Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Quote from: nrico2006 on May 01, 2015, 11:53:29 AM
I suppose I was just wondering how prestigious the Ring and the IBO titles are?

The Ring - a lot. Check out their explanation of ratings, champion recognition etc. Gives things a lot of credence and it's the "Bible of boxing" after all.

IBO - not at all.

JoG2

ring (minor title) or IBO titles dont make up the 8 major world titles though (wiki)

JoG2

Paquiao has won major world titles from flyweight (112lbs) right up to light-middleweight (154lbs)...unbelievable achievement

oakleaflad

Quote from: JoG2 on May 01, 2015, 12:16:17 PM

ring (minor title) or IBO titles dont make up the 8 major world titles though (wiki)
There's only 4 major World titles.
The Ring is not one of these but is significant as it is awarded to the consensus best boxer in the division.

JoG2

Quote from: oakleaflad on May 01, 2015, 12:20:20 PM

The Ring is not one of these but is significant as it is awarded to the consensus best boxer in the division.

yes, but the 8 is a total (at different weights)

oakleaflad

Quote from: JoG2 on May 01, 2015, 12:23:19 PM

Ah, you are referring to the 8 times Pacquiao has won a World title they have been one of the 4 major belts, not minor titles, is that right?

JoG2

Quote from: oakleaflad on May 01, 2015, 12:31:55 PM

Ah, you are referring to the 8 times Pacquiao has won a World title they have been one of the 4 major belts, not minor titles, is that right?

That's the one Oakleaf. Be nice to see him win another :-)

oakleaflad

Quote from: JoG2 on May 01, 2015, 01:47:47 PM
Quote from: oakleaflad on May 01, 2015, 12:31:55 PM

That's the one Oakleaf. Be nice to see him win another :-)
It would indeed

rosnarun

none of the organizations are really reputable , which is why the Ring stepped in 
usinfg the following Criteria (when most of the organizations pretend to follow)

• Defeat the reigning champion
    Win a bout between The Ring's No. 1 and 2 contenders
    If the number 1 and 2 contenders chose not to fight each other, if either of them fights the No. 3, 4 or 5 contender, the winner may be awarded The Ring title belt if the Editorial Board deems the contenders worthy
when one of the piss off the star in a weight  division  he then fight for a different title and then that is the most prestigous belt in that division,
the best boxers are spread out over several different 'Belt companies and all have the best boxer in one divison of other
For instance
you really have to make a weight by weight call as to which is the most Reputable
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

screenexile

Does anyone want Mayweather to win this fight at all?

I don't either Pacquiao seems a more likeable and humble character whereas Mayweather is an ill mannered yet talented mouthpiece. Can't wait to see the fight though. It would be great to get a read on what time they'll be out at but I doubt I'll have to get up at 4 just to be sure I see it.

nrico2006

I want to see the half hour leading up to it, not sure whether to stay up or just get up for it.  Have to be up at 7 on Sunday as it is, but not good at getting up and thinking it would be safer to just stay up.  Hard to know what time a fight is at too though, I remember thinking that Mayweather Alvarez was to be at 4ish and before I know it I was still on the sofa at half 6.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

JimStynes

Quote from: screenexile on May 01, 2015, 02:38:32 PM
Does anyone want Mayweather to win this fight at all?

I don't either Pacquiao seems a more likeable and humble character whereas Mayweather is an ill mannered yet talented mouthpiece. Can't wait to see the fight though. It would be great to get a read on what time they'll be out at but I doubt I'll have to get up at 4 just to be sure I see it.

Me! Pacquiao annoys me with his nice guy act when he is anything but! Any number of scandals about him until he was 'saved'! Mayweather is a p***k but at least he doesn't pretend he is anything else. Both fantastic boxers and I just hope it lives up to the hype. Mayweather hasn't been trash talking as much this fight, maybe he is more worried or just more focused.

I'm the same nrico, I might just set the alarm and get up around 4.30 or whenever it is on and then just stay up. I have to be leaving the house for 7am to go and cycle 120mile! It's going to be a long day!

stew

Apparently Manny is faster and throwing harder punches than he ever has....................................Yawn, Mayweather to knock him out , I hope Pac man can do it but he is tiny compared to the woman beater!

Floyd Mayweather Jr conveniently forgets his criminal past when he accuses others of illegal activities. But Floyd doesn't have to look any further than his own family and his own past to see someone doing illegal activities. When Floyd accused Pacquiao of taking illegal substances, it got me thinking about how his past is littered with criminal actions.

In 2002, Floyd Mayweather Jr pleaded guilty to 2 charges of misdemeanor domestic violence.

In 2004, Mayweather received a 1 year suspended jail sentence, was ordered to seek counseling for "impulse control", and fined a $1000 after being convicted for misdemeanor battery of 2 women in a Las Vegas nightclub.

In 2004, a warrant for his arrest was issued in Grand Rapids, Michigan for failure to appear at a trial. He was accused of kicking a bouncer in the head at a bar. Mayweather pleaded no contest to misdemeanor assault and battery. He was fined and ordered to perform community service.

In 2005, Floyd was found innocent in a trial for assaulting his girlfriend outside a Las Vegas club in 2003. The girlfriend, also the mother of his children, changed her story on the stand.

In 2009, Police executed a search warrant on Floyd's house because witnesses identified Mayweather's car leaving the scene of a shooting at a Las Vegas skating rink. Witnesses also identified one of Mayweather's associates as the shooter.

In my opinion, Mayweather Jr has no ground to stand on when it comes to questioning another man's integrity. Mayweather has had several incidents of beating women, anger control problems, and other violent actions. This is the actions of man with no integrity.

Where does Mayweather get off thinking that he can accuse others of illegal activities when he should have been thrown into a prison like his father? Any man who beats a woman is nothing but a coward. From now on, reporters should just carry around Mayweather's rap sheet whenever he goes off accusing Pacquiao of taking PEDs or complaining that other people are wronging him.

It's clear to me that Mayweather's criminal record far outweighs his questionable boxing record.

Source: BoxingScene
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

gallsman

Mayweather 146 Pac 145

tyroneboi

What's the chances of getting it on one of those illegal streams?