Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bridgegael

eubank snr was nearly speechless last night when asked about the last time a eubank fought an irishman!
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

CiKe

Quote from: bridgegael on October 25, 2015, 08:18:13 PM
eubank snr was nearly speechless last night when asked about the last time a eubank fought an irishman!

;D

BennyHarp

Quote from: bridgegael on October 25, 2015, 08:18:13 PM

I quite like Eubank Jr and he has loads of potential to get right to the top. He is a showman like his dad and will create plenty of interest when he fights. Spike on the other hand, is a decent fighter, but he is no Steve Collins.
That was never a square ball!!

muppet

http://www.rte.ie/sport/boxing/2015/1028/737912-live-iaba-oireachtas-billy-walsh/

.......In his opening statement, Christle said negotiations aimed at keeping the coach in Ireland were unsuccessful and it was a matter of huge regret that Walsh had resigned.

He said the projected cost of the multi-year contract to the IABA was €1.6 million, which would create a long-term liability for the association and that such a path would have been "irresponsible".

....The AIBA's financial prudence in the matter will have confused many, particularly as Christle admitted that: "The IABA was not in a position to make any contribution towards funding."
Indeed, it had already been established that financial backing for the deal would be provided entirely by the Irish Sports Council

The IABA problem was with financing a contract, that they would not have to finance?? They had no financial liability for the contract but it would have been 'irresponsible' for them to accept it because it would create a 'long-term' liability'.

Is this the most idiotic opening statement ever made?
MWWSI 2017

Atticus_Finch

Frampton vs Quigg confirmed for February 27th in Manchester.

Delighted to see the fight finally being made but a bit gutted at same time as I'm on a stag do that weekend and won't be able to make it.
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

gallsman

Quote from: Atticus_Finch on November 02, 2015, 06:29:57 PM

Delighted to see the fight finally being made but a bit gutted at same time as I'm on a stag do that weekend and won't be able to make it.

Definitely going to be on the hunt for tickets for this. Can fly from Barcelona for 60 quid and with a few of us in an Air BnB could make it as cheap a weekend away as you'd get.

BennyHarp

Quote from: gallsman on November 02, 2015, 07:33:55 PM
Quote from: Atticus_Finch on November 02, 2015, 06:29:57 PM

Definitely going to be on the hunt for tickets for this. Can fly from Barcelona for 60 quid and with a few of us in an Air BnB could make it as cheap a weekend away as you'd get.

Can't wait...short trip on the train for me. Hopefully can pick up tickets!

STREET FIGHTER

Who wins this weekend Smith v Fielding?

Muzz

omaghjoe

Cotto v Canelo coming up Saturday night with real potential to be fight of the year.

Canelo quite heavy favourite, but its no gimmie for him IMO. Cotto will easily be his biggest threat to date with the exception of Mayweather.

Also Cotto stripped of MW belt by WBC yesterday, wouldnt pay their fees, but Canelo can still win the belt, strange situation.

BennyHarp

Interesting couple of days of press conferences for the Frampton v Quigg fight. A few thoughts, Frampton came across as being a bit rattled in my opinion, Quigg seemed very relaxed but perhaps is a bit too thick to even know what's happening, Eddie Hearn is a dick and finally, although the atmosphere in Belfast today was very good, do we really need the rent-a-mouths shouting their "hilarious" comments throughout the whole thing?

nrico2006

Quote from: omaghjoe on November 18, 2015, 04:37:44 PM
Cotto v Canelo coming up Saturday night with real potential to be fight of the year.

Canelo quite heavy favourite, but its no gimmie for him IMO. Cotto will easily be his biggest threat to date with the exception of Mayweather.

Also Cotto stripped of MW belt by WBC yesterday, wouldnt pay their fees, but Canelo can still win the belt, strange situation.

I seen that about Cotto - but can he now win the belt again on Saturday?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

gallsman

Quote from: nrico2006 on November 19, 2015, 08:53:19 AM

Not unless he pays the sanctioning fee. They'll not recognise him. Good on him telling them to f**k off. Alphabet soup.

omaghjoe

Quote from: gallsman on November 19, 2015, 02:11:51 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on November 19, 2015, 08:53:19 AM

Not unless he pays the sanctioning fee. They'll not recognise him. Good on him telling them to f**k off. Alphabet soup.

If he wins he was likely gonna vacate it anyway, so he probably thought I'll keep my 300K

I think the real farce here is Cotto being the lineal  MW champ and never fighting anywhere near 160lbs

gallsman

Neither of them are true middleweights and the increasing number of catch weight fights needs to be addressed. Will make a winner vs GGG very interesting.