Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medic

I give props to Floyd Junior being a master defensive boxer but if he is (TBE) the best ever then everyone in Boxing should pick up his strategy and stop fighting.

LOL MMA is where it's at... more compelling and more about real fighting!! :P
All Things Dr. Karl Raymond Marx Kennedy  - https://allthingsdockarlkennedy-blog.tumblr.com/

Syferus

Quote from: Medic on May 07, 2015, 10:33:06 AM
I give props to Floyd Junior being a master defensive boxer but if he is (TBE) the best ever then everyone in Boxing should pick up his strategy and stop fighting.

LOL MMA is where it's at... more compelling and more about real fighting!! :P

MMA is still a distant second to boxing for me.

gallsman

Quote from: Medic on May 07, 2015, 10:33:06 AM

LOL MMA is where it's at... (a) more compelling and (b) more about real fighting!! :P

(a) that's debatable - lots of MMA, especially when it goes to the mat is incredibly boring from a spectator's point of view

(b) that's the difference - boxing isn't fighting, it is sport. Regardless of the propaganda spouted by MMA fans the world over about it being the fastest growing sport on the planet or having the best PPV numbers, this is largely bluster. Top quality fights between the best fighters are few and far between, just like in boxing, as Dana and the Fertitta brothers are happy to push crap each and every week and watch the $$$ roll in.

Medic

Yep, MMA fighters fight, not foot around and box. You really can't run in MMA.

Pride was awesome back in the day... https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=312&v=bLHe1vuaYBM

I just think a boring MMA match is still better than a boring boxing match

Joe Rogan UFC Vs Boxing https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=64&v=TtKx41UdCj0
All Things Dr. Karl Raymond Marx Kennedy  - https://allthingsdockarlkennedy-blog.tumblr.com/

Atticus_Finch

While I admire Conor McGregor for his marketing skills, my admiration of anthing UFC pretty much stops there. 

The fact is that UFC is WWF (or WWE is it called now ?)  for adults and should not be mentioned in the same sentence as the sweet science !

Pipe down and head over to the UFC thread, if there isn't one already you should join up with the WWF thread.  Good man
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

blewuporstuffed

Some interesting points made about Mayweather and his checkered past on Second Captains last night.
He may be a fantastic boxer, but he also seems to be a bit of a sc**bag.
It makes his 'Money' persona even harder to stomach.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

stew

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on May 07, 2015, 02:27:05 PM
Some interesting points made about Mayweather and his checkered past on Second Captains last night.
He may be a fantastic boxer, but he also seems to be a bit of a sc**bag.
It makes his 'Money' persona even harder to stomach.

He has been convicted of beating the shite out of a woman in a nighclub, his also bate seven shades of shite outta his now wife but she recanted her statement.

He spoke about the media not knowing him or his integrity, he has no integrity, he is just a low grade, wife beating piece of shite and he even picks who gets to cover fights and who does not, he even got to cherry pick  an exclusive interview with Stephen A Smith, a loud mouthed, opinionated 'journalist' who, after the Ray Rice incident got a weeks suspension for stating to the effect that wives and girlfriends of top athletes need to stop getting their men so jacked up that they resort to hitting them, he should have been fired but got to issue an apology and sat for a week!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

The Iceman

Quote from: Atticus_Finch on May 07, 2015, 02:19:57 PM
While I admire Conor McGregor for his marketing skills, my admiration of anthing UFC pretty much stops there. 

The fact is that UFC is WWF (or WWE is it called now ?)  for adults and should not be mentioned in the same sentence as the sweet science !

Pipe down and head over to the UFC thread, if there isn't one already you should join up with the WWF thread.  Good man

A top level boxer would eat a WWE wrestler every day of the week.
A top level boxer wouldn't last 3 minutes with an MMA fighter. There are some facts for you atticus

With only one belt in each weight class the top fighters fight all the time and even when they don't the matchups produce regular wars rarely seen in boxing since the turn of the century. Boxing was my first love - but it has died a death for me - nothing to get excited about anymore.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

gallsman

Quote from: The Iceman on May 07, 2015, 05:42:08 PM

A top level boxer wouldn't last 3 minutes with an MMA fighter. There are some facts for you atticus

With only one belt in each weight class the top fighters fight all the time and even when they don't the matchups produce regular wars rarely seen in boxing since the turn of the century. Boxing was my first love - but it has died a death for me - nothing to get excited about anymore.

At what? Boxing? I'd say he'd annhilate him. In an MMA fight? Then yes, the MMA fighter would win. What a daft statement.

One belt in each weight class...in each promotion. UFC may have all the top talent, but it is a shambles of an organisation in terms of professionalism.

Wildweasel74

Ha, did a WWE fighter not come into the MMA and beat all round him to prove he could do it? MMA would be exciting of they couldn't go to ground had had to exchange blows and move for an upright position. All this crap that MMA is like real fighting? is it?, last real fight i seen there bottles flying everywhere, they be bringing in weapons to MMA next lol.

gallsman

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 07, 2015, 06:06:38 PM
Ha, did a WWE fighter not come into the MMA and beat all round him to prove he could do it? MMA would be exciting of they couldn't go to ground had had to exchange blows and move for an upright position. All this crap that MMA is like real fighting? is it?, last real fight i seen there bottles flying everywhere, they be bringing in weapons to MMA next lol.

In fairness:

a) Lesnar is an athletically gifted freak.

b) He won his UFC title from a guy about half his size and twice his age. (Yes, I'm exaggerating)

c) He got absolutely annihilated on several occasions, although he was severely debilitated for much of his career.

The Iceman

Quote from: gallsman on May 07, 2015, 05:45:31 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on May 07, 2015, 05:42:08 PM

At what? Boxing? I'd say he'd annhilate him. In an MMA fight? Then yes, the MMA fighter would win. What a daft statement.

One belt in each weight class...in each promotion. UFC may have all the top talent, but it is a shambles of an organisation in terms of professionalism.
You can't negate MMA because you don't understand the technicalities of it and then call boxing the sweet science
I haven't trained properly in 8 years and I'd eat anyone of you alive on the ground
ground fighting is like a game of chess - its a joy to watch if you know what you're looking at.

UFC is a young promotion - only started at the end of the 90s remember.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

gallsman

You are comparing apples and pears ffs.

The Iceman

only responding to atticu's comments gallsman
in light of that you should be telling him the same then

Atticus_Finch

Ha, thought that might get a bite from you iceman old pal.

Gallsman is 100% correct.

Michael Phelps would beat Mayweather at a swimming contest.

And I would put every last penny I had on big Ruairi Convery from the Swa beating Floyd at a Poc Fada as well.

Long distance callers ... make long distance calls.

I was on the wind up a tad but obviously boxing comes 1st for me. Yeah it has its problems between dodgy decisions, the best match ups not happening and too many alphabet soup belts due to greedy sanctioning bodies but I still can't help but love it. 

I'm sure you would admit that UFC has one or two flaws as well. Would be interested to get your opinion on the use of PEDs in UFC and the amount of quality testing ? From what I gather the former is widespread while the latter has only really started happening recently.
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."