Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

Brilliant performance from Fury.  There was nothing wrong with Klitschko, he simply for once was kept at bay by a bigger man who controlled the fight, which is exactly what Wladimir has been doing for years.  Look at Haye fighting Klitschko, he would and could have knocked him out if he landed but he never got the chance as he was kept at bay all night, and now Fury has dished out the same medicine to the former champion.  Fury was in great shape, looked like he could go another few rounds too.  His footwork and head-movement just bamboozled Klitschko, plus the switching stances obviously confused matters even more. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

BennyHarp

Quote from: DuffleKing on November 30, 2015, 12:20:16 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on November 29, 2015, 10:53:04 PM
Quote from: DuffleKing on November 29, 2015, 10:33:18 PM

Well GSTQ was his anthem pre fight so I presume he's of that view himself

Did you see the fight? He showed GSTQ no respect whatsoever! He did also claim to be the first Irish Heavyweight champion of the world in the post fight press conference. In the press conference he also spoke at length about his Irish Traveller background.

Saw the fight. You're claiming he didnt nominate his own nationality and anthem? You think he sounds Irish?

Is this the barometer for Irishness now?
That was never a square ball!!

bennydorano

Interesting bit in the Times (uk) today by Matt Dickinson, seems Mr Fury has some 'interesting' opinions in regards to homosexuality / paedophilia. He's not a bit shy about discussing said opinions and has threatened journos who have had the temerity to question him. First time i've heard this to be honest as i've tended to avoid his nonsense. Surprisingly vitriolic piece all the same.

JoG2

Quote from: bennydorano on November 30, 2015, 02:19:45 PM
Interesting bit in the Times (uk) today by Matt Dickinson, seems Mr Fury has some 'interesting' opinions in regards to homosexuality / paedophilia. He's not a bit shy about discussing said opinions and has threatened journos who have had the temerity to question him. First time i've heard this to be honest as i've tended to avoid his nonsense. Surprisingly vitriolic piece all the same.

he should be thanking Fury for all the column inches he's given him of late

BennyHarp

Good old Matt Dickinson, using an interview carried out by another journalist a few weeks ago to jump on the bandwagon and get some exposure the day after Fury wins the heavyweight championship of the world. Lazy journalism of the highest order. Fury is a strange character who can be both engaging, intelligent and generous as well as offensive, uneducated and divisive. Take him as you want but his sporting achievements this weekend should not be undermined by his crazy talk a few weeks ago and a few journalists jumping on his back now that people know who he is.

nrico2006

Quote from: BennyHarp on November 30, 2015, 02:57:35 PM

Good old Matt Dickinson, using an interview carried out by another journalist a few weeks ago to jump on the bandwagon and get some exposure the day after Fury wins the heavyweight championship of the world. Lazy journalism of the highest order. Fury is a strange character who can be both engaging, intelligent and generous as well as offensive, uneducated and divisive. Take him as you want but his sporting achievements this weekend should not be undermined by his crazy talk a few weeks ago and a few journalists jumping on his back now that people know who he is.

Well said, this article was done a while ago and now thon root trying to piggy bank on his profile in light of the win.  Fury is just a normal lad who isn't bound by the restrictions of political correctness.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

JimStynes

Heavyweight division is a farce and has been for some years and Fury winning highlights even more. I always thought he was a decent enough boxer but his name beside the likes of Mike Tyson is funny. Saying that, I was over the moon for him, he has been entertaining and backed up all of what he was saying he was going to do. Behind all his shit talk and antics he seems like a decent spud and normal enough sort of fella and apparently does a lot of charity work too.

muppet

Didn't see it but watched a bit of it on youtube (without sound) and it looked tedious.

Great comment below the video though:

'He floats like a buffalo and stings like a whale.'
MWWSI 2017

BennyHarp

Quote from: DuffleKing on November 29, 2015, 10:33:18 PM

Well GSTQ was his anthem pre fight so I presume he's of that view himself

God Save The Queen' rang out in the Esprit Arena in Dusseldorf on Saturday night, but that was not what Tyson Fury desired.

Instead, due to his self-identification as both British and Irish, the new heavyweight world champion wanted 'We Are The World' played in place of the British national anthem before his title bout with Wladimir Klitschko.

Fury's manager and promoter Mick Hennessy, quoted by The Sun, told of how his fighter's request was not carried out.

They weren't supposed to play a national anthem because he considers himself British and Irish.

They were supposed to play We Are The World but they played one national anthem. He's born in England but he's of Irish heritage.
Fury, who has called himself 'the first Irish heavyweight world champion', has established Irish roots.

His father is from Galway, his mother Antrim.

Back in 2012, he defeated Martin Rogan to win the then vacant Irish heavyweight title.

Green Fields

Fury has been stripped of the IBF title - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/35047606, the fact that there is 4 world titles shows what a joke boxing is, sure even Bruno won a world title!

Syferus

Quote from: Green Fields on December 09, 2015, 09:15:39 AM
Fury has been stripped of the IBF title - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/35047606, the fact that there is 4 world titles shows what a joke boxing is, sure even Bruno won a world title!

Makes a joke of the IBF. The man just beat the undisputed true world champion. Probably the only WC you could really recognize is the Ring's semi-imaginary one. At least there's a bit of integrity left in how that one works.

nrico2006

Boxing is a shambles and the IBF are a disgrace in this case, how can he be stripped so soon after winning it.  Surely they would benefit from being attached to the nearest thing to an undisputed champion that there is.  Was excited for Fury too as there was only one fight required to become undisputed now the situation becomes more diluted.  People point to the UFC as the example but I imagine that over time they will become fragmented too. 

finbar o tool

ridicules to be stripped of a belt for that reason, even if hes a bit of a twat!
An amateur requires a personal commitment that money cannot buy

Green Fields

Quote from: Syferus on December 09, 2015, 09:25:36 AM

Makes a joke of the IBF. The man just beat the undisputed true world champion. Probably the only WC you could really recognize is the Ring's semi-imaginary one. At least there's a bit of integrity left in how that one works.

Really does the WBC not count at all then?

Syferus

Quote from: Green Fields on December 09, 2015, 10:08:47 AM
Quote from: Syferus on December 09, 2015, 09:25:36 AM

Really does the WBC not count at all then?

Not a man on Earth besides Deontay Wilder thinks he is the lineal world champion. All he did was pick up the title Wlad's brother left behind when he got bored of beating up chumps.