Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyHarp

Mayweather has had 47 fights, a lot of which have been against some of the best boxers of his era, so of course he will have some troubling moments in these fights. There isn't a boxer alive who hasn't been in trouble at some point. It's the sign of a true great that he always finds a way to win and I think he will do so again against Pacquiao. Having said that, I'd love to see Pacquiao do it, though I suspect after a few good early rounds Mayweather will catch up with him and win relatively comfortably.
That was never a square ball!!

DennistheMenace

I see Pacman winning first 3-5 rounds, throwing a lot of combinations and much more punches than Mayweather who will be counter punching and feeling Pacquiao's power out. Then expect Mayweather to dominate the latter rounds and win a unaminous decision on points, and still...

macdanger2

Quote from: Atticus_Finch on April 29, 2015, 09:47:16 AM
sitting in the airport here about to set sail for Vegas. Always said if the fight was made I would make the trip out no matter what but i wasn't far off giving it a miss at one stage. Getting to the actual fight was always going to be a pipe dream with 1,000 tickets going on public sale. But when I thought at one stage I wouldn't get to see the fight at all out there i came close to not going.

The MGM have barred any other hotel from broadcasting the fight, there are 7 MGM hotels in Vegas (MGM & Mandalay amongst others) so between them they had 50,000 closed circuit (effectively glorified cinema) tickets on sale. Only MGM guests could get tickets to the MGM closed circuit and they could only be purchased through a phone call to their box office. So after being on hold for over two hours after the closed circuit tickets went on sale I had a bit of luck (well I don't know if you can count a call that cost £150 as lucky) and got through and got tickets. These cinema tickets with free booze and grub set me back £220 a turn. I thankfully have weigh in tickets sorted as well.

While I will be living on beans and toast when I return to sunny Belfast for at least 6 months, I can't wait to be out there.

While I would love to see Pacquiao win it, I think the only outcome can be a fairly comfortable decision for Mayweather who will go on and win his 49th fight to complete his showtime contract and then fake a retirement. The money he would earn for a 50th fight that would give him the potential to eclipse Marciano's 49-0 record would be too good to say no to.

Anyone making their way to Eamon O'Kanes fight in Lavey this weekend ? I hope it goes well.

On a sadder note, condolences to the McCullaghs a well known boxing family in Derry City today as they lay to rest Dean, brother of Tyrone (who after a very successful amateur career has recently turned pro). Dean was a big gentleman who loved his boxing and will be sadly missed by anyone who ever came into contact with him.

That sounds like it'll be a serious weekend atticus

Medic

All Things Dr. Karl Raymond Marx Kennedy  - https://allthingsdockarlkennedy-blog.tumblr.com/

Wildweasel74

I think this fight will not live up to the hype at all! Mayweather ducked many a good fighter for years until he reckoned they were over the hill, same here, too many wars has all but halted Pacquiao. even though 2 years older Mayweather hasn't been in the wars and has weared better with age. Had this fight been 5 yrs ago it been a classic but Mayweather wouldn't take a fight unless he was sure he could protect his record.

Its easy to look at Rocky Marciano record but who he fight, a 37yr old Louis, E Charles a light heavy weight and Walcott who was an old man, records should be based on who you fight. Compare mayweather to Sugar Ray Robinson who lost once in 141 fights, who went on to win the middle title 5 times when he was over the hill. Mayweather compared himself to this man earlier in the week, he couldn't tie Walker Smith Jr boots.

How would either shape against Hagler,a true middleweight, Leonard, Hearns or Duran (greatest ever lightweight), i seriously doubt he beat any of these men. The last great middleweight was Roy Jones Jr, could anybody see Mayweather move up a weight and try to fight him.  The reality is Pacquiao is a feather weight who moved up the levels and is fighting at stone and a half his proper fighting weight, would he have gone undefeated if he stayed at featherweight?

Mayweather wouldn't jump up to middleweight to meet a real challenge, at least Pacquiao took a  chance and jumped the weights,neither man would beat any of the fighers i mentioned above

gallsman

What is the point of comparing them to Hagler, who as you point out was a fully fledged middleweight? Or joined who spent majority of his career at light heavy? Neither of them have fought at middleweight in their life. That's why the lb for lb concept exists. Why not just ask got they'd have fared against Ali?

Who has Mayweather ducked (with the possible exception of Manny) until they were over the hill?

Wildweasel74

Hearns, Leonard and Duran all fought at welterweight, which is the weight below light middle, all would beat either man here. The jump from light middle to middle is not that great.

gallsman

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on April 30, 2015, 09:14:53 PM
Hearns, Leonard and Duran all fought at welterweight, which is the weight below light middle, all would beat either man here. The jump from light middle to middle is not that great.

Sugar Ray and Hearns began their careers at welter and grew into bigger weights. Duran began at lightweight and his middleweight win was a fantastic achievement. Hagler was a career middleweight.

In contrast, Pacquiao began at flyweight and at the end of his career isn't really a welter and Mayweather began at super feather. Mayweather is champ at light middle but he's clearly a welter, again at the end of his career. The jump for them to middleweight would be absolutely enormous (and completely irrelevant) and to hold that against them is utterly ludicrous.

omaghjoe

Quote from: gallsman on April 30, 2015, 07:16:53 PM
What is the point of comparing them to Hagler, who as you point out was a fully fledged middleweight? Or joined who spent majority of his career at light heavy? Neither of them have fought at middleweight in their life. That's why the lb for lb concept exists. Why not just ask got they'd have fared against Ali?

Who has Mayweather ducked (with the possible exception of Manny) until they were over the hill?

The most obvious one would that he ducked completely would be Koysta Tyzu.

gallsman

Quote from: omaghjoe on May 01, 2015, 04:12:50 AM

I disagree. There was a very small window for a Tsyzu fight that Hatton shut closed. Don't think you can blame Mayweather here.

omaghjoe

Quote from: gallsman on May 01, 2015, 04:25:08 AM
Quote from: omaghjoe on May 01, 2015, 04:12:50 AM

I disagree. There was a very small window for a Tsyzu fight that Hatton shut closed. Don't think you can blame Mayweather here.

Well we are all painfully aware of the length of windows that he needs to "make fights"

NAG1

nrico2006

Is Pacquaio an 8 division champion or 6 division champion?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

JoG2

Quote from: nrico2006 on May 01, 2015, 11:44:19 AM
Is Pacquaio an 8 division champion or 6 division champion?

8 time world champion at 6 divisions (i think)

nrico2006

I suppose I was just wondering how prestigious the Ring and the IBO titles are?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'