Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: omaghjoe on December 19, 2015, 11:27:18 PM
On another note Ive heard them both called Irish Travellers????

And then the fight commenter said that they where both proud gypsies... :o WTF!
Gypsy Lee and Gypsy Joe

Hound

Quote from: Itchy on December 20, 2015, 12:13:56 AM
Dunno how one of the judges scored it 115 to 111. I thought it was a point one way or the other. Lee wasn't aggressive enough for me.
Simple explanation. Dave Parris is in Frank Warren's pocket.

I thought Lee won every round in the 2nd half of the fight. But he needed a 10-8 at some stage, and never nailed Saunders. Was a fraction too conservative, maybe understandably after the 3rd, but I thought it was there for him

gallsman

Quote from: Hound on December 21, 2015, 10:02:11 AM
Quote from: Itchy on December 20, 2015, 12:13:56 AM
Dunno how one of the judges scored it 115 to 111. I thought it was a point one way or the other. Lee wasn't aggressive enough for me.
Simple explanation. Dave Parris is in Frank Warren's pocket.

I thought Lee won every round in the 2nd half of the fight. But he needed a 10-8 at some stage, and never nailed Saunders. Was a fraction too conservative, maybe understandably after the 3rd, but I thought it was there for him

Problem is, other than last 3/4 rounds, which I think Lee won, you really could have called it either way. I gave Saunders the first and obviously the third. 2, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 were genuinely a toss up.

gallsman

oakleaflad

Quote from: gallsman on February 02, 2016, 05:42:46 PM
Khan-Canelo?!
Madness but fair play to Khan for accepting. He will be the smaller man by quite a bit and with his chin it's is a huge risk. The reward for a win though could be huge.

JimStynes

Some balls on Khan to go for it. Big pay day for him to be fair and even if he does get beat the Kell Brook fight is still there. The size difference in the night will be massive. Khan isn't even big at 147! Alvarez will walk to the ring at least 170!! I'd say Khan will be going to sleep in the middle rounds.

gallsman

f**king Canelo and his catch weights. He was all talk after the Cotto fight how he'd take on all comers at middleweight, ggg included and weight wasn't an issue. Turned round a few days later and went back in it. Title fights shouldn't be allowed at catch weights.

BennyHarp

I don't think anyone saw this match up coming. Khans ego and desperation to box a big name could well have landed him in a spot of bother here. As Jim said, by fight night, Alverez will be somewhere near 170 and Khan will do well to withstand any punch that lands clean. Fair play to him though, would be some going if he pulls it off.
That was never a square ball!!

nrico2006

Apparently the Alvarez GGG fight is set for September, I hope that GGG doesn't stand for any of his catchweight shite either.  As for Khan, he will get knocked out.  He will use the size difference as an excuse when he loses, plenty of fights out there with similar differences in weight and no excuses about that are used.     
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

gallsman

Quote from: nrico2006 on February 03, 2016, 08:59:26 AM
Apparently the Alvarez GGG fight is set for September, I hope that GGG doesn't stand for any of his catchweight shite either.  As for Khan, he will get knocked out.  He will use the size difference as an excuse when he loses, plenty of fights out there with similar differences in weight and no excuses about that are used.     

Jesus christ, the fight is just made and you're already moaning about excuses that Khan will make in the (I agree with you, likely) event he loses. He's a small welter going up against a middleweight, albeit not a particularly big one. I think it's a ballsy move by him and he deserves credit for it, win or lose.

The only thing I can see causing Canelo issues in this fight is Khan's speed (although there's a small enough sample size over the last few years) as Canelo can be somewhat crude at times. Will be interesting too see what kind of shape Khan's in at 155. Otherwise, I think Canelo will just be too big for him. Given what Danny Garcia did to Khan and Khan's inability to resist a scrap, I think a KO is inevitable. As I said though, fair play for taking the fight.

Mikhail Prokhorov

Quote from: gallsman on February 03, 2016, 09:34:02 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on February 03, 2016, 08:59:26 AM

Jesus christ, the fight is just made and you're already moaning about excuses that Khan will make in the (I agree with you, likely) event he loses. He's a small welter going up against a middleweight, albeit not a particularly big one. I think it's a ballsy move by him and he deserves credit for it, win or lose.

The only thing I can see causing Canelo issues in this fight is Khan's speed (although there's a small enough sample size over the last few years) as Canelo can be somewhat crude at times. Will be interesting too see what kind of shape Khan's in at 155. Otherwise, I think Canelo will just be too big for him. Given what Danny Garcia did to Khan and Khan's inability to resist a scrap, I think a KO is inevitable. As I said though, fair play for taking the fight.

khan will weigh 151 max on the night, canelo 170+

gallsman

He's obviously going to have to pack on a bit of beef but I can't see Khan turning up in the ring for a fight with a 155 limit at 151. He'll probably weigh in a pound or two below the limit and put a few pounds of water weight back on.

Walter Cronc

Explain to me about catch weights lads? Boxing fan but a novice when comes to weights etc.

gallsman

There are standard, recognised weight classes. Khan fights at welterweight, which is 147 lbs, although he's by no means a big welter. Canelo is the (lineal) middleweight (160 lbs) champion, even though he's more of something in between light-middle (154 lbs) and middle. The two have signed to fight at a weight limit of 155lbs, i.e. they must weigh in at 155 or below the day before the fight. I don't know if there's a rehydration limit to impose a cap on how they much they can weigh on fight night.

Canelo won the middleweight title against Cotto, another blown up welterweight at a catch weight of 155. Makes a bit of a nonsense of the weight classes, especially as Canelo is the lineal champion but has said he won't defend against GGG (the logical challenger) unless it's at a weight he's comfortable with. The middleweight champion insisting on fighting for the middleweight title at a weight limit of his choosing? Horseshit.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: gallsman on February 03, 2016, 12:28:47 PM
There are standard, recognised weight classes. Khan fights at welterweight, which is 147 lbs, although he's by no means a big welter. Canelo is the (lineal) middleweight (160 lbs) champion, even though he's more of something in between light-middle (154 lbs) and middle. The two have signed to fight at a weight limit of 155lbs, i.e. they must weigh in at 155 or below the day before the fight. I don't know if there's a rehydration limit to impose a cap on how they much they can weigh on fight night.

Canelo won the middleweight title against Cotto, another blown up welterweight at a catch weight of 155. Makes a bit of a nonsense of the weight classes, especially as Canelo is the lineal champion but has said he won't defend against GGG (the logical challenger) unless it's at a weight he's comfortable with. The middleweight champion insisting on fighting for the middleweight title at a weight limit of his choosing? Horseshit.

Cheers Gallsman. Jeez sounds like Canelo is running scared of GGG.

How do you see the Frampton Quigg fighting going? Unfortunately I fancy Quigg for that one. Think he has a better corner than Frampton which could prove crucial.