Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

There hasn't been an undisputed heavyweight champion since the hugely over-rated Lennox Lewis.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

gallsman

Quote from: nrico2006 on December 09, 2015, 10:47:42 AM
There hasn't been an undisputed heavyweight champion since the hugely over-rated Lennox Lewis.

Laughable statement.

screenexile

Quote from: nrico2006 on December 09, 2015, 09:34:34 AM
Boxing is a shambles and the IBF are a disgrace in this case, how can he be stripped so soon after winning it.  Surely they would benefit from being attached to the nearest thing to an undisputed champion that there is.  Was excited for Fury too as there was only one fight required to become undisputed now the situation becomes more diluted.  People point to the UFC as the example but I imagine that over time they will become fragmented too.

Do you read the papers/web/social media? What possible advantage has anyone being aligned to Fury?

He's a complete f**king clown. Yes he beat Klitschko but it was one of the worst fights I've ever witnessed, just because he is some kind of circus freak doesn't suddenly make him a credible world champion. Heavyweight boxing's been on its arse for nigh on 10 years and Fury isn't the man who's gonna save it!!

oakleaflad

Quote from: nrico2006 on December 09, 2015, 10:47:42 AM
Wlad?

nrico2006

Quote from: screenexile on December 09, 2015, 11:07:15 AM
Boxing is a shambles and the IBF are a disgrace in this case, how can he be stripped so soon after winning it.  Surely they would benefit from being attached to the nearest thing to an undisputed champion that there is.  Was excited for Fury too as there was only one fight required to become undisputed now the situation becomes more diluted.  People point to the UFC as the example but I imagine that over time they will become fragmented too.

Do you read the papers/web/social media? What possible advantage has anyone being aligned to Fury?

He's a complete f**king clown. Yes he beat Klitschko but it was one of the worst fights I've ever witnessed, just because he is some kind of circus freak doesn't suddenly make him a credible world champion. Heavyweight boxing's been on its arse for nigh on 10 years and Fury isn't the man who's gonna save it!!

Fury will be involved in bigger fights that will generate more money and exposure than anything Vyacheslav Glazkov will bring.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

oakleaflad

Too many boxers worried about protecting their 0 and then coming unstuck when fighting a top class opponent having beat up on bums in all their previous fights. I don't think the standard is as bad as people make out compared to years ago it's just the top boxers don't fight as often at heavyweight anymore.
If you had Fury, Wlad, Povetkin, Wilder, Stiverne, Pulev, Chagaev, Glazkov, Jennings, Joshua, Parker, Haye etc. facing each other it might not seem so bad.
Another problem is the lack of a real American heavyweight star, only two of the above names are American. Wilder could possibly become this if he unifies the titles and faces some of these fighters but at the minute he doesn't have that appeal.

nrico2006

Quote from: oakleaflad on December 09, 2015, 11:29:23 AM

Too many boxers worried about protecting their 0 and then coming unstuck when fighting a top class opponent having beat up on bums in all their previous fights. I don't think the standard is as bad as people make out compared to years ago it's just the top boxers don't fight as often at heavyweight anymore.
If you had Fury, Wlad, Povetkin, Wilder, Stiverne, Pulev, Chagaev, Glazkov, Jennings, Joshua, Parker, Haye etc. facing each other it might not seem so bad.
Another problem is the lack of a real American heavyweight star, only two of the above names are American. Wilder could possibly become this if he unifies the titles and faces some of these fighters but at the minute he doesn't have that appeal.

Spot on about the general standard and lack of American star(s).

gallsman

Don't think there's any chance Wilder becomes a star. He'll have been as delighted as anyone to see Fury win out and possibly bring about the end of Wlad as any version of Wlad other than the one that appeared against Fury works have dismantled him clinically. He can bang alright but is unbelievably crude.

Syferus

Quote from: gallsman on December 09, 2015, 12:39:01 PM
Don't think there's any chance Wilder becomes a star. He'll have been as delighted as anyone to see Fury win out and possibly bring about the end of Wlad as any version of Wlad other than the one that appeared against Fury works have dismantled him clinically. He can bang alright but is unbelievably crude.

Reason Wlad was so poor was he had no clue how to deal with a taller man. No work on the inside when he clinched, which is where the smaller man with the shorter reach should be going to town on the body. Think he hit Fury with a pathetic total of four body shots over 12 rounds. And he couldn't club Fury's lead jab away like he did against everyone else. Fury Wlad'd Wlad and I for one was delighted to see that putrid style of boxing finally being beaten, even if it took that same style to do it.

To me that fight badly exposed how limited a boxer Wlad really is when you take away his illegal clubbing away of jabs. The comprehensive manner of the defeat puts into question what his place in heavyweight history really is. It was no fluke result.

nrico2006

Quote from: Syferus on December 09, 2015, 12:54:19 PM
Quote from: gallsman on December 09, 2015, 12:39:01 PM

Reason Wlad was so poor was he had no clue how to deal with a taller man. No work on the inside when he clinched, which is where the smaller man with the shorter reach should be going to town on the body. Think he hit Fury with a pathetic total of four body shots over 12 rounds. And he couldn't club Fury's lead jab away like he did against everyone else. Fury Wlad'd Wlad and I for one was delighted to see that putrid style of boxing finally being beaten, even if it took that same style to do it.

To me that fight badly exposed how limited a boxer Wlad really is when you take away his illegal clubbing away of jabs. The comprehensive manner of the defeat puts into question what his place in heavyweight history really is for me.

I always said Wlad was over-rated and simply relied on his physical advantages to win fights, as well as his jab-grab-lean tactics.  Always wanted Fury to fight him as I felt Fury would beat him once these advantages were negated.  As mentioned, he was so used to employing these tactics for years that he was still trying to hold a bigger man ffs instead of working on the inside.  Furys movement and feinting on top of his size just bewildered Klitschko.   

oakleaflad

With all this being said though, who do you think will win the rematch?

Syferus

Quote from: oakleaflad on December 09, 2015, 01:07:19 PM
With all this being said though, who do you think will win the rematch?

Wlad looked so bad technically and Fury so comfortable it's hard to see how Wlad could change enough to win a rematch. Probably his best hope is Fury not focusing and not being prepared right, which always a worry with Fury.

Fury proved he's the better fighter with all things being even, and saying that Wlad's camp still tried to fûck with the ring and Fury's gloves to give their man an advantage and Fury beat him handilyin a country renowned for jobbing the fighters travelling overl

ONeill

Looking forward to tomorrow night. A couple of tasty ones. Eubank Snr reckons Whyte will give Joshua a fight.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

From the Bunker

Anybody see Dean Walsh v Ray Moylette last night in the National finals?

23:30 on TG4 Player

http://www.tg4.ie/en/player/home/?pid=4657981694001

Dean lucky to have the influence of Uncle Billy to keep him at the Top!

Farce!

BennyHarp

Luke Campbell in a spot of bother here!
That was never a square ball!!