Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omaghjoe

Well Canelo is.... when he gets in the ring on fight night at least, its just that the f**ker can hydrate an entire weight division more than most fighters. Hear he was having trouble making 164 tho so will be interesting to see how his weigh in goes

Will be surprised if we see the winner v GGG soon tho, Canelo maybe but more likely to be Lee if he comes past Saunders.

gallsman

Quote from: omaghjoe on November 19, 2015, 04:15:38 PM
Well Canelo is.... when he gets in the ring on fight night at least, its just that the f**ker can hydrate an entire weight division more than most fighters. Hear he was having trouble making 164 tho so will be interesting to see how his weigh in goes

Will be surprised if we see the winner v GGG soon tho, Canelo maybe but more likely to be Lee if he comes past Saunders.

Nah, even Canelo isn't a true middleweight. He blows up a good bit and if he was keeping himself in fighting shape would be a light middle. He's only 5'9. Cotto is 5'7!

omaghjoe

No estoy de acuerdo contigo ;)

I take ur point but he looks heavier set than most MWs who usually come in under 6ft. I think he's gonna have bother making 154 soon enough but time will tell

He also actually looks naturally thicker than Cotto, plus those 2 inches, I think that size will be the deciding factor Saturday night but wouldnt be surprised if Cotto came out on top either.

gallsman

Trying to get Frampton tickets. Have they already sold out or not gone on sale yet? Thought it was this morning at 9.

gallsman

Just too slow by looks of things.

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Atticus_Finch

Hearing tickets sold out in ten minutes , serious demand. I see there is a further allocation going on sale at 12 for matchroom fight pass members which unfortunately will probably be the way of the future. Pay Mr Hearn an annual £30 subscription and get access to priority tickets. Think they do something similar with darts and pre-sale tickets.

Sad to see tickets going up on touting websites and genuine fans losing out or getting ripped off , suppose it is always going to happen with any high demand event.

Looking forward to the Cotto fight, would love to see him win but just can't see it panning out that way. Think too much was made of cotto'a win against an injury torn Sergio Martinez and a weight drained Geale. Alvarez to win on points or even a late stoppage.

On the WBC issue, it wasn't just the 300k that cotto was going to have to pay but he was also supposedly going to have to pay Golovkin (who was the WBC mandatory challenger) 800k step aside money.  1.1m out of a purse even for a big fight like this is a sizeable chunk and you can understand why he decided against it. Mayweather would always get a sanctioning fee reduction by negotiating with a bit of "you need me, more than I need you" persuasion.   Hopefully cotto's stance may in some way encourage a bit of a revolt against the sanctioning bodies and there may be an overhaul of them with the eradication of alphabet soup belts becoming a thing of the past. A boy can dream !
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

Boycey

Droves of tickets in almost every block of the arena for sale on Viagogo as soon as the tickets went on sale this morning. There are currently 11 pages of tickets with the cheapest coming in at €210. Somebody is having a right laugh...

gallsman

Canelo 155, Cotto 153.5 in shoes and socks.

gallsman

Decent fight, couple of good, explosive exchanges, particularly round 8. Canelo just too big and strong. Cotto was never in too much trouble but just couldn't make an impact.

The preceding Miura-Vargas fight was brilliant with a great comeback.

BennyHarp

Quote from: gallsman on November 22, 2015, 12:42:51 PM
Decent fight, couple of good, explosive exchanges, particularly round 8. Canelo just too big and strong. Cotto was never in too much trouble but just couldn't make an impact.

The preceding Miura-Vargas fight was brilliant with a great comeback.

The Vargas fight was superb, he showed some metal to withstand hits to that injury? What did you make of Rigondeaux? Once again, he didn't exactly blow me away against poor enough opposition. He just seems to want to do just enough to win fights, so no wonder he's not box office material. I just wonder how he'd react under immense pressure from Frampton or even Quigg! I'm not sure he's as far above them as everyone suggests, though he has bags and bags of talent!
That was never a square ball!!

gallsman

I downloaded it this morning and it was in two parts so only caught the final two fights. By all accounts, Rigo was horrendous.

BennyHarp

Quote from: gallsman on November 22, 2015, 08:21:25 PM
I downloaded it this morning and it was in two parts so only caught the final two fights. By all accounts, Rigo was horrendous.

It wasn't great, the crowd starting booing at one stage as he just tippy tapped his way through the fight to win clearly on points against a guy who, 2 fights previously was knocked out in round 1. He's obviously a huge talent but he doesn't seem to want to get into a fight, perhaps due to the fact that he's been floored a number of times in his career. I've watched his last 3 fights with a view to finding out about this guy who everyone says is in a class of his own, so far I've been exceptionally disappointed.

JimStynes

Rigo looks like the sort of fighter who can just lift his game when he needs to. It is probably all too easy for him at the minute. Against Donaire he was very very good. The man is a joy to watch when he is on form, his footwork and defensive skills are just incredible.

BennyHarp

Quote from: JimStynes on November 22, 2015, 08:40:40 PM
Rigo looks like the sort of fighter who can just lift his game when he needs to. It is probably all too easy for him at the minute. Against Donaire he was very very good. The man is a joy to watch when he is on form, his footwork and defensive skills are just incredible.

I agree, he has all the skills but he has been on the floor a number of times so his defensive shield can be broken down. I just don't think he is as far ahead of the rest as appears to be the general consensus but no doubt he'll prove me wrong by cleaning out the winner of Frampton Quigg.