Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: BennyHarp on April 10, 2015, 09:45:56 PM
Quote from: Syferus on April 10, 2015, 09:31:16 PM
Andy may have got a lucky break with the Quillin fight becoming a non-title because 'Kid Chocolate' couldn't make the weight. He is a dangerous opponent and was a surprising first defence. If Andy wins there's no cause for a rematch for the title and if he loses he at least gets a second crack at it and likely will have time for a big fight at home regardless.

If Quillin wins the title becomes vacant I believe. Do we know if Lee gets an automatic shot at the title if he loses?

I don't think there's any automatic vacation. Certainly not how the story has been reported.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Syferus on April 10, 2015, 09:49:32 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on April 10, 2015, 09:45:56 PM
Quote from: Syferus on April 10, 2015, 09:31:16 PM
Andy may have got a lucky break with the Quillin fight becoming a non-title because 'Kid Chocolate' couldn't make the weight. He is a dangerous opponent and was a surprising first defence. If Andy wins there's no cause for a rematch for the title and if he loses he at least gets a second crack at it and likely will have time for a big fight at home regardless.

If Quillin wins the title becomes vacant I believe. Do we know if Lee gets an automatic shot at the title if he loses?

I don't think there's any automatic vacation. Certainly not how the story has been reported.

Fair enough, I thought that was the process based on a hazy memory of a previous fight. Though having done a bit more research i realise I'm talking bollocks!  :)
That was never a square ball!!

BennyHarp

Lee in big trouble here in the first round and down again in the third. Looking like a tough night for him.

BennyHarp

Good comeback, Quillin knocked down in the 7th - decent fight!

BennyHarp

Draw! To be fair to Lee he did well to get back into that fight, he looked gone after first round.

Asal Mor

Quote from: BennyHarp on April 12, 2015, 02:20:40 AM
Good comeback, Quillin knocked down in the 7th - decent fight!

Yeah he's some man to bounce back in fights, it's something he's done throughout his career. He's a really brave lad and a quality fighter, who's come out the right side of some compelling battles.. I also liked the fact that they showed each other respect during the build-up and the fight itself, rather than the usual old arch enemies routine.

omaghjoe

Good fight. I was worried for Andy at the knockouts but he battled back well, Quillin is very dangerous. Very close fight and the draw was fair although if you had to pick a winner Quillin probably would have sneaked it for me based on the two knockdowns. However in saying that the 2nd knockout he was standing on Andy's foot.
A rematch is defo in order as neither would be sensible to go anywhere near Golovkin. Which isnt how it should be  I might add.

Golovkin should be made the mandatory challenger for belts at middle weight if any where worth their salt. Although it won't happen, but at least WBC did the honourable thing, not that Cotto is gonna honour it, wonder what excuse he will come up with for vacating the belt?

On a side note anyone see the Petersen Garcia fight on afterwards? I though Petersen won easy but lost on MD

TF15

Oul Frank Warren will be rubbing his mits after that fight. Lee v Billy Joe Saunders will be made in the summer now. It'll be a stadium fight (20-30k capacity, maybe Upton Park) too as they both have huge traveller support.

Lee is as brave a fighter as you'll ever see and he has a bazooka of a right hand which will give him a fighting chance in any fight. His footwork and boxing at range was at as high a level as I've seen from him also.

GGG beats both Quillan and Andy on the same night but there is some class domestic match ups ahead potentially. Lee v BJS, Lee v Eubank, BJS v Eubank II. Throw Matthew Macklin, Spike O'Sullivan, Eamonn O'Kane into the mix too (although for me a level below Lee/BJS/Eubank now for varying reasons age/ability) and its very tasty division. Also could add Martin Murray but he's talking about moving up to Super-Middle.

Petersen beat Garcia for me, but I'm not too sad about him getting a bad decision as he robbed Khan a couple of years back with a shocker of a hometown decision and is a known PEDs cheat. 

bridgegael

"the man in the hat"
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

The Iceman

we wery very lucky to have grown up in this era of boxing. 30 years ago today. Hard to beat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9j-WNOjPLFs
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

muppet

Quote from: The Iceman on April 15, 2015, 08:38:44 PM
we wery very lucky to have grown up in this era of boxing. 30 years ago today. Hard to beat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9j-WNOjPLFs

There was more in that era of Middleweight boxing alone than in the entire history of other sports. Incredible stuff.
MWWSI 2017

nrico2006

'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

JoG2

Just watched the itv Carl Froch documentary. Definitely one of my favourite boxers. Not sure how his final fight or 2 will pan out, but he was  great to watch, always an action packed bruising battle.  A real battler, unbelievably tough. Ducked no one.

omaghjoe

Quote from: nrico2006 on April 16, 2015, 08:35:37 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 14, 2015, 11:32:26 PM
Ricky has taken to many blows to the head!

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/apr/14/floyd-mayweather-manny-pacquiao-amir-khan-superfight-ricky-hatton-world-title-las-vegas?CMP=share_btn_tw

*too

I decided to read that article for the craic because I actually think that Mayweather would suit Kahn, Mayweather hates the fast hands and doesn't have the knockout power that puts the fear of God up Kahn.

However when I got to this line...."Amir has never shied away from a challenge".....  I just shook my head andsaid "ah dear poor aul Ricky"