Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atticus_Finch

Moving up in weight doesn't make sense.  I could be wrong but I thought he had said in interview about a week before the fight he was making weight fairly easy.  He had a height and reach disadvantage last night, moving up in weight will make that a common occurrence.

Fighting outside of Belfast was always going to be a big step, he's returning with a victory and while he hasn't performed as he wanted to, he is still amongst the best of his division and beats Scott Quigg if they meet.

Was surprised at the manner of the Quigg victory. i felt Martinez was going to be in with a real chance.  Need to watch the fight back but after the 1st round I thought Quigg had a tough night's work ahead of him.   Martinez could have been smarter and taken his time after the 1st knockdown rather than try get straight back up.  Flicked straight over to the Frampton fight and didn't see Martinez's post fight interview, not sure if he even did one but would be interested to hear his views on what happened.
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Atticus_Finch on July 19, 2015, 10:04:12 AM
Moving up in weight doesn't make sense.  I could be wrong but I thought he had said in interview about a week before the fight he was making weight fairly easy.  He had a height and reach disadvantage last night, moving up in weight will make that a common occurrence.

Fighting outside of Belfast was always going to be a big step, he's returning with a victory and while he hasn't performed as he wanted to, he is still amongst the best of his division and beats Scott Quigg if they meet.

Was surprised at the manner of the Quigg victory. i felt Martinez was going to be in with a real chance.  Need to watch the fight back but after the 1st round I thought Quigg had a tough night's work ahead of him.   Martinez could have been smarter and taken his time after the 1st knockdown rather than try get straight back up.  Flicked straight over to the Frampton fight and didn't see Martinez's post fight interview, not sure if he even did one but would be interested to hear his views on what happened.

He's always met the weight with no difficulty... Its just one of those fight seen him in Ulster Hall fighting a tall Scottish fighter which went the unexpected distance then also.... Lessons need to be learned when boxing these type of fighters, is this management?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

gallsman

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 19, 2015, 10:11:50 AM
Quote from: Atticus_Finch on July 19, 2015, 10:04:12 AM

He's always met the weight with no difficulty... Its just one of those fight seen him in Ulster Hall fighting a tall Scottish fighter which went the unexpected distance then also.... Lessons need to be learned when boxing these type of fighters, is this management?

A lot of people wouldn't be convinced my McGuigan's style and tactics. There was a lot of "I made Carl" and "I brought Carl" in the interview shown before the fight. I'm not sure selling your soul to Al Haymon is the right answer either. If Frampton had been knocked out last night, I can't imagine rebuilding his career would have been high on Haymon's list of priorities.

Christmas Lights

Quote from: ONeill on July 19, 2015, 12:10:45 AM
Frampton was shown up tonight as an OK fighter. Same as McCloskey - he looks good against hand-picked warm-ups but as soon as you go looking for genuine fighters they'll struggle.

Its obviously a wind up comment from Oneill but I'll bite anyway.

Very unfair to say that Frampton is the same as McCloskey.  Number 1, McCloskey was only ever a good enough European level fighter and never held a world title which Frampton has. Number 2, McCloskey lacked the natural power at his weight to really trouble opponents, the same cannot be said of Frampton who has real clout when he plants his feet. 
I for one was glad to see Frampton being pushed to the pin of his collar, it maybe shows him now what level he needs to be at to compete at the very highest level and the knockdowns will show him that he is not invincible and has to be more aware of his defensive duties.  He also was very rash I felt in the pocket where he is normally so good.  Gonzalez could bang himself and sometimes Frampton got into a swinging match which at times you feared the worst on Saturday night if he got caught.  He will analyse the fight though, look at where he went wrong and improve upon it.  Thats how you progress at anything.  He is still undefeated and near enough dominated the rest of the fight after the first 2 rounds and several low blows.  Make no mistake about it, Gonzalez was one hardy boy who could take a punch and still keep coming.  Locals where apparently saying that this was going to be a lot closer fight than bookies and the general public thought.  Ill give credit to Frampton and think he can move onto bigger things from this.  He fought in El Paso, Texas at 4pm in the day and came away with the win.  There is a lot of positive to take from that.

I still think he beats Quigg.  I watched the Martinez-Quigg fight and to me, Martinez is damaged goods who is now afraid to take a punch.  Martinez also looked a little out of shape to me on Saturday night, looked a bit soft around the mid section, usually he is in pretty good shape.  After bullying Quigg for the first round, he went down as soon as Quigg landed the first decent punch on him in the 2nd round.  After that he didn't want to know and was glad to get out of there.  He hasn't been the same since he got knocked out against Frampton.             

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Christmas Lights on July 20, 2015, 10:05:05 AM
Quote from: ONeill on July 19, 2015, 12:10:45 AM
Frampton was shown up tonight as an OK fighter. Same as McCloskey - he looks good against hand-picked warm-ups but as soon as you go looking for genuine fighters they'll struggle.

Its obviously a wind up comment from Oneill but I'll bite anyway.

Very unfair to say that Frampton is the same as McCloskey.  Number 1, McCloskey was only ever a good enough European level fighter and never held a world title which Frampton has. Number 2, McCloskey lacked the natural power at his weight to really trouble opponents, the same cannot be said of Frampton who has real clout when he plants his feet. 
I for one was glad to see Frampton being pushed to the pin of his collar, it maybe shows him now what level he needs to be at to compete at the very highest level and the knockdowns will show him that he is not invincible and has to be more aware of his defensive duties.  He also was very rash I felt in the pocket where he is normally so good.  Gonzalez could bang himself and sometimes Frampton got into a swinging match which at times you feared the worst on Saturday night if he got caught.  He will analyse the fight though, look at where he went wrong and improve upon it.  Thats how you progress at anything.  He is still undefeated and near enough dominated the rest of the fight after the first 2 rounds and several low blows.  Make no mistake about it, Gonzalez was one hardy boy who could take a punch and still keep coming.  Locals where apparently saying that this was going to be a lot closer fight than bookies and the general public thought.  Ill give credit to Frampton and think he can move onto bigger things from this.  He fought in El Paso, Texas at 4pm in the day and came away with the win.  There is a lot of positive to take from that.

I still think he beats Quigg.  I watched the Martinez-Quigg fight and to me, Martinez is damaged goods who is now afraid to take a punch.  Martinez also looked a little out of shape to me on Saturday night, looked a bit soft around the mid section, usually he is in pretty good shape.  After bullying Quigg for the first round, he went down as soon as Quigg landed the first decent punch on him in the 2nd round.  After that he didn't want to know and was glad to get out of there.  He hasn't been the same since he got knocked out against Frampton.           

Can't argue with that, there was mistakes by both parties I'd say in the Frampton/McGuigan camp, I felt that he never seemed up for the fight, no fire in the belly or focus .. Carl walked into one punch and Gonzalez caught him with a cracker for the second knockdown... It happens, What Carl did next was not panic tried various different ways of trying to break down his opponent , you are right when it got to the wild exchanges, I thought for sure he was going to get caught but Gonzalez was starting to slow down and Carl started connecting with more punches....

so lessons need to be taken from this, there are no real easy fights, never take a boxer for granted, Carl struggles against taller fighters so moving up a weight will be stupid, fight Quigg and get that monkey off his back... then go for Cruz, by then he'll have had a few defences and more than enough money to retire and enjoy his family time.

As for the McCloskey references ask someone with a bitta knowledge on boxing like Atticus Finch and he'll also back up what you said about McCloskey, watched McCloskey 2 times and he laboured in each fight, that was a silly/poor wind up by your man
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Christmas Lights

Is it just me or does anyone else think Barry McGuigan is insufferable to listen to.  I cant warm to the man at all. 

NAG1

Quote from: Christmas Lights on July 20, 2015, 03:18:01 PM
Is it just me or does anyone else think Barry McGuigan is insufferable to listen to.  I cant warm to the man at all.

+1

I think he is the reason why a lot of people would like to see Frampton fail. He has everything that people in the North of the country could and would get behind, but then you have that other pr**k mouthing off at every opportunity and that turns people off.

tyroneboi

Quote from: NAG1 on July 21, 2015, 01:36:55 PM

+1

I think he is the reason why a lot of people would like to see Frampton fail. He has everything that people in the North of the country could and would get behind, but then you have that other pr**k mouthing off at every opportunity and that turns people off.

A year or 18 months ago I would have disagreed with CL but the past while he is starting to grate on me big style. His dislike of Eddie Hearn is delaying the Quigg fight in my opinion. On the other hand I think Shane is a great trainer by the looks of it and actually talks a lot of sense. Whether he got the last fight wrong in terms of the camp and tactics is hard to know but I am sure he will learn from that too.

Christmas Lights

Quote from: tyroneboi on July 21, 2015, 01:59:17 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on July 21, 2015, 01:36:55 PM

+1

A year or 18 months ago I would have disagreed with CL but the past while he is starting to grate on me big style. His dislike of Eddie Hearn is delaying the Quigg fight in my opinion. On the other hand I think Shane is a great trainer by the looks of it and actually talks a lot of sense. Whether he got the last fight wrong in terms of the camp and tactics is hard to know but I am sure he will learn from that too.

Shane seems a more likeable character than his auld boy in fairness.  He's still a really young trainer also so he will make mistakes also.  It wasn't a disaster Saturday, it wasn't a great performance but he got the job done.  Be very interesting to see who they line up next.

Preferably I'd like to see in this order

-Scott Quigg
-Leo Santa Cruz
-Guillermo Rigondeaux

I seen that in the last few days though there is talk in ring magazine of Quigg vs Rigondeaux

Would Donaire not still be a big draw at this weight?  I don't really see anyone mentioning him for Frampton?

gallsman

Quote from: Christmas Lights on July 21, 2015, 02:04:26 PM
Would Donaire not still be a big draw at this weight?  I don't really see anyone mentioning him for Frampton?

Think the fact that Rigondeaux completely bamboozled him and he got badly knocked out by Walters has set him back a lot. Think he's back at super bantam though.

Christmas Lights

Walters would hardly be an option for Frampton?  Too big?

Syferus

Is there really people as small as to want Frampton to lose because they don't like McGuigan? Pathetic if true. Frampton has been a class act in and out of the ring and deserves all the support he can get on this island.

NAG1

Quote from: Syferus on July 21, 2015, 02:31:50 PM
Is there really people as small as to want Frampton to lose because they don't like McGuigan? Pathetic if true. Frampton has been a class act in and out of the ring and deserves all the support he can get on this island.

Yes when he has a mouthpiece like McGuigan doing all the talking for him, 'I made him' type quotes coming from BMcG certainly dont help.

People dislike BMcG he is making big money off the back of this so yeah I would say people would like to see this end even.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: NAG1 on July 21, 2015, 03:18:07 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 21, 2015, 02:31:50 PM

Yes when he has a mouthpiece like McGuigan doing all the talking for him, 'I made him' type quotes coming from BMcG certainly dont help.

People dislike BMcG he is making big money off the back of this so yeah I would say people would like to see this end even.

Lads you must be very ill informed on some aspects of this, I've known Carl many years ( my wife's cuz) he's as nice a person you'll ever meet... Barry took Carl on, went to him and asked to be his first fighter, similarities were uncanny in fairness, great amateur and  world champion just like Barry, Carl bought into it and Barrys promise of making him a world champion came true, Barry never took a penny off Carl until he was champion... That was his promise from the start and that's how it went... Carl stays with Barry at his home every week during training, and the only money paid out is for his coach Shane and the others involved in training, The McQuigans treat Carl like their own son... Carl also gets a cut off the Cyclone promotions company.   

Outside looking in people will see Barry jumping about and saying this and that.... In my view its all promotion and bigging up Carl... It may come to a natural point in the partnership that they decide to part ways, happens in all walks off life, but for now he's got all he's wanted...

gallsman

Quote from: Christmas Lights on July 21, 2015, 02:17:55 PM
Walters would hardly be an option for Frampton?  Too big?

I'm not suggesting it at all, just pointing out that Donaire got badly shook up by him is all.

If talk about moving up in weight is true though, Walters is the top dog in the division and theoretically someone Carl should be chasing. I don't think he'd want any of him though. Simply a monster of a featherweight.