Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Quote from: Syferus on July 18, 2015, 11:33:40 PM
Quote from: Atticus_Finch on July 18, 2015, 11:09:59 PM
Frampton showed great character and composure to come back from that nightmare of a first round.

Biggest winner of the night is Eddie Hearn. His bargaining power to make Frampton vs Quigg happen on matchroom's terms looking a whole lot healthier after tonight's proceedings.

Doubt it highly. Framps fought a tough Mexican in borderland USA on a canvas clearly designed for Chavez Jr. - he pull the exact same BS in the Andy Lee fight. Quit had the royal treatment at home. The pace on a proper canvas in Manchester was a world away. Kiko is exciting but so fecking full of holes it isn't funny.

McGuigan will be no more receptive to hardball by Hearn now that his fighter has a profile in the States.

Let's not get carried away. He's had one fight in a half empty arena in the middle of the afternoon. He does not "have a profile" just yet.

Atticus_Finch

Some amount of low blows in the fights tonight. Points deductions have this Crolla's fight.

A profile in the states ? Wise up. I don't think Frampton has a profile off the back of a fight that was staged at 3pm in the afternoon in the US against a fighter that isn't even ranked within the top 50 of his division (box rec)

Don't think a move up in weight would be a good idea either Gallsman.
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

Syferus

Quote from: gallsman on July 18, 2015, 11:37:04 PM
Frampton showed great character and composure to come back from that nightmare of a first round.

Biggest winner of the night is Eddie Hearn. His bargaining power to make Frampton vs Quigg happen on matchroom's terms looking a whole lot healthier after tonight's proceedings.

Doubt it highly. Framps fought a tough Mexican in borderland USA on a canvas clearly designed for Chavez Jr. - he pull the exact same BS in the Andy Lee fight. Quit had the royal treatment at home. The pace on a proper canvas in Manchester was a world away. Kiko is exciting but so fecking full of holes it isn't funny.

McGuigan will be no more receptive to hardball by Hearn now that his fighter has a profile in the States.

Let's not get carried away. He's had one fight in a half empty arena in the middle of the afternoon. He does not "have a profile" just yet.

It's being aired nationally on CBS - people in the States will know Frampton's name and after an exciting fight like that he'll be flooded with card offers in the States. I'm not fecking saying he's going to be main-eventing in the MGM. Quigg wouldn't be known from Adam even in casual boxing circles in the U.S.

He now has more options and isn't as reliant on the Framps-Quigg fight to make money as Quigg is. Unless Hearn cops that he can't play hardball and gets serious I fully expect Frampton to call his bluff and build his profile in the States and forget about the Quigg fight in the near term.

SHEEDY

Thought Crolla was robbed there especially with the 2 point deduction. How can 3 judges score it so different?
nil satis nisi optimum

gallsman

Quote from: Syferus on July 18, 2015, 11:42:33 PM

It's being aired nationally on CBS - people in the States will know Frampton's name and after an exciting fight like that he'll be flooded with card offers in the States. I'm not fecking saying he's going to be main-eventing in the MGM. Quigg wouldn't be known from Adam even in casual boxing circles in the U.S.

He now has more options and isn't as reliant on the Framps-Quigg fight to make money as Quigg is. Unless Hearn cops that he can't play hardball and gets serious I fully expect Frampton to call his bluff and build his profile in the States and forget about the Quigg fight in the near term.

If Rigo goes up to fight Lomachenko, who's left in the division for him to fight AND make serious money off? Quigg is his cash cow at super bantam. I don't think he has the size for feather so Santa Cruz, Mares etc all looking like very, very long shots in my book

BennyHarp

Quote from: Syferus on July 18, 2015, 11:42:33 PM

It's being aired nationally on CBS - people in the States will know Frampton's name and after an exciting fight like that he'll be flooded with card offers in the States. Quigg wouldn't be known from Adam even in casual boxing circles in the U.S.

He now has much more options and isn't as reliant on the Framps-Quigg fight  to make money as Quigg is. Unless Hearn cops that he can't play hardball and gets serious I fully expect Frampton to call his bluff and build his profile in the States and forget about the Quigg fight in the near term.

Frampton won't make anywhere near as much money for a fight in the U.S as he will fighting Quigg in Manchester or Belfast. Profile is all very well but who is the opponent that the America public are crying out for Frampton to fight? He will fill under cards in America and no more. The Quigg fight will happen, just a matter of who will be in the best position to negotiate the highest percentage when it does. Tonight shifted that power very slightly towards Quigg as he was very impressive.
That was never a square ball!!

Atticus_Finch

Crolla's definitely hard done by there.  Thought the points deductions would have seen him through.

Who do you see as being one of these fighters that would be looking for Frampton and which would make for a big fight in the states Syferus ?

Milltown expecting a post from you. Not meaning to come across as negative towards Carl here, I'm a fan as you know.  Just think tonight has an impact on what his next steps are.
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

ONeill

Frampton was shown up tonight as an OK fighter. Same as McCloskey - he looks good against hand-picked warm-ups but as soon as you go looking for genuine fighters they'll struggle.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Syferus

Quote from: ONeill on July 19, 2015, 12:10:45 AM
Frampton was shown up tonight as an OK fighter. Same as McCloskey - he looks good against hand-picked warm-ups but as soon as you go looking for genuine fighters they'll struggle.

Frampton is leagues beyond someone like McCloskey. He's already proven to be in the top bracket in the world in his weight. I can't believe you'd even type that with a straight face ONiell.

ONeill

Maybe. But I know I'm correct. He didn't do it tonight against someone ranked 13th in his own country's rankings for that weight.

Explain how he proved he's in the top bracket?

Syferus

Quote from: ONeill on July 19, 2015, 12:50:56 AM
Maybe. But I know I'm correct. He didn't do it tonight against someone ranked 13th in his own country's rankings for that weight.

Explain how he proved he's in the top bracket?

http://ringtv.craveonline.com/ratings/jr-featherweight

He is literally in the top two in the world in the most respected world rankings in boxing. He's been ranked in the top ten in the world for almost three years straight to boot. You've compared him to someone who never looked at comfort outside of European level. It's a mad comparison to make ONeill.

ONeill

Which fight made you realise he's in the top bracket?

Syferus

Quote from: ONeill on July 19, 2015, 01:03:29 AM

Since I first saw Frampton he's looked classy. He's progressively got better and better over the last few years. A tough fight in America changes féck all. Indeed tough might be pushing what happened - after the first round Frampton controlled that fight bar maybe the 9th and 10th rounds. Trying to use that performance as a stick to beat him in the face of his body of work is a little OTT to say the least.

ONeill

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Atticus_Finch on July 18, 2015, 11:55:40 PM
Crolla's definitely hard done by there.  Thought the points deductions would have seen him through.

Who do you see as being one of these fighters that would be looking for Frampton and which would make for a big fight in the states Syferus ?

Milltown expecting a post from you. Not meaning to come across as negative towards Carl here, I'm a fan as you know.  Just think tonight has an impact on what his next steps are.

What can I say, he dodged a bullet tonight in my book, was happy about this fight from the very start, originally he'd a fight in New york/Boston then it was changed to El Paso... I thought then and there he was being hijacked... My father inlaw (who's carls uncle) also thought this was a lot tighter than people predicted... I thought that his tactics were wrong probably down to not respecting the opponent and going for a knockout Carl looked heavy footed and had no fire in his belly... While the knockdowns were good hits I don't think they were punishing hits.. As for going up a weight that's silly, Carl is very small and he's been fighting at that weight easily for a lot of years and there has never been weight issues... The canvas was the same for both fighters.

I think on reflection he'll be glad to get home with the belt and rest up and reassess his options he's still the champion of a real belt. Quigg has done really well didn't expect it to be that easy but Carl is still the main event between the two of them....

Carl gave the Mexican great plaudits after the fight in fairness but probably gave out too many excuses for his poorer than expected performance.... I'd 20 people in house shouting at the tv last night! Some very relieved relatives when the correct decision was given
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea