Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TF15

Algieri is a disappointing fight alright but in his last 15 fights he's fought names such as Alexander, Collazo, Maidana, Judah, Garcia, Petersen, malignaggi, McCloskey, kotelnik,  Molina, Barrera. All men who've won world titles or been at that level. I genuinely think he views Brook as his back up if he doesn't get the big names in America. Losing that fight may leave him nowhere to go whereas he will always have that pay day. It's disappointing but Algeiri was a world Champion at 140. If you do a similar analysis of Brooks last 10 fights bar Porter you'll only know Matthew Hatton. The rest are don't compare to any of Khans aforementioned opposition.

nrico2006

Quote from: TF15 on April 03, 2015, 01:37:27 PM
Algieri is a disappointing fight alright but in his last 15 fights he's fought names such as Alexander, Collazo, Maidana, Judah, Garcia, Petersen, malignaggi, McCloskey, kotelnik,  Molina, Barrera. All men who've won world titles or been at that level. I genuinely think he views Brook as his back up if he doesn't get the big names in America. Losing that fight may leave him nowhere to go whereas he will always have that pay day. It's disappointing but Algeiri was a world Champion at 140. If you do a similar analysis of Brooks last 10 fights bar Porter you'll only know Matthew Hatton. The rest are don't compare to any of Khans aforementioned opposition.

But Brook is now a champion and is looking for the fight with Khan.  If you really analyse Khans opponents then a lot of them were not top, top drawer.  Kotelnik, Molina, Malignaggi, Peterson (who beat him), Alexander and Collazo were all safe enough options as they have no real power while he took on Judah and Barrera who were well past their best (and needed a doctor to get a technical victory over Barrera).  Why has he never attempted to avenge his losses against Peterson, Prescott or Garcia?  Why not try and arrange a fight with Broner, Rios, Bradley, Marquez, Thurman or Porter?  Or Brook?

'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

DennistheMenace

There will be loads of non boxing people watching the fight regardless of the hour it's on.

gallsman

Not to mention a certain M. Pacquiao. Not that he offered much in that fight though.

gallsman

Quote from: nrico2006 on April 03, 2015, 02:12:21 PM

But Brook is now a champion and is looking for the fight with Khan.  If you really analyse Khans opponents then a lot of them were not top, top drawer.  Kotelnik, Molina, Malignaggi, Peterson (who beat him), Alexander and Collazo were all safe enough options as they have no real power while he took on Judah and Barrera who were well past their best (and needed a doctor to get a technical victory over Barrera).  Why has he never attempted to avenge his losses against Peterson, Prescott or Garcia?  Why not try and arrange a fight with Broner, Rios, Bradley, Marquez, Thurman or Porter?  Or Brook?

As Dan Rafael says, he's not a champion, he's (like Frampton) a titleholder. Of all the things khan can be accused of, avoiding tough fights is not one of them.

Also, khan did not "need" a doctor in that fight against Barrera. He was dominating him as MAB was completely shot at that stage.

TF15

I just feel that everyone is giving Brook a free ride like he's someone who takes on all comers but him and Khan are both the same age, Brook has had 34 fights and Khan 33 and look at the difference in caliber of opponent. Even the most critical eyes on Khan's CV show him to have fought a different league of opposition.

It's disappointing the fights don't get made when we want them, but unfortunately Boxing is a business and has more politics than any other sport.

BennyHarp

Quote from: TF15 on April 03, 2015, 03:51:33 PM
I just feel that everyone is giving Brook a free ride like he's someone who takes on all comers but him and Khan are both the same age, Brook has had 34 fights and Khan 33 and look at the difference in caliber of opponent. Even the most critical eyes on Khan's CV show him to have fought a different league of opposition.

It's disappointing the fights don't get made when we want them, but unfortunately Boxing is a business and has more politics than any other sport.

Being an Olympic silver medalist and coming into the pros with a high profile meant that Khan was always going to get fast tracked into the big fights. Brook has had to work his way through the small hall events (I've attended two of his fights in Sheffield) and as a result, his list of opponents may not be as impressive. But, he''s got there now on merit and beating Porter in America launched him into the top end of the welterweight bracket. I think they are now both at a similar level, Khan may well win if they met but his constant nonsense about Brook not being at his level is not doing him any favours and it is he, who appears to be avoiding the fight. As a result he is the one getting the rough ride. Why would he choose to fight Algieri in a nothing fight, for a relatively small purse when he could tackle Brook for a world title, at a packed Wembley stadium and a massive pay day? This seems strange to me and makes it look like Khan is ducking him.
That was never a square ball!!

CiKe

Quote from: BennyHarp on April 03, 2015, 05:39:01 PM
Quote from: TF15 on April 03, 2015, 03:51:33 PM

Being an Olympic silver medalist and coming into the pros with a high profile meant that Khan was always going to get fast tracked into the big fights. Brook has had to work his way through the small hall events (I've attended two of his fights in Sheffield) and as a result, his list of opponents may not be as impressive. But, he''s got there now on merit and beating Porter in America launched him into the top end of the welterweight bracket. I think they are now both at a similar level, Khan may well win if they met but his constant nonsense about Brook not being at his level is not doing him any favours and it is he, who appears to be avoiding the fight. As a result he is the one getting the rough ride. Why would he choose to fight Algieri in a nothing fight, for a relatively small purse when he could tackle Brook for a world title, at a packed Wembley stadium and a massive pay day? This seems strange to me and makes it look like Khan is ducking him.

Think that is pretty spot on. Not sure what the story with Khan maybe fighting winner of Mayweather-Pacquiao is, but I wouldn't discount it as like him or loathe him - in my case the latter - he is nearly always in exciting scraps. If he has got word that he is next in line then I can understand him holding off on Brook, as even if he lost to one of them Brook would still be an option. The fact he is holding off suggests he isn't convinced he beats Brook, but I actually wouldn't hold it against him as think will definitely happen. If he gets spanked by either of those two however and still demands 50-50 or better etc. then I would like Brook to tell him to piss off but ultimately not sure that Brook is going to have huge options for massive paydays and he wont find a better option.

BennyHarp

Eddie Hearn goes on Sky Sports and shows a cheque for £1.5m made out to Carl Frampton to fight Scott Quigg in Manchester. Looks like a desperate act by Hearn to try and make out Frampton doesn't want the fight. Unfortunately it looks to me like this fight may be unlikely to happen any time soon, especially after McGuigan's response!

Syferus

Frampton's right to stand his ground. Hearn is cosy with Sky but this fight would be huge on ITV (both for the fighters' profiles and the sport's profile) and it obviously should be a co-promotion because both fighters are 'domestic' stars in their own rights.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Syferus on April 07, 2015, 04:43:41 PM
Frampton's right to stand his ground. Hearn is cosy with Sky but this fight would be huge on ITV (both for the fighters' profiles and the sport's profile) and it obviously should be a co-promotion because both fighters are 'domestic' stars in their own rights.

What is Quiggs  actual title?  Frampton is a proper belt holder and should get the bigger purse. Hearn playing games which is what promoters do.. Sky have the money but pay per view pisses most boxing fans off
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

oakleaflad

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 07, 2015, 05:23:44 PM

What is Quiggs  actual title?  Frampton is a proper belt holder and should get the bigger purse. Hearn playing games which is what promoters do.. Sky have the money but pay per view pisses most boxing fans off
JUNIOR FEATHERWEIGHT (122 LBS)
WBO                              IBF                      WBA                              WBC
Guillermo Rigondeaux    Carl Frampton      *Guillermo Rigondeaux      Leo Santa Cruz

Scott Quigg is the WBA "regular" junior featherweight champion and Oscar Escandon is the WBA interim junior featherweight champion.

Basically the WBA have to mess things up by having various Super, Regular and interim champions. Rigo is the real WBA champion.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: oakleaflad on April 07, 2015, 05:30:55 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 07, 2015, 05:23:44 PM

JUNIOR FEATHERWEIGHT (122 LBS)
WBO                              IBF                      WBA                              WBC
Guillermo Rigondeaux    Carl Frampton      *Guillermo Rigondeaux      Leo Santa Cruz

Scott Quigg is the WBA "regular" junior featherweight champion and Oscar Escandon is the WBA interim junior featherweight champion.

Basically the WBA have to mess things up by having various Super, Regular and interim champions. Rigo is the real WBA champion.

So basically Quigg is division 3 champ? And Hearn is looking 50/50 purse ??? Dick Turpin had a mask....
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Syferus

Andy may have got a lucky break with the Quillin fight becoming a non-title because 'Kid Chocolate' couldn't make the weight. He is a dangerous opponent and was a surprising first defence. If Andy wins there's no cause for a rematch for the title and if he loses he at least gets a second crack at it and likely will have time for a big fight at home regardless.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Syferus on April 10, 2015, 09:31:16 PM
Andy may have got a lucky break with the Quillin fight becoming a non-title because 'Kid Chocolate' couldn't make the weight. He is a dangerous opponent and was a surprising first defence. If Andy wins there's no cause for a rematch for the title and if he loses he at least gets a second crack at it and likely will have time for a big fight at home regardless.

If Quillin wins the title becomes vacant I believe. Do we know if Lee gets an automatic shot at the title if he loses?