Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omaghjoe

:o :o :o
Didnt see this one coming in a million years

Kahn finally gets the fight he wants but his performances of late have done little to deserve a bout like this. So this has left him with a poor hand in negoatioing favourable terms and fighting at this weight (catch weight or not) against a fighter like Canelo is not a good jumping off point for him. Rather than guts, its smacks of desperation to get that big time fight.

He's on to a hiding in a few rounds IMO, Canelo is too strong and too solid a boxer to be troubled by Kahn and as Gallsman pointed his love of a scrap could well be his undoing early. Take a look at Canelo v Kirkland and you can see what he does to guys that come out swinging.

In saying that should be an entertaining fight 

omaghjoe

Quote from: Walter Cronc on February 03, 2016, 12:36:37 PM
Quote from: gallsman on February 03, 2016, 12:28:47 PM
There are standard, recognised weight classes. Khan fights at welterweight, which is 147 lbs, although he's by no means a big welter. Canelo is the (lineal) middleweight (160 lbs) champion, even though he's more of something in between light-middle (154 lbs) and middle. The two have signed to fight at a weight limit of 155lbs, i.e. they must weigh in at 155 or below the day before the fight. I don't know if there's a rehydration limit to impose a cap on how they much they can weigh on fight night.

Canelo won the middleweight title against Cotto, another blown up welterweight at a catch weight of 155. Makes a bit of a nonsense of the weight classes, especially as Canelo is the lineal champion but has said he won't defend against GGG (the logical challenger) unless it's at a weight he's comfortable with. The middleweight champion insisting on fighting for the middleweight title at a weight limit of his choosing? Horseshit.

Cheers Gallsman. Jeez sounds like Canelo is running scared of GGG.

How do you see the Frampton Quigg fighting going? Unfortunately I fancy Quigg for that one. Think he has a better corner than Frampton which could prove crucial.

Would concur with Gallsman on GGG v Canelo, Tho Golovkin is not just logical challenger he's the mandatory challenger for WBC for about 18months or so.
Tho TBF I dont think its Canelo running scared, he will fight anyone, rather its his team and Oscar de la Hoya in particular trying to avoid that fight until it somehow becomes more favourable to Canelo. The weight thing is more BS in an attempt to try and weaken GGG rather than anything else. Word is Canelo trains and enters the ring heavier than Golovkin, he just has a freaky ability to drain off more weight than your average fighter. Tho catchweight or 160 Golovkin should beat him in 7/8 IMO

omaghjoe

On a completely unrelated fight anyone see Kovalev Pascal at the weekend?

A brutal beating if I ever seen one, actually felt sorry for Pascal and I thought he was a decent fighter before Krusher came along.

Hopefully we will see Kovalev Ward before the years out

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Walter Cronc on February 03, 2016, 12:36:37 PM
There are standard, recognised weight classes. Khan fights at welterweight, which is 147 lbs, although he's by no means a big welter. Canelo is the (lineal) middleweight (160 lbs) champion, even though he's more of something in between light-middle (154 lbs) and middle. The two have signed to fight at a weight limit of 155lbs, i.e. they must weigh in at 155 or below the day before the fight. I don't know if there's a rehydration limit to impose a cap on how they much they can weigh on fight night.

Canelo won the middleweight title against Cotto, another blown up welterweight at a catch weight of 155. Makes a bit of a nonsense of the weight classes, especially as Canelo is the lineal champion but has said he won't defend against GGG (the logical challenger) unless it's at a weight he's comfortable with. The middleweight champion insisting on fighting for the middleweight title at a weight limit of his choosing? Horseshit.

Cheers Gallsman. Jeez sounds like Canelo is running scared of GGG.

How do you see the Frampton Quigg fighting going? Unfortunately I fancy Quigg for that one. Think he has a better corner than Frampton which could prove crucial.

Not sure what Gallsman take on the Frampton fight but think it will be a lot closer than the bookies make out.... Carl has learned a lot from the fight in America and had he not thought on his feet as he did then he would have lost..... Corner on the day was caught out...it happens, id say they know Quiggs game inside out (as do Quiggs corner on Frampton) so I hope Carl won't make a hash of it....
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

BennyHarp

I heard an interview with Andy Lee a few weeks ago when he made a comment about Peter Quillin missing the weight against him on purpose. He didn't elaborate fully but it appeared that he was suggesting that this spate of missed weights and catch weight fights may be orchestrated by Al Haymon to undermine the current governing bodies in a power move to promote his own PBC.
That was never a square ball!!

gallsman

Quote from: BennyHarp on February 03, 2016, 09:14:07 PM

I heard an interview with Andy Lee a few weeks ago when he made a comment about Peter Quillin missing the weight against him on purpose. He didn't elaborate fully but it appeared that he was suggesting that this spate of missed weights and catch weight fights may be orchestrated by Al Haymon to undermine the current governing bodies in a power move to promote his own PBC.

Interesting and no doubt both possible and plausible. There are lads who make no effort at all to make the weight sometimes, secure in the knowledge that the other fighter can't afford to give up the payday and so are happy to forfeit 20%of the purse or whatever it is to get the either advantage. Castillo in the second fight against Corrales was a shocking example of it.

omaghjoe

Golovkin's next fight has been finalised as well. Dominic Wade 23 April in LA.

Golovkin's bid to get a fight is comical...
he was hoping for a unification with BJS, but he and Warren dodged and smirked their way out of it.
then IBF said well you need to fight the mandatory who is Tureano Johnson, he proceeded to cry off with injury so it then he falls on the no.2 who is the aforementioned Mr Wade

No little or nothing about him...but it will be another pitiful fight for GGG, tho not his fault...the Canelo fight needs to happen.

TF15

My opinion on Khans decision to fight Alvarez/not fight Brook next.

The reason Khan has taken this is simple if you understand his mindset. He wants to be a worldwide superstar and views himself as a big name. Thus he wanted to be part of a mega fight. With FMJ and Pacquiao not happening Canelo is the next biggest PPV star. I think this thirst for stardom will have severe consequences and he could get dealt with brutally. Alvarez will be a stone heavier in the ring and while Khan is my favourite fighter I don't think he has the ring IQ to keep Alvarez off for 12 rounds. I predict a KO around rounds 6-10 as Khan tires. While I love the fact Khan is daring to be great, Paulie Malignaggi summed it up in a podcast saying that boxers aren't action figures where you can put the biggest names against each other. Weight divisions are there for a good reason.

Furthermore, while the Kell Brook fight is massive in the UK and will make Khan maybe £10 Million he hasn't taken it yet as he thinks it lacks worldwide appeal so only wants to take that fight when either 1) there are no other good options on the table as he feels that's an option he'll always have 2) Brook records a massive win or two and has recognition in the U.S. so the fight can give him that worldwide stardom his ego/ambition craves. He also thinks he's carrying the Brook fight, wants an 80-20 split of the money due to this. Tbh he probably is right, Brook has caught nobody bar Porter and all he does is hang on to Khans name as its his only true massive payday. However, it'll be a travesty if the fans never get to see it.

TF15

I'm also a huge Frampton fan but I fear this Quigg fight. Think Quiggs body shots could cause Carl huge difficulties as last day out Carl looked vulnerable to them. If Carl stays off the deck/doesn't get stopped he wins this fight on points. Vastly superior pure boxer but Quigg hits hard and has improved hugely in the last 18 months.

Maybe the last fight was a blessing in disguise though. I know Carl's dropped his weight much earlier to what he deems his best fighting weight so that should make his weight cut for the weigh in much easier than last time out and there won't be that stupid thick foam underlay that Chavez Jnr had requested.

It really is a very hard fight to call.

NAG1

Shooting at a weigh in in Dublin  :-\

BennyHarp

Anthony Joshua to fight Charles Martin for the IBF World Title in April. A winnable fight.
That was never a square ball!!

nrico2006

Glad to see Joshua fighting for the title because it means that if he wins (which he should) then he can no longer fight journeymen and will have to fight the top level heavyweight fighters.  Still think it is a disgrace by the IBF to have taken the title of Fury basically straight away.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

gallsman

Joshua took and won a tough fight against Whyte. He made his pro debut less than two and a half years ago. What exactly do you want of him at this stage of his career ffs?!

TF15

AJ is very good but his lack of head movement I think will undo him at some point unless it's addressed. Hope he wins and then you have Fury, Wilder, AJ as champions with Klitschko, Haye, Parker, Ortiz and Hughie Fury around the scene. Great for boxing that the HW scene is improving.

Syferus

Quote from: nrico2006 on February 15, 2016, 09:38:36 AM
Glad to see Joshua fighting for the title because it means that if he wins (which he should) then he can no longer fight journeymen and will have to fight the top level heavyweight fighters.  Still think it is a disgrace by the IBF to have taken the title of Fury basically straight away.

All that's in the division is journeymen, though.

The only good heavyweight fights you seen on to these days are in black and white.