Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoG2

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 07, 2015, 06:06:38 PM
Ha, did a WWE fighter not come into the MMA and beat all round him to prove he could do it? MMA would be exciting of they couldn't go to ground had had to exchange blows and move for an upright position. All this crap that MMA is like real fighting? is it?, last real fight i seen there bottles flying everywhere, they be bringing in weapons to MMA next lol.

Jensens?

The Iceman

Quote from: Atticus_Finch on May 07, 2015, 06:56:36 PM
Ha, thought that might get a bite from you iceman old pal.

Gallsman is 100% correct.

Michael Phelps would beat Mayweather at a swimming contest.

And I would put every last penny I had on big Ruairi Convery from the Swa beating Floyd at a Poc Fada as well.

Long distance callers ... make long distance calls.

I was on the wind up a tad but obviously boxing comes 1st for me. Yeah it has its problems between dodgy decisions, the best match ups not happening and too many alphabet soup belts due to greedy sanctioning bodies but I still can't help but love it. 

I'm sure you would admit that UFC has one or two flaws as well. Would be interested to get your opinion on the use of PEDs in UFC and the amount of quality testing ? From what I gather the former is widespread while the latter has only really started happening recently.
I still love boxing - I flew 6000 miles to see Carl Frampton win the title in Belfast. I don't know if I would do that for MMA - though McGregor in Croke Park might tempt me. Yes PEDs are a problem in MMA, no doubt. Hopefully the recent changes and people hired to oversee the new 3P testing will clean it up - but there will always be those who cheat unfortunately in any sport.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Syferus

PEDs are a problem in all sports. For me the slowness and male humping that happens in MMA when they get on the ground is a turn off. It's just not exciting no matter how tactical it is. It's like an extreme version of clinching in boxing. Stand-up MMA fights can be very exciting though.

Lesnar was an NCAA champion amateur wrestler - his athleticism is/was incredible.

Atticus_Finch

Didn't realise the date when I was posting yesterday.

7th May, ten years ago  ... Corrales vs Castillo I  Round 10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0vSpewcMx4

Two years to the day on from that fight Corrales died in a motorbike accident.
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

The Iceman

Quote from: Atticus_Finch on May 08, 2015, 01:26:07 PM

Do you think Nostalgia plays tricks on us? Are we still in love with boxing because of what it was or what it is today? I often wonder where all the great fights/fighters have gone. Am I remembering my childhood and teens through tinted lenses? Or has boxing these days got little to be excited about?
I can watch these old fights over and over again Atticus. I have all of Tyson's fights on a bootleg dvd box set and have had many a night with the lads re-watching them with a case of beer.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Syferus

Quote from: The Iceman on May 08, 2015, 09:53:57 PM
Quote from: Atticus_Finch on May 08, 2015, 01:26:07 PM

Do you think Nostalgia plays tricks on us? Are we still in love with boxing because of what it was or what it is today? I often wonder where all the great fights/fighters have gone. Am I remembering my childhood and teens through tinted lenses? Or has boxing these days got little to be excited about?
I can watch these old fights over and over again Atticus. I have all of Tyson's fights on a bootleg dvd box set and have had many a night with the lads re-watching them with a case of beer.

Plenty of great fights and great fighters. Just very few great showmen.

Atticus_Finch

Good fights happen all the time iceman take matthyssee vs Provodnikov that took place a couple of weeks back.  Those are the types of fights that don't get the publicity they deserve. You're lucky to be in the timezone that you are, fights like Alvarez vs Kirkland taking place this weekend are more accessible to you.  Even if my sky box wasn't on the blink (if anyone knows a good dream box man can you PM me please) I would probably give staying up for Alvarez vs Kirkland a miss as the bodyclock is only starting to get back in working order after Vegas.

I would agree that Nostalgia plays tricks on us though, largely due to us forming opinions on the most vivid memory we have that we associate with the most publicised / memorable event. Let's take the example of Corrales. You ask your average fan what is their opinion of Corrales today and I would say 90% of them would say he was a warrior based on that 10th round with Castillo. Very few of them will say he was a coward for being a woman beater (he spent two years in jail for abusing his pregnant wife).  At same time you ask your average fan about Floyd and a lot more of them will have a negative opinion of him as a person as his history of women beating is a lot more current.  While I would never try argue mayweather is a good person he is capable of good deeds.  He paid for Genaro Hernadez's funeral (Mayweather won his first world title by stopping Hernandez) amid little fanfare but that wasn't heavily publicised.  Pacquiao isn't a complete saint but he has a nice guy image as that is what is portrayed through the lens of the worldwide media.

Anyway, I've gone way off tangent there. In conclusion good fights do still happen we just don't get to see them or hear about them as much as we need to.

"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

JimStynes

How can people not appreciate this man's boxing skills! Genius.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQYeSXpC244

gallsman

Cracking fight last night. Kirkland came to trade and Canelo handled it well and unleashed an absolute barrage for three rounds. Have never seen him as heavy handed as that. One of the most spectacular KOs you'll see for a while. Hope Kirkland is OK.

ziggy90

I went to see the Matchroom show at Birmingham's NIA last night and left there very disappointed. Most of the fights were total miss-matches. I don't think I'll be going to any more of Mr Hearn's promotions any time soon.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

bridgegael

Two good fights last night, alvarez was spectacular-knockout of the year- kirkland came for a brael and got it. Good to see alvarez not celebrating when kirkland was on the canvas.  Love to see alvarez and ggg.
Other good fight was buglioni and markham, ended in a draw which was prob the fairest result. A real slugfest for 10rounds. Will be good to see the rematch.
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

bridgegael

Anthony joshua Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

ziggy90

I'd say you wouldn't be fit to put any Zzzzzz's through the roof if you were hit a shot like that Brazilian got last night??
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

JimStynes

Alvarez was devastating last night. Kirkland suited him though! Alvarez will be the next ppv star and is amazingly only in his early 20s.

omaghjoe

Fair play to Kirkland for coming out to fight a puncher like Canelo like that, made for great viewing, brutal knock down.

I believe Canelo is the only fighter around who could put up a decent fight against Golovkin. Would love to see that fight come off. Canelo would be game for it but would his team let him near him? The other obstacle is Cotto who now wants GGG to give the blessing for the Canelo Cotto fight presumably with the guarentee that Golovkin would fight the winner?