I think his name being mentioned is probably being used to wrap up the last sticking points in negotiations with the Santa Cruz fight.
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Atticus_Finch on April 13, 2016, 09:28:47 AM
Genuinely believe that Frampton himself would fight Rigondeaux but he has been steered elsewhere and you can understand the reasons why.

Carry out the risk vs reward analysis and the fight didn't make sense a couple of days after the victory after Quigg and made even less sense after Rigondeaux inexplicably pulled out of the Jazza Dickens fight in Liverpool a month ago.  US promoters don't go near Rigo because of his style and he's not a big draw.  You would like to think that Frampton vs Rigondeaux would still be a big fight this side of the pond but not sure it would be a massive PPV event either.  Add into the mix that Rigo, you imagine, would have burned bridges with Boxnation after his pull out a month ago and Matchroom has the exclusive deal with Sky.  Then I think it is a difficult one to even get off the ground.

Whereas with the prospective Santa Cruz fight, both fighters have links to Al Haymon and it is an easier fight to make in the states.  Last I heard it's looking like that fight will take place in LA in the summer although Lee Selby's name seems to have been mentioned a bit recently.  I think his name being mentioned is probably being used to wrap up the last sticking points in negotiations with the Santa Cruz fight.

Think Carl is hoping for a fight in New York... would be a great place for the local Irish support to come to the fight and give Carl their vocal support.... Plus its any fighters dream to fight in Madison Square Gardens
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Atticus_Finch

If it's Madison Square garden, i'll be there.  MSG is still on my bucket list. 

Came close to going for Sergio Martinez vs Matt Macklin on St Paddy's day a couple of years back but couldn't make it.

A far few would no doubt make the trip from here as well and no doubt the Irish New York fight crowd would get behind Carl as they did Macklin and Lee. 
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

omaghjoe

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 13, 2016, 10:22:09 AM
Quote from: Atticus_Finch on April 13, 2016, 09:28:47 AM

Think Carl is hoping for a fight in New York... would be a great place for the local Irish support to come to the fight and give Carl their vocal support.... Plus its any fighters dream to fight in Madison Square Gardens

Would say LA is more likely, a large Mexican support is guarented here

Boycey

Jaysus, Katie Taylor beaten and Olympic place not secured yet....

oakleaflad

Quote from: Boycey on April 15, 2016, 12:55:38 PM
Jaysus, Katie Taylor beaten and Olympic place not secured yet....
Seemed like one of those things that was bound to happen eventually but hopefully she can still secure her place at the Olympics. She is still probably the top boxer at her weight class.

gallsman

"Only" has to make the semis at the Worlds to qualify which you'd imagine (and hope!) is pretty handily within her capabilities.

Syferus

Always a shock when Katie is even troubled but it might be the best thing that happens for her Olympic defence. It should erase any lingering complancency that has to build up when you are as dominant as Taylor has been for so long.

omaghjoe

Anyone in the states see the boxing on NBC last night?

Errol Spence completely demolished Chris Algeiri in 5 rounds, he looks like another top boxer at 147.

A fight against Brook, Garcia, Bradley, or even Kahn (if he can make the weight again after going up to MW :)) should be a great fight.

JimStynes

I've been watching him for a year or 2 now. Really impressed by him and he was clinical last night. Big future ahead for him but will know better when he meets better opposition.