Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyHarp

Quote from: HiMucker on May 31, 2015, 10:54:58 AM
Jesus Mitchell's eye was one of the worst I have seen "grotesque" :o

Was bad alright, a bit of a shame as he'd been boxing really well for about 8 rounds or so. Linares is a decent operator though. Lee Selby looked like he is the real deal. Brook, as expected, was just a few levels above Frankie Gavin. He needs a big name next.

In other news, interesting to see Carl Frampton has signed with Al Haymon. Is he preparing to move onto the next stage of his career in the U.S.?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/boxing/article-3101401/Carl-Frampton-signs-agreement-mysterious-boxing-adviser-Al-Haymon.html
That was never a square ball!!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: BennyHarp on May 31, 2015, 12:20:10 PM
Quote from: HiMucker on May 31, 2015, 10:54:58 AM
Jesus Mitchell's eye was one of the worst I have seen "grotesque" :o

Was bad alright, a bit of a shame as he'd been boxing really well for about 8 rounds or so. Linares is a decent operator though. Lee Selby looked like he is the real deal. Brook, as expected, was just a few levels above Frankie Gavin. He needs a big name next.

In other news, interesting to see Carl Frampton has signed with Al Haymon. Is he preparing to move onto the next stage of his career in the U.S.?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/boxing/article-3101401/Carl-Frampton-signs-agreement-mysterious-boxing-adviser-Al-Haymon.html

Well he's fighting in New York in July I think...be interesting too see how that pans out
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

The Iceman

Quote from: BennyHarp on May 30, 2015, 10:34:07 PM
This has been a class night of boxing on the Matchroom PPV. Joshua is a machine.
They are taking him nice and slow. I am looking forward to seeing his continued progress through the rankings. Have high hopes for this one.
The card was very good - all on youtube for anyone who hasn't seen it yet https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H86hmDFuqiA

Some intriguing matchups ahead - some good HWs on the EU side of the Atlantic now...
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

omaghjoe

Well looks like Cotto made very short work of Geale last night, although I think Geale came into the fight way overweight and never looked at the races at all. Probably be the end of him after 2 such brutal defeats

Anyway in the tall and short of it, it should in theory equate to Cotto being a good match for Golovkin? However looks like he is gonna fight Canelo next (easier and more lucrative option so a no brainer) with the winner GGG. Hope both happen, both fights should be clinkers and with GGGs potential showdown with Froch we could have a great 2nd 6 months of 2015. Although if we got 2 of those 3 I'd be happy, tho think we will only get 1... with everyone ducking Golovkin

Gonzalo15

Quote from: The Iceman on June 02, 2015, 07:53:51 PM
This has been a class night of boxing on the Matchroom PPV. Joshua is a machine.
They are taking him nice and slow. I am looking forward to seeing his continued progress through the rankings. Have high hopes for this one.
The card was very good - all on youtube for anyone who hasn't seen it yet https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H86hmDFuqiA

Some intriguing matchups ahead - some good HWs on the EU side of the Atlantic now...

Any word on next opponent for joshua, would like to see him take on david price. Still think joshua would win but would be a good indicator of where he's at.

The Iceman

Quote from: Gonzalo15 on June 08, 2015, 07:36:49 PM

A fight with Price doesn't make a lot of sense? Price would be a step back now surely? I'd say they'll throw him in with Tyosn Fury within 2 years while it is still highly marketable. Now would be too soon. I expect him to be challenging for a title in 2 years or less if they keep moving him on as they have...?
Any word on next opponent for joshua, would like to see him take on david price. Still think joshua would win but would be a good indicator of where he's at.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

BennyHarp

Quote from: The Iceman on June 08, 2015, 07:49:50 PM

A fight with Price doesn't make a lot of sense? Price would be a step back now surely? I'd say they'll throw him in with Tyosn Fury within 2 years while it is still highly marketable. Now would be too soon. I expect him to be challenging for a title in 2 years or less if they keep moving him on as they have...?

I think Price v Joshua is still a big domestic fight in Britain. Price has quietly went about his business rebuilding his career under the Sauerlands after his heavy defeats to Tony Thompson. The strange way boxing works is that I suspect a Joshua fight v Thompson is more likely which would set up the Price fight nicely, especially if Joshua takes out Thompson easily. There's also talk of Dillian Whyte, who is unbeaten as a professional and who beat Joshua in the amateurs in 2009, knocking him down in the process.
That was never a square ball!!

CiKe

Quote from: BennyHarp on June 08, 2015, 08:13:06 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on June 08, 2015, 07:49:50 PM

I think Price is still a big domestic fight in Britain. Price has quietly went about his business rebuilding his career under the Sauerlands after his heavy defeats to Tony Thompson. The strange way boxing works is that I suspect a fight v Thompson is more likely which would set up the Price fight nicely, especially if Joshua takes out Thompson easily. There's also talk of Dillian Whyte, who is unbeaten as a professional and who beat Joshua in the amateurs in 2009, knocking him down in the process.

David Price was being talked about in similarly glowing terms to Joshua not so long ago. While Joshua certainly seems to have power we are yet to see whether he has a chin. He is still very young so don`t think will be rushed along too quickly.

omaghjoe

Frampton gonna make his US debut.

Going straight into the lions den if you ask me. A young Mexican boxer never fought before outside of Mexico with a very good record in El Paso Texas? Sounds like a perfect scenario for an ambush.

I know the states is a massive market and its where the money is in boxing but there is easier places to dip your toe in the water.

Not sure if his opponent is any good but hopefully he pulls through it with style and starts to make a name for himself

Milltown Row2

Quote from: omaghjoe on June 09, 2015, 07:33:17 AM

Going straight into the lions den if you ask me. A young Mexican boxer never fought before outside of Mexico with a very good record in El Paso Texas? Sounds like a perfect scenario for an ambush.

I know the states is a massive market and its where the money is in boxing but there is easier places to dip your toe in the water.

Not sure if his opponent is any good but hopefully he pulls through it with style and starts to make a name for himself

28 fights one defeat this lad.... Be a lot tougher than people think.... He's dropped down a weight I think...

Hopefully not a banana skin
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

muppet

This doesn't make sense.
MWWSI 2017

Smokin Joe

Quote from: muppet on June 09, 2015, 12:51:01 PM

This doesn't make sense.

I guess there should have been a comma between "record" and "in"?

muppet

Quote from: Smokin Joe on June 09, 2015, 12:53:10 PM
Quote from: muppet on June 09, 2015, 12:51:01 PM

This doesn't make sense.

I guess there should have been a comma between "record" and "in"?

Ah!
MWWSI 2017

muppet

MWWSI 2017

omaghjoe

Well it sounds like Lee v Saunders is gonna be made with Thomond Park the venue in September. Tough one for Lee but he should have enough, probably the most profitable fight for him out there at the moment.