Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: charlieTully on February 28, 2016, 08:53:36 AM
Some craic. The red hand of ulster waving proudly the Owc songs in full flow. Feck that shit. Feck tigers bay and all that comes out of it. Feck Jimmy nesbitt.

Hmmm, not taig enough for you?? Drat
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

gallsman

Quote from: bridgegael on February 28, 2016, 07:48:32 AM
Quote from: guevara on February 28, 2016, 02:04:17 AM
Most talented fighter at any weight at present is GGG. Froch can sit and talk rubbish all Night on Sky about tactics etc. A poor George Groves put him on his arse and he will stay retired for fear that Golovkhin will destroy him inside 3 Rounds.

Whatever you think of froch,  one thing that can't be said about him is that he ducked opponents. He is near 40 and is retired and he should keep it that way.

Absolutely. It was a moronic comment.

charlieTully

Some craic. The red hand of ulster waving proudly the Owc songs in full flow. Feck that shit. Feck tigers bay and all that comes out of it. Feck Jimmy nesbitt.

ach im just pissed of I lost money, lumped a few quid on quigg after round 8 at 11/4 when he seemed to be getting on top. i couldnt personally stick being at something like that with all the owc shit, my sis was at it said it was painful listening to them. I just havnt moved on as much as you milltown. maybe one day.

general_lee

Know plenty of republicans who cheered on the Jackal last night. Fair play to him he hasn't an ounce of hate in his body. Jimmy Nesbitt was cringey though that's enough to piss any man off!

laoislad

Quote from: general_lee on February 28, 2016, 12:40:12 PM
Know plenty of republicans who cheered on the Jackal last night. Fair play to him he hasn't an ounce of hate in his body. Jimmy Nesbitt was cringey though that's enough to piss any man off!
I read an interview where he said he was proud to represent Ireland as an amateur and has no regrets not fighting for the UK.
I'm not a big boxing fan and found that boring for the first 10 rounds but fair play to him he does seem a decent fella.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: charlieTully on February 28, 2016, 10:51:01 AM

ach im just pissed of I lost money, lumped a few quid on quigg after round 8 at 11/4 when he seemed to be getting on top. i couldnt personally stick being at something like that with all the owc shit, my sis was at it said it was painful listening to them. I just havnt moved on as much as you milltown. maybe one day.

He's my wife's cousin, I've known the lad for 20 years, he's a decent lad , most people will have an affiliation with someone from a particular area in this shit hole, he's in a mixed marriage and he's boxed for Ireland, outside the ring he's well grounded and a big family man. Unfortunately you can't get rid of some elements that will be owc but hey, its Norn Iron
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

charlieTully

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 28, 2016, 02:00:53 PM
Quote from: charlieTully on February 28, 2016, 10:51:01 AM

He's my wife's cousin, I've known the lad for 20 years, he's a decent lad , most people will have an affiliation with someone from a particular area in this shit hole, he's in a mixed marriage and he's boxed for Ireland, outside the ring he's well grounded and a big family man. Unfortunately you can't get rid of some elements that will be owc but hey, its Norn Iron

Fair dues. Your spot on. I suppose when mccloskey was fighting we done exactly the same.

Muzz

Those talking about Rigondeux - have you actually seen him fight?

No doubt hes a great fighter - when he doesn't have force the fight.  If he had to come and try to take the belts away from Frampton I am not sure he would look as impressive as he has done in the past.  Any fight that he has looked impressive in has been those where hes invited the boxer on.  Frampton has shown a tactical brain that makes it a closer fight than some would suggest.

gallsman

Quote from: Muzz on February 29, 2016, 04:42:44 PM
Those talking about Rigondeux - have you actually seen him fight?

No doubt hes a great fighter - when he doesn't have force the fight.  If he had to come and try to take the belts away from Frampton I am not sure he would look as impressive as he has done in the past.  Any fight that he has looked impressive in has been those where hes invited the boxer on.  Frampton has shown a tactical brain that makes it a closer fight than some would suggest.

That's the thing - he doesn't have to. While it's nice to hold a few belts, Rigo is the champ at 122 and everyone knows it.

Muzz

He isn't the champion though - WBA stripped him due to inactivity.  No one wants to fight him when he had the title because he would sit back.  The fact that it was incredibly boring meant that TV money is not there.  Believe what you all want but TV money is the main reason now for making any fight.  With the WBA demanding the winner fights Rigo by 27 July you will see Frampton vacate the WBA title.  The main reason for this is he will make more money making a deal with IBF to fight Santa Cruz next and then fighting Wake as mandatory.

The Iceman

was a nerve wrecking fight. I had Frampton winning by a narrow margin. He did enough in the first half of the fight and in the closing rounds to wrap it up.
Sky commentators would sicken you - they nearly try to create something out of nothing with their analysis - oh no Quigg is coming back here he is turning the corner and will steal the fight...frampton must be hurt... or struggling with the weight.....

When Frampton took the title against Martinez in Belfast I flew home 6000 miles and took my Da to the fight. 60th Birthday present for him - we were 14 rows from ringside - first time at a Pro fight together. We've been following Frampton and local boxers since I could watch tv  -was a special occasion...  anyways Frampton found out about it from a mutual friend months later and next thing I get a note in the post from Carl and an autograph   though it was a nice touch - that connection with the fans.. classy
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Franko

Heard more than enough stories like that about him.  Fair dues to him, seems like a great lad, hope he can now push on and we might see a few more big fight nights returning to Belfast.

JimStynes

Quote from: Muzz on February 29, 2016, 05:03:21 PM
He isn't the champion though - WBA stripped him due to inactivity.  No one wants to fight him when he had the title because he would sit back.  The fact that it was incredibly boring meant that TV money is not there.  Believe what you all want but TV money is the main reason now for making any fight.  With the WBA demanding the winner fights Rigo by 27 July you will see Frampton vacate the WBA title.  The main reason for this is he will make more money making a deal with IBF to fight Santa Cruz next and then fighting Wake as mandatory.

Like Gallsman said, Rigo is the main man at that weight. Shane McGuigan has even said as much in a post fight interview. It's too big a risk to fight him. It's a shame people see him as boring because when he is on form he is a joy to watch. His footwork, speed, technique etc is unreal. Donaire was undefeated in 12 years or something like that and Rigo won handy enough. Everyone has a chance in boxing and like frampton, Rigo has been down a few times but I don't think Frampton would beat him at the minute. Santa Cruz would be no push over either!!

Club Rossa

Nick Halling and Jim Watt would sicken your dung.Very hard to listen to.

Syferus

Frampton always came off as a classy guy. One of the best athletes the island has produced.