Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimStynes

It's just a shame that he didn't get into the pro game earlier and that his style is quite boring for the average spectator to make him a proper prize fighter. I personally just love watching defensive fights like him and mayweather. His movement, speed, footwork and all the rest are class. Would love to be proved wrong, but I think he would beat both Quigg and and Frampton quite easily. Frampton said as much a while back. It's all about the money fights at the end of the day and Rigo isn't a big money fight.

Canelo and GGG is the next big prize fight! That will be massive.

gallsman

Great words from Canelo after the fight. Clearly full of respect and admiration for GGG but he'll clearly fight anyone.

Not much of an excuse but think Rigo fight was made at a week's notice or so?

omaghjoe

Disappointed with the fight overall, didnt get the action I thought we would, also thought the decision was far to wide but Canelo did win it clearly.

He came out on top of any of the big exchanges, he just looked far to strong and Cotto was subsequently doin alot of lateral movement. Canelo was just to big and strong for him, and he was fighting way over his natural weight. But he defo took some rounds where the action was subdued.  For alot of the fight Canelo looked like he couldnt have been bothered running after him...... or maybe his ring cutting isnt that great.

Whatever the case he won it and no matter what you say its a big win for Canelo so onwards.... He has to give a decision within 15 days to say wether he is gonna fight GGG. I know he said wants to but ODH has said he would like it to "marinate" for a year or so. And he probably actually probably has a bigger say in it than Canelo. I would say best case senario we will likely see it probably Septish next year.

On the other hand is this the end of the road for Cotto?

gallsman

I think Cotto has said he's going back to 154. Don't know what there is left for him though, he'd be better off calling it a day.

majestic

Any bars in belfast be showing the fight on Saturday night?

nrico2006

Looking more like Alvarez and DeLaHoya are going to chicken out of a fight with GGG.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

BennyHarp

Quote from: nrico2006 on November 27, 2015, 10:26:58 AM
Looking more like Alvarez and DeLaHoya are going to chicken out of a fight with GGG.

Hardly surprising - the business of boxing is about protecting the cash cow these days.
That was never a square ball!!

omaghjoe

I think the fight will happen, there might be an interim fight for both fighters (GGG at least) tho

Alot of the stuff about catchweights, PPV figures, etc etc that you hear in the press is just posturing, a form of provisional negotiations before real discussions begin.

bridgegael

Anyone getting the fury fight tomorrow night? Don't know what to do. Klitschos fights don't usually have value for money. Any good fights on undercard?
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

BennyHarp

Quote from: bridgegael on November 27, 2015, 09:30:55 PM
Anyone getting the fury fight tomorrow night? Don't know what to do. Klitschos fights don't usually have value for money. Any good fights on undercard?

Not very exciting though Jono Carroll and Hughie Fury might provide a bit of interest if they can find him an opponent.....

THE undercard for Wladimir Klitschko and Tyson Fury's heavyweight clash is looking fairly sparse. Heavyweight Hughie Fury, Tyson's cousin, was without an opponent as of today's weigh-in.

Ireland's quality 8-0 Jono Carroll, a Prizefighter champion, gets a big platform, boxing the 13-3 (11) Miguel Gonzalez from Honduras.

In a new move two AIBA Pro Boxing competitors will be on show. The APB, a new format, is essentially a pro competition for Olympic boxers and this is the first time it's been combined with a regular professional event. Germany's David Graf with box Kazakhstan's Anton Pinchuk in an eight-round bout on this bill before they resume attempting to qualify for the Olympic Games next year. This is perhaps the start of 'amateur' and professional boxing working more closely together.

The rest of the undercard is comprised of:

Robert Tlatlik versus Said Rahimi

Samy Musa versus Jay Spencer

Patrick Korte versus Moises Distino

Dominik Tietz versus Javad Sadeghi
That was never a square ball!!

Atticus_Finch

Undercard is a bit of a farce alright.  I think they went to the closest gym to pick up Hughie Fury's last minute opponent, Konstantin Airich. The highlight of his resume over the last couple of years was lasting almost 2 1/2 rounds with Anthony Joshua.

If you are getting the fight out, I don't think the undercard is what is going to sway you unfortunately.  The most interesting thing about the undercard will be the tattoo that Jono Carroll has on his back. I always felt the Sky cameras tried to swerve it during the prizefighter tournament that he won ...

Hope I am wrong but not expecting too much excitement from the main event. Tyson does a great job of selling it but expecting klitschko to sit behind his robotic jab and claim a comfortable points victory.
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

bridgegael

Ordered in anyway, agree bout undercard, just thought might be some value in it as its PoV.
Think the degale bute fight on later should be a good one, any ideas of start time for it? 
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Atticus_Finch

Should be kicking off at around about 4am with coverage starting about 3.

"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.