Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyHarp

Scott Quigg's next opponent announced today apparently. The talk is Kiko Martinez, that'll be a good barometer to see how good he is.
That was never a square ball!!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: BennyHarp on May 12, 2015, 06:48:44 AM
Scott Quigg's next opponent announced today apparently. The talk is Kiko Martinez, that'll be a good barometer to see how good he is.

That be a good fight. Will give everyone an idea how good Quigg is or isn't.... Full respect for Kiko, was no mug and in his first fight with Karl he ws boxing very very well until the stoppage... Dates?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Syferus

Quigg should be winning well if he has any chance against Frampton.

Muzz

Confirmed as Martinez in July.  Queue the talk of must win for Quigg but also if Martinez is past it.

oakleaflad

I wonder what the odds will be? I'd fancy a few quid on Martinez at a half decent price.

Muzz

Quote from: oakleaflad on May 12, 2015, 03:51:52 PM
I wonder what the odds will be? I'd fancy a few quid on Martinez at a half decent price.

Looked at it earlier - http://www.paddypower.com/bet/boxing/boxing-matches

Quigg 2/9 Martinez 3/1

Milltown Row2

That's a great price, hard to judge, big pressure on quigg to perform at home, Karl wasn't comfortable in the first fight with Kiko and I seen his face the day after he beat him for the title, was very swollen and very sore looking, Kiko no mug, but by all accounts that's the right price for Qiugg.

My tenner will go on Kiko though
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

BennyHarp

Quote from: Muzz on May 12, 2015, 03:58:57 PM

Quigg 2/9 Martinez 3/1

3/1 is very tempting indeed. I like Quigg but he hasn't really been tested at the level of Martinez yet. This is a big fight in Quiggs career, could make or break him. 

BennyHarp

Quote from: BennyHarp on May 12, 2015, 06:30:13 PM
Quote from: Muzz on May 12, 2015, 03:58:57 PM

Quigg 2/9 Martinez 3/1

3/1 is very tempting indeed. I like Quigg but he hasn't really been tested at the level of Martinez yet. This is a big fight in Quiggs career, could make or break him. 

In other news in this division, Kid Galahad has been banned for 2 years after testing positive for the same drug taken by Ben Johnson. I've seen this guy fight live on a Kell Brook undercard a few years ago and have been keeping an eye on his progress as he looked promising that night. His excuse seems a bit pathetic!

From mirror.co.uk

Unbeaten prospect Kid Galahad has been banned for two years for failing a drugs test.

Galahad, who has won the British and Commonwealth super-bantamweight titles, tested positive for the banned substance stanozolol, which was used by Ben Johnson in the 1980s.

A distraught Galahad has protested his innocence and claims one of his protein shakes was spiked with the steroid by his brother Mageed because of a row between the pair.

Mageed confessed to UK Anti-Doping when Galahad's case was heard, but officials have still hit him with a two-year ban from the date of his failed test back in September.

Galahad fears the suspension could destroy his promising career and says he hopes to appeal.

ActionKid GalahadPromising: The 24-year-old has won all 18 of his professional bouts
"What can I say, other than I am totally gutted?" he said. "This will stall my career dramatically.

"I'm absolutely devastated especially as I have not done anything wrong and have never taken a steroid in my life.

"The one thing about it which makes it even worse is that it involves a member of my family, my brother. He did it following a disagreement we had.

"I have got various options ahead of me and one of them is to appeal against the ban.

"Hopefully I will win that appeal and I can fight again very soon. Anyone who knows me will tell you I eat, sleep and breathe boxing. I've dedicated my life to it, so it would make no sense for me to jeopardise that by taking a drug which could get me banned."

BennyHarp

CiKe

Quote from: omaghjoe on May 12, 2015, 06:16:05 AM
Fair play to Kirkland for coming out to fight a puncher like Canelo like that, made for great viewing, brutal knock down.

I believe Canelo is the only fighter around who could put up a decent fight against Golovkin. Would love to see that fight come off. Canelo would be game for it but would his team let him near him? The other obstacle is Cotto who now wants GGG to give the blessing for the Canelo Cotto fight presumably with the guarentee that Golovkin would fight the winner?

Not sure Canelo has what it takes for GGG. Kirkland was made for him and was knocked out in 1rd by someone not recognised as  a puncher a few years previously.

If Andre Ward ever gets busy again I can see him putting up a good fight and maybe winning. He hasn't fought recently for years though so not sure will happen.

omaghjoe

Quote from: CiKe on May 13, 2015, 03:47:40 AM
Quote from: omaghjoe on May 12, 2015, 06:16:05 AM
Fair play to Kirkland for coming out to fight a puncher like Canelo like that, made for great viewing, brutal knock down.

I believe Canelo is the only fighter around who could put up a decent fight against Golovkin. Would love to see that fight come off. Canelo would be game for it but would his team let him near him? The other obstacle is Cotto who now wants GGG to give the blessing for the Canelo Cotto fight presumably with the guarentee that Golovkin would fight the winner?

Not sure Canelo has what it takes for GGG. Kirkland was made for him and was knocked out in 1rd by someone not recognised as  a puncher a few years previously.

If Andre Ward ever gets busy again I can see him putting up a good fight and maybe winning. He hasn't fought recently for years though so not sure will happen.

Yeah your right I don't think he would have a hope either but he at least has the power to keep GGG off, although I actually think that Golovkin has a very good defence he just decides it easier to walk through punches when he tastes what they have. But Canelo would at least make him use that defence.

Ward's such a waster, although he potentially has the best chance of beating Golovkin he has the size and hence power and the boxing skills but I actually think Golovkin is a small middleweight so I don't think he actually will move up. Would not be as tasty of fight as Canelo tho.

I pity this Munroe guy at the weekend tho having to step into the ring with him, he said at the press conference that he seen a hint of fear in Golovkin's eyes... I had a laugh at that. Refs needa be on the ball when GGG gets in the ring cos he could seriously hurt somebody.

Syferus

Quote from: BennyHarp on May 12, 2015, 11:18:08 PM
Quote from: Harold Disgracey on May 12, 2015, 11:00:10 PM
Newfound respect for James DeGale.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/boxing/441526/EXCLUSIVE-James-DeGale-IBF-title-Andre-Dirrell-Darren-Sutherland

Just reading that myself. Fair play to him!

Honestly thought he was a bit of a tit before this. I thought there was agro between him and Sutherland but clearly there was plenty of respect.

Sutherland had DeGale's number before the Olympic silver medal fight - you got the feeling Sutherland sort of checked out after he won the bronze. It's hard to think of DeGale without thinking of Sutherland and what may have been. One of the saddest episodes in Irish sport. RIP and good luck to DeGale.

HiMucker

What time is walk in for GGG fight tonight?