Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

Quote from: ludermor on April 28, 2015, 01:57:11 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on April 28, 2015, 01:44:16 PM
Quote from: Johnnybegood on April 28, 2015, 11:44:54 AM
Put all your money clothes and even your Mott on mayweather
Bigger stronger and a much better defensive and counter puncher than Marquez who gave PAC man a torrid time

eh? Marquez won 1 out of their 4 bouts, the 1 he did he was behind in the scorecards up until the knock out. You may be right, but I'd hold onto your cash if that's your basis to put the kitchen sink on Mayweather
And there was no question marks over the bouts that Pac won?

Also, apart from the De La Hoya decision, there were also major disputes over Mayweathers first win over Castillo.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

JoG2

Quote from: ludermor on April 28, 2015, 01:57:11 PM
Bigger stronger and a much better defensive and counter puncher than Marquez who gave PAC man a torrid time

eh? Marquez won 1 out of their 4 bouts, the 1 he did he was behind in the scorecards up until the knock out. You may be right, but I'd hold onto your cash if that's your basis to put the kitchen sink on Mayweather
And there was no question marks over the bouts that Pac won?

it's boxing, there's question marks over many fights. My point is, if someone is asking us to put the house on Mayweather, he'd wanna have more evidence than Paquiao's 4th fight with Marquez. Wonder how much Johnnybegood has on the fight?

DennistheMenace

Bit rubbish there isn't a HBO 24/7 as the contract was signed too close to the fight date

gallsman

The De La Hoya fight is remembered shockingly because of the split decision. If you watch it back again, you'd give it to Floyd 99 times out of 100. This was backed up by the statistics.

Same for Maidana. He fairly comfortably won the first fight and somehow it wasn't unanimous and then won even more comprehensively in the second one.

DennistheMenace

Yeah I agree, he definitely won the De La Hoya fight in my books. He is rightly favourite for this fight and I can only really remember Mayweather in trouble once in his whole career when i thought he was in trouble, against Mosley

Johnnybegood

he gave PAC a torrid time with his countering style is the point
Mayweather is naturally much bigger and stronger
PAC has lost twice badly in the last few years
Had it been five years ago I'd have called it closer but due to mayweathers lack of being put through the mill in comparison to PAC he is a younger man at 38 than PAC at 37 in boxing terms

nrico2006

Quote from: Johnnybegood on April 28, 2015, 03:27:12 PM

Had it been five years ago I'd have called it closer but due to mayweathers lack of being put through the mill in comparison to PAC he is a younger man at 38 than PAC at 37 in boxing terms

He has only really lost once in the past few years, the Bradley fight was a shocking decision.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Johnnybegood

Quote from: nrico2006 on April 28, 2015, 04:16:32 PM
Quote from: Johnnybegood on April 28, 2015, 03:27:12 PM

He has only really lost once in the past few years, the Bradley fight was a shocking decision.
true enough but it could be argued that he lost 3 out of the 4 against Marquez.

omaghjoe

Quote from: gallsman on April 28, 2015, 02:21:45 PM
The De La Hoya fight is remembered shockingly because of the split decision. If you watch it back again, you'd give it to Floyd 99 times out of 100. This was backed up by the statistics.

Same for Maidana. He fairly comfortably won the first fight and somehow it wasn't unanimous and then won even more comprehensively in the second one.

Agree about De La Hoya fight he won it easily but the first Maidana fight he lost IMO. Second fight tho he won fair enough

Atticus_Finch

sitting in the airport here about to set sail for Vegas. Always said if the fight was made I would make the trip out no matter what but i wasn't far off giving it a miss at one stage. Getting to the actual fight was always going to be a pipe dream with 1,000 tickets going on public sale. But when I thought at one stage I wouldn't get to see the fight at all out there i came close to not going.

The MGM have barred any other hotel from broadcasting the fight, there are 7 MGM hotels in Vegas (MGM & Mandalay amongst others) so between them they had 50,000 closed circuit (effectively glorified cinema) tickets on sale. Only MGM guests could get tickets to the MGM closed circuit and they could only be purchased through a phone call to their box office. So after being on hold for over two hours after the closed circuit tickets went on sale I had a bit of luck (well I don't know if you can count a call that cost £150 as lucky) and got through and got tickets. These cinema tickets with free booze and grub set me back £220 a turn. I thankfully have weigh in tickets sorted as well.

While I will be living on beans and toast when I return to sunny Belfast for at least 6 months, I can't wait to be out there.

While I would love to see Pacquiao win it, I think the only outcome can be a fairly comfortable decision for Mayweather who will go on and win his 49th fight to complete his showtime contract and then fake a retirement. The money he would earn for a 50th fight that would give him the potential to eclipse Marciano's 49-0 record would be too good to say no to.

Anyone making their way to Eamon O'Kanes fight in Lavey this weekend ? I hope it goes well.

On a sadder note, condolences to the McCullaghs a well known boxing family in Derry City today as they lay to rest Dean, brother of Tyrone (who after a very successful amateur career has recently turned pro). Dean was a big gentleman who loved his boxing and will be sadly missed by anyone who ever came into contact with him.
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

Johnnybegood

Quote from: Atticus_Finch on April 29, 2015, 09:47:16 AM
sitting in the airport here about to set sail for Vegas. Always said if the fight was made I would make the trip out no matter what but i wasn't far off giving it a miss at one stage. Getting to the actual fight was always going to be a pipe dream with 1,000 tickets going on public sale. But when I thought at one stage I wouldn't get to see the fight at all out there i came close to not going.

The MGM have barred any other hotel from broadcasting the fight, there are 7 MGM hotels in Vegas (MGM & Mandalay amongst others) so between them they had 50,000 closed circuit (effectively glorified cinema) tickets on sale. Only MGM guests could get tickets to the MGM closed circuit and they could only be purchased through a phone call to their box office. So after being on hold for over two hours after the closed circuit tickets went on sale I had a bit of luck (well I don't know if you can count a call that cost £150 as lucky) and got through and got tickets. These cinema tickets with free booze and grub set me back £220 a turn. I thankfully have weigh in tickets sorted as well.

While I will be living on beans and toast when I return to sunny Belfast for at least 6 months, I can't wait to be out there.

While I would love to see Pacquiao win it, I think the only outcome can be a fairly comfortable decision for Mayweather who will go on and win his 49th fight to complete his showtime contract and then fake a retirement. The money he would earn for a 50th fight that would give him the potential to eclipse Marciano's 49-0 record would be too good to say no to.

Anyone making their way to Eamon O'Kanes fight in Lavey this weekend ? I hope it goes well.

On a sadder note, condolences to the McCullaghs a well known boxing family in Derry City today as they lay to rest Dean, brother of Tyrone (who after a very successful amateur career has recently turned pro). Dean was a big gentleman who loved his boxing and will be sadly missed by anyone who ever came into contact with him.
ive just turned green after reading this. I with ten other lads went over for the PAC v Cotto fight a few years back, half went to the fight the other half paid the 50 bucks to the screen viewing. The hall is massive with 8k in attendance and the screens are huge and i mean huge. The general consensus between us was that the screen viewing was every bit as good as the fight arena. The bots in the arena where way back in the arena.
Atmosphere was electric, I can only imagine what it will be like his weekend!
And the talent, my Jaysus the talent. I've never seen so many stunners in the one place. And I mean stunners!

annapr

What time will this fight start ? Our time that is.

JoG2

Happy days atticus and indeed rip to Dean. He was a character !

bennydorano

Enjoy Atticus.

God is going to be the big winner this weekend going by thon press conference.

I dearly want to see Pacquiao win but i cant see it happening either.

CiKe

Quote from: DennistheMenace on April 28, 2015, 02:23:48 PM
Yeah I agree, he definitely won the De La Hoya fight in my books. He is rightly favourite for this fight and I can only really remember Mayweather in trouble once in his whole career when i thought he was in trouble, against Mosley

Yep, I can't believe there is any debate about the DLH fight. Clear as day.

He was in trouble against Mosley for about 5 seconds from what I remember in the 2nd round I think. Apart from that it was a cake walk!

Think the Castillo one was the closest one to be honest but still thought he nicked it.