Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

http://ringtv.craveonline.com/news/394975-carl-frampton-wasnt-perfect-but-he-was-very-good-weekend-review

Interesting how the fight played outside of Ireland and Britain. They're looking at the Santa Cruz possibilities rather than the Quigg ones. And they reckon Quigg-Donaire in Dubai is where the Hearn camp are heading.

DuffleKing

How does Mayweather make any money from this Berto fight?  I assume noone will go or but ppv for what will be a non event?

The Iceman

heard the fight could be on network TV in America. CBS would pay decent money for it.
The only fight out there I'm interested in is Golovkin and Lemieux. Would love to be at the garden for it!

I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

omaghjoe

Spot on Iceman should be a cracker, Leminex has the power to at least keep GGG off and maybe even bother him. His nonexistent boxing skills should mean Golovkin has little trouble tho..

Cotto Canelo should be more interesting, well matched in power, weight and style. I don't think its officially made yet tho, but looks like Nov

Atticus_Finch

Lee vs Saunders fight is postponed and is now taking place in Manchester October 10th.

Official line is that Lee has a virus, hearing that the real reason is to do with poor ticket sales for Thomond Park.  Bit of a shame for Andy Lee, always comes across as a decent fella.
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

Asal Mor

Quote from: Atticus_Finch on August 12, 2015, 11:53:15 PM
Lee vs Saunders fight is postponed and is now taking place in Manchester October 10th.

Official line is that Lee has a virus, hearing that the real reason is to do with poor ticket sales for Thomond Park.  Bit of a shame for Andy Lee, always comes across as a decent fella.

That's a shame alright. It meant a lot to him to defend his title here. Maybe he's too nice to be a big draw or to make enough headlines. It pays to be obnoxious in boxing/UFC.

I'm surprised too at Saunders saying admitting that Golovkin would beat either of them. Probably true but it's not good marketing.

DennistheMenace

Lee just doesn't attract the Irish publics imagination for one reason or another.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Asal Mor on August 13, 2015, 06:16:16 AM

That's a shame alright. It meant a lot to him to defend his title here. Maybe he's too nice to be a big draw or to make enough headlines. It pays to be obnoxious in boxing/UFC.

I'm surprised too at Saunders saying admitting that Golovkin would beat either of them. Probably true but it's not good marketing.

LOL did he say that ;D

Atticus_Finch

Quote from: Asal Mor on August 13, 2015, 06:16:16 AM

From chatting to a few boxing fans when the fight was announced, while feeling that the bout itself had the makings of a good fight were not willing to make the trip to Limerick as they felt having two fighters with a travelling background fighting in Limerick was a recipe for crowd trouble.  Also Tyrone boxing fans tell me they are busy that weekend as well  ;)
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

macdanger2

Great wins today for Ward & Conlon. Only saw ward's fight, he's a beast of a man

For some reason the place was almost empty though, not sure if the tickets are too pricey or what

omaghjoe

Seen Cotto v Canelo finally confirmed for Nov 21 at Mandalay Bay.

Should be a cracker. Canelo is a the favourite but by no means a gimmie and I could actaully see Cotto coming out of it as handy. Canelo really needs this win to kick on, he hasnt really beaten anyone of serious worth apart from a spent Shane Mosley

macdanger2

Quote from: Declan on August 27, 2015, 07:45:50 AM
http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/boxing-bombshell-as-head-coach-billy-walsh-quits-for-us-31481440.html

Not great news at all - more amateur administrators?

Huge loss, although a program that's reliant on one man is somewhat flawed anyway

omaghjoe

This is getting tiresome at this point

http://www.rte.ie/sport/boxing/2015/0901/724983-andy-lee/

Obviously the ticket weren't moving in Manchester either

::)

BennyHarp

Quote from: omaghjoe on September 01, 2015, 08:32:42 PM
This is getting tiresome at this point

http://www.rte.ie/sport/boxing/2015/0901/724983-andy-lee/

Obviously the ticket weren't moving in Manchester either

::)

It'll be a hard fight to sell for a third time.
That was never a square ball!!