Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyHarp

Quote from: Syferus on February 15, 2016, 02:01:00 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on February 15, 2016, 09:38:36 AM
Glad to see Joshua fighting for the title because it means that if he wins (which he should) then he can no longer fight journeymen and will have to fight the top level heavyweight fighters.  Still think it is a disgrace by the IBF to have taken the title of Fury basically straight away.

All that's in the division is journeymen, though.

The only good heavyweight fights you seen on to these days are in black and white.

These guys may or may not prove to be fighters that go down as greats when the history of the current era of boxing is written but there is plenty of potential amongst the main contenders. You have Deontay Wilder, unbeaten and yet to reach his prime, Tyson Fury, unbeaten and yet to reach his prime, Anthony Joshua, Olympic Champion, a novice but unbeaten and nowhere near his prime. Charles Martin, new to the mix but only 29 and unbeaten. Throw in decent other unbeaten fighters like Hughie Fury, Luis Ortiz and Parker along with former champions Haye and Klitchko and decent contenders like Povetkin, Stiverne and Pulev then you have as good a mix of heavyweights as we have had in a long time. To write all these boxers off as journeymen is very premature and a bit like an old man in a pub reminiscing of the good old days. There most likely isn't an Ali or a Tyson amongst them but in terms of recreating a buzz that's been long gone in heavyweight boxing, then I think we are in for an interesting few years.
That was never a square ball!!

NAG1

STREET FIGHTER

Really like Frampton but don't know why he has got so personal with Quigg....

Some of the interviews are hard watching....

Understand the needs to get into your opponents head etc but I cant help feel the McGuigans have got the marketing wrong here....

Should be a cracking fight.....hope he does it....

Milltown Row2

Quote from: STREET FIGHTER on February 19, 2016, 10:02:54 PM

Understand the needs to get into your opponents head etc but I cant help feel the McGuigans have got the marketing wrong here....

Think its a lot more to do with the promoter's in fairness.... You will get this pumped up talk before all fights, just hoping that Carl has fought harder fights than Quigg, and has more to lose than Quigg, either way I feel they will both be fighting again in Belfast
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

STREET FIGHTER

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 19, 2016, 11:46:23 PM

Think its a lot more to do with the promoter's in fairness.... You will get this pumped up talk before all fights, just hoping that Carl has fought harder fights than Quigg, and has more to lose than Quigg, either way I feel they will both be fighting again in Belfast

Yeah perhaps....

Problem is Frampton is doing most of the trash talk.....not too much from Quigg....

Is there 2 fights agreed? Remember some talk of this way back.....

The winner will not want to offer a rematch too quick.....

Milltown Row2

Quote from: STREET FIGHTER on February 20, 2016, 03:13:28 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 19, 2016, 11:46:23 PM

Yeah perhaps....

Problem is Frampton is doing most of the trash talk.....not too much from Quigg....

Is there 2 fights agreed? Remember some talk of this way back.....

The winner will not want to offer a rematch too quick.....

Not sure but financially it would be silly not to, as there is a lot of attention at this division for a change
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

TF15

Quiggs trash talked every bit as much bringing up gym stories of Carl being dropped etc. Thats generally a taboo thing that fighters shouldnt bring up or talk about. Also Joe Gallagher has been personal about Shane McGuigan. It's all a part of the game, don't forget also that these sky shows are edited on Eddie Hearns approval. Team Frampton were unhappy with the 'The Gloves Are Off' edit and alluded to the bias in the editing.

Genuinely get a bit nervous when I think about the fight. It's so rare to get two fighters at their peak meeting each other like this.

nrico2006

The majority of the trash talking is coming from Quigg, Gallagher and Hearn.  Hearn is a parasite and the sight of him jumping about the ring clinging onto others success absolutely sickens me.  Wasn't too long ago that he was saying that Gallagher didn't want Quigg to fight Frampton (when Hearn was with Frampton).  Frampton seems to be a bit wound up, hopefully keeps to his gameplan when the fight starts. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Walter Cronc

Right who's going to win on Saturday? I'm worried Quigg might sneak it.

Does Carl need an early win? If it goes the distance will Quigg shade it?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Walter Cronc on February 23, 2016, 09:56:02 AM

Worried on two fronts...Carl not sticking to a plan and getting carried away and Quiggs longer reach on those body shots.. If the Best Frampton is in the room he'll beat Quigg in 6th or 7th round... but if it goes the distance it will be very tight and I wouldn't be surprise if it were a draw and rematch in Belfast.... call me cynical  ;)

BennyHarp

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 23, 2016, 10:51:02 AM

Worried on two fronts...Carl not sticking to a plan and getting carried away and Quiggs longer reach on those body shots.. If the Best Frampton is in the room he'll beat Quigg in 6th or 7th round... but if it goes the distance it will be very tight and I wouldn't be surprise if it were a draw and rematch in Belfast.... call me cynical  ;)

I'll be having a small bet on Quigg to win inside the distance. I've followed his career from the early days and the improvement in him over time has been immense. Any analysis of Quigg based on fights 2 or 3 years ago is of no use in my opinion. I also don't really see any major improvement in Frampton in recent fights and although he is definitely the more gifted of the two, if Quigg can rattle him and it turns into a war then I can only see one winner. Can't wait for it - out for a few beers for the rugby so hopefully I'll still be seeing clearly when the fight starts.
That was never a square ball!!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: BennyHarp on February 23, 2016, 11:31:47 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 23, 2016, 10:51:02 AM

I'll be having a small bet on Quigg to win inside the distance. I've followed his career from the early days and the improvement in him over time has been immense. Any analysis of Quigg based on fights 2 or 3 years ago is of no use in my opinion. I also don't really see any major improvement in Frampton in recent fights and although he is definitely the more gifted of the two, if Quigg can rattle him and it turns into a war then I can only see one winner. Can't wait for it - out for a few beers for the rugby so hopefully I'll still be seeing clearly when the fight starts.

Aye I'm doing the same, hoping the bars have it on in Belfast... was to head over and watch it but have other things on..... if it gets past 6/7 rounds it will go the distance ..... down to how the judges see it and who lands the most punches ... on that score more than likely Carl ....

you are right about Quiggs improvement for sure... but the fight with Kiko cant be judged for lie for like with Carls fights... As for the fiasco in America I think both Carl and Shane didn't prepare as well as they should have in fairness... two even fighters, hope it live up to the hype

Hound

Was looking on the Manchester Arena website for details of undercard and timings, and saw that there are tickets still available. Surprised at how expensive they are. Range from £163 in Tier One to £523 for ringside. The cheaper Tier 2 seats are all gone, but that's a lot of money for an evening's entertainment.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Hound on February 24, 2016, 10:07:12 AM
Was looking on the Manchester Arena website for details of undercard and timings, and saw that there are tickets still available. Surprised at how expensive they are. Range from £163 in Tier One to £523 for ringside. The cheaper Tier 2 seats are all gone, but that's a lot of money for an evening's entertainment.

Quigg hasn't sold his allocation for the fight... had said to Frampton that he'll have to deal with the home crowd as well as him during the fight!!