Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STREET FIGHTER

Quote from: omaghjoe on June 20, 2015, 07:40:56 AM
Well it sounds like Lee v Saunders is gonna be made with Thomond Park the venue in September. Tough one for Lee but he should have enough, probably the most profitable fight for him out there at the moment.

Saunders not dangerous?

Beat Eubanks Junior easy enough thee a while back.....

BennyHarp

Quote from: STREET FIGHTER on June 20, 2015, 07:08:18 PM
Well it sounds like Lee v Saunders is gonna be made with Thomond Park the venue in September. Tough one for Lee but he should have enough, probably the most profitable fight for him out there at the moment.

Saunders not dangerous?

Did he win easy enough? Was hanging on a bit in the second half of that fight!

Looks like Paul Smith has made a bit of a joke of himself for tonight's fight with Andre Ward. Missed the 172 catch weight by over 4.5lb. Agreed with Wards team on a weight of 181 for the AM weight check and came in at 184.4. Fight goes ahead but losing 25% of his purse. Surely it's a major fcuk up for a boxer not to make weight!
That was never a square ball!!

tyroneboi

That Paul Smith weight issue seems very strange. How can he miss it by that much?? I was reading there about the morning weigh in at 184.4 lbs yet his last fight he was 165.5lbs! There seems to be a lot of talk about catch weight fights the past few weeks anyway.

BennyHarp

Quote from: tyroneboi on June 20, 2015, 10:14:04 PM
That Paul Smith weight issue seems very strange. How can he miss it by that much?? I was reading there about the morning weigh in at 184.4 lbs yet his last fight he was 165.5lbs! There seems to be a lot of talk about catch weight fights the past few weeks anyway.

It's so way off that you'd think it was done on purpose. Is he hoping to be much heavier and pack a harder punch? Knowing that a punchers chance us his only chance. Smith always struck me as being a limited but very professional guy and I just can't see someone coming out of Joe Gallaghers gym being so badly prepared.

omaghjoe

Seen Broner and Porter on on night there, Porter winning handy enough until the last round when Broner unexpectedly put him on his ass, held on tho and a cracking 12th round was had to boot!

Porter by UD

Is there any boxer more dislike able than Broner?

BennyHarp

Quote from: omaghjoe on June 21, 2015, 04:51:54 AM
Seen Broner and Porter on on night there, Porter winning handy enough until the last round when Broner unexpectedly put him on his ass, held on tho and a cracking 12th round was had to boot!

Porter by UD

Is there any boxer more dislike able than Broner?

I don't mind characters like Broner as long as he backs it up in the ring. Mouthing off like he does, then fighting like a bum who won't engage and holds all night just makes him look silly. Every time Broner has stepped up in quality he has been outclassed. Surely his big money earning days are numbered?

STREET FIGHTER

Quote from: BennyHarp on June 20, 2015, 10:02:44 PM
Quote from: STREET FIGHTER on June 20, 2015, 07:08:18 PM

Saunders not dangerous?

Did he win easy enough? Was hanging on a bit in the second half of that fight!

Looks like Paul Smith has made a bit of a joke of himself for tonight's fight with Andre Ward. Missed the 172 catch weight by over 4.5lb. Agreed with Wards team on a weight of 181 for the AM weight check and came in at 184.4. Fight goes ahead but losing 25% of his purse. Surely it's a major fcuk up for a boxer not to make weight!

Eubank left it late but thought Saunders bossed him.

nrico2006

Eubank was the better fighter for the majority of the second half of the fight.

As for Smith, it was too much to be a mistake.  I would say that he went in heavier than he should have to have a bit more weight behind his punches.

A lot of catch-weight fights recently which are making a joke out the weights, there are valid reasons for certain catch weights but there are others which are taking the hand as they are heavily suiting one fighter and putting another at a deadly disadvantage.  Porter had to drain away down for the Broner fight, thankfully he came through. 

Also surprised that not more of these AM weigh-ins are performed as it is a joke that for years you had fighters coming in at possibly a stone or more heavier than an opponent on the day of a fight in comparison to what they weighted during the official weigh-in. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

CiKe

Unbelievably there are reports of De La Hoya making a cone back. Supposedly only wants to fight the best and see May weather and GGG mentioned. Was never a DLH fan but for his sake I hope this is a joke. Scary to think what GGG would do to him

omaghjoe

He's full of it.

There's been alot of shite talked lately regarding GGG: Froch, Mayweather, Ward now DLH. At least Cotto has pretty much said he wont fight him.

As much chance as Mayeather fightin him as delaHoya.... in other words none!

Don't know whats behind it all, think that Golovkin is desperate for a fight so he is upping the slabbering. Not sure it will get him a fight tho as its doesnt change things.... lower rated fighters know they are on hiding to nothing and the big guys dont want to be taken of their perch

gerrykeegan

Another great victory for Katie. Never in doubt
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

laoislad

Quote from: gerrykeegan on June 27, 2015, 02:38:02 PM
She's brilliant.

I think there is a guy from Laois fighting for Gold today aswell?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Main Street

Quote from: gerrykeegan on June 27, 2015, 02:38:02 PM
I missed the final, I supposed that the semi final was the real final
Strange enough I thought, that only 2 of the 3 judges gave her the last round in that semi final, I thought she had that last round by a clear margin
Not strange in a dubious way because that judge was the only one who gave her the nod in round 2.

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Atticus_Finch

Ref Pat Russell had a bit of a nightmare in the Bradley vs Vargas fight there now.   Bradley had a fairly comfortable points cushion going into the last round.  vargas had Bradley out on his feet in the final seconds of the round. Ref mistook the 10 second clapper for the bell and signalled the end of the fight.  Vargas thought he had just been awarded a TKO and was celebrating like mad.  After the confusion had been cleared up they went to the cards. Bradley was awarded the fight on the cards 117 - 111, 116 - 112, 115 - 112. Max Kellerman's first post fight interview was with the ref not either of the fighters.  I say the ref will be calling it a day after that, fair play to him for facing the cameras straight afterwards.
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."