Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Quote from: laoislad on June 27, 2015, 03:52:02 PM
GOLD for Laois!!
O'Reilly was great. Massive underdog against the Azerbaijani, even after the first 2 rounds, though the other lad looked a shade classier, but a super last round from O'Reilly got him the deserved victory.

I thought Katie was blessed to get the decision in the semi, but was very good in the final

omaghjoe

Hmm... just spotted that the next Frampton fight is on FTA (Terestial) TV in the states.
Great for myself, however Im not sure if its a great move by his promoters, the fight is on the undercard of the Chavez Jr fight, but from what I understand it wont be shown on that package. This means that they'll be relying on the exposure of the FTA TV and their own marketing (Which is not likely to be much) and not piggy backing on the Chavez Jr marketing. Still I suppose maybe he gets his own (albeit limited) independent exposure.
When you consider where Carl is coming from to the level this fight is in the states you gotta wonder if its worth it. At that weight etc ATM there isnt the interest. Rigondeax is the best fighter in the division but he aint a big draw in the states so if he was gonna fight him it would likely be in Belfast. The most money he would generate is likely from a Quigg fight but it also is a fight that would take place In Ireland/England

On a side note Chavez Jr is a great draw but he aint no chip of the old block!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: omaghjoe on July 01, 2015, 04:51:19 PM
Hmm... just spotted that the next Frampton fight is on FTA (Terestial) TV in the states.
Great for myself, however Im not sure if its a great move by his promoters, the fight is on the undercard of the Chavez Jr fight, but from what I understand it wont be shown on that package. This means that they'll be relying on the exposure of the FTA TV and their own marketing (Which is not likely to be much) and not piggy backing on the Chavez Jr marketing. Still I suppose maybe he gets his own (albeit limited) independent exposure.
When you consider where Carl is coming from to the level this fight is in the states you gotta wonder if its worth it. At that weight etc ATM there isnt the interest. Rigondeax is the best fighter in the division but he aint a big draw in the states so if he was gonna fight him it would likely be in Belfast. The most money he would generate is likely from a Quigg fight but it also is a fight that would take place In Ireland/England

Bit mystified with this fight myself.... Be very little fans heading over also, so completely on his own... Is it purely American exposure (now limited if you're right) and big purse??
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

The Iceman

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 01, 2015, 05:28:51 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on July 01, 2015, 04:51:19 PM

Bit mystified with this fight myself.... Be very little fans heading over also, so completely on his own... Is it purely American exposure (now limited if you're right) and big purse??
I looked in to going from Seattle. It's not the handiest spot to get to, it will be hotter than hell and it's a rough town, close to the border, known for it's problems.
it's not the platform I would launch US exposure from but who knows what the master plan is here lads...
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

omaghjoe

Wouldn't be the handiest place to get to now old El Paso and it suffers a bit of rep due its proximate to Juarez don't know whether its justified or not, but it is a place that seems to host a lot of fights. Im guessing the opportunity came on the under card of Chazez Jr and they took it, not considering alot about the location, opponent etc just the chance to get the foot in the US door. Although if its not actually going to be shown with the Chavez Jr fight, it seems to take alot of that benefit away

Not sure if the promoters have a full understanding of how it works in America. I would hate to see a repeat of the McGuigan fiasco where one of our best fighters is cajoled into fighting in unfavourable conditions and loses against a mediocre opponent, especially when the rewards may be futile.

BennyHarp

Quote from: omaghjoe on July 01, 2015, 08:56:37 PM
Wouldn't be the handiest place to get to now old El Paso and it suffers a bit of rep due its proximate to Juarez don't know whether its justified or not, but it is a place that seems to host a lot of fights. Im guessing the opportunity came on the under card of Chazez Jr and they took it, not considering alot about the location, opponent etc just the chance to get the foot in the US door. Although if its not actually going to be shown with the Chavez Jr fight, it seems to take alot of that benefit away

Not sure if the promoters have a full understanding of how it works in America. I would hate to see a repeat of the McGuigan fiasco where one of our best fighters is cajoled into fighting in unfavourable conditions and loses against a mediocre opponent, especially when the rewards may be futile.

Funny, that ran through my head too. The money for this division doesnt seem to be in America.
That was never a square ball!!

CiKe

Quote from: BennyHarp on July 01, 2015, 09:01:03 PM

Funny, that ran through my head too. The money for this division doesnt seem to be in America.

I'd say most of us thought something similar but surely McGuigan couldn't let that happen given his own experience?

omaghjoe

Aye youd think that Cike

Actually I just had a thought...could the aim of this to be as a precursor to a bout with Leo Santa Cruz? Maybe aiming to be on the under card of Canelo - Cotto in Nov?.......IF that is the logic then a least there appears to be some sorta strategy.

CiKe

Quote from: omaghjoe on July 01, 2015, 10:31:26 PM
Aye youd think that Cike

Actually I just had a thought...could the aim of this to be as a precursor to a bout with Leo Santa Cruz? Maybe aiming to be on the under card of Canelo - Cotto in Nov?.......IF that is the logic then a least there appears to be some sorta strategy.
[/quote

Not sure, some good boxers in division but it Def isn't boxoffice type stuff for wider America. No idea really on the numbers but i'd have thought they would both stand to make more headlining Belfast than that under card?

DuffleKing

Quote from: CiKe on July 01, 2015, 10:24:18 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on July 01, 2015, 09:01:03 PM

I'd say most of us thought something similar but surely McGuigan couldn't let that happen given his own experience?

The fight is in an indoor, air conditioned arena

Gabriel_Hurl

Fury vs Klitschko confirmed for October

STREET FIGHTER

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on July 06, 2015, 07:22:18 PM

Fury any chance?

Gabriel_Hurl

If Klitschko dies before the fight - maybe

BennyHarp

Quote from: STREET FIGHTER on July 06, 2015, 07:25:34 PM

Fury any chance?

Fury has a punchers chance but Klitschko will box the lugs off him and win on a wide points margin.
That was never a square ball!!

JoG2

Quote from: BennyHarp on July 06, 2015, 08:10:32 PM
Quote from: STREET FIGHTER on July 06, 2015, 07:25:34 PM

Fury any chance?

Fury has a punchers chance but Klitschko will box the lugs off him and win on a wide points margin.

Lesser men have floored big Tyson. It's his moment in the sun but there's a huge gulf between the 2