Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Quote from: oakleaflad on December 18, 2014, 05:10:24 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on December 18, 2014, 05:04:32 PM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on December 18, 2014, 04:57:02 PM
It's a long time ago now but Golovkin defeated Andy Lee easily in an amateur bout.

the definitive answer I was looking for :-)
He actually beat Andy Lee and Matt Korobov in the same tournament.
GGG's biggest fights are not in his weight class, move down to fight Mayweather or up to fight Ward. Mayweather won't happen so his best chance to prove he is the best would be to move up and beat Ward.

I think the Ward fight could actually happen if they tried to make it happen. GGG appears willing to fight anyone, anywhere. He's been adopted as one of their own over the last few years and given Ward's inactivity, either through the injury or legal dispute, he'll have a hard time winning back his fans. Would be fascinating as Ward would be by far the slickest fighter he's faced (assuming he hasn't lost anything) and it would be interesting to see how his power carries half a stone upwards. From the way he knocks people about the place, I reckon his power would handle the increased weight pretty easily.

nrico2006

Quillan was afraid to fight Korobov so never fighting GGG. Would love to see him fight Ward, Alvarez, Martinez, Froch or Ward.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Syferus

Quote from: nrico2006 on December 18, 2014, 08:49:29 PM
Quillan was afraid to fight Korobov so never fighting GGG. Would love to see him fight Ward, Alvarez, Martinez, Froch or Ward.

In fairness Quillan would have faced Korobov if not for his manager, Al Haymon, a former music mogul who has a lot of bad blood with Jay-Z and Beyoncé - Jay-Z's Roc Nation won the bid for that particular world title fight and Quillan agreed to drop the belt rather than fight..

..yes, Andy has 99 problems but a world title ain't one.

gallsman

Martinez is done and would take a horrific beating from GGG. His power against the Froch chin would be interesting!

Syferus

Quote from: gallsman on December 19, 2014, 01:29:33 AM

Martinez is done and would take a horrific beating from GGG. His power against the Froch chin would be interesting!

Froch has heart but my God is he easy to hit. His technique is really poor on combinations and it regresses to flailing at points. GGG would have a field day.

gallsman

Quote from: Syferus on December 19, 2014, 03:01:50 AM
Quote from: gallsman on December 19, 2014, 01:29:33 AM

Froch has heart but my God is he easy to hit. His technique is really poor on combinations and it regresses to flailing at points. GGG would have a field day.

GGG's defence isn't tip top either and he takes plenty of shots - he just tends to walk through them. Froch "literally" has the heart of a lion and his chin is like granite. I think his skills are fading, but he has been criminally underrated his entire career. Not necessarily saying I think he'd win but I think it would be a bloody good fight. Additionally, Froch has never ducked anyone and if the fight could be made for decent money (which it surely could, either here or in the States), I think both fighters would jump at it, although GGG might want to hoover up a few more middleweight belts before a step up.

Milltown Row2

See Paddy Barnes has nailed his true colours to his chest ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

CD

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 31, 2014, 12:12:34 AM
'That's not my anthem.'
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

amanda

Quote from: CD on December 31, 2014, 07:27:18 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 31, 2014, 12:12:34 AM
'That's not my anthem.'

Just trying to keep everyone happy

Gabriel_Hurl

Andy Lee vs Peter Quillin announced for April 11th in New York.
The fight will be broadcast on network television on NBC.

nrico2006

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on January 21, 2015, 09:45:51 PM
Andy Lee vs Peter Quillin announced for April 11th in New York.
The fight will be broadcast on network television on NBC.

I heard Lee is getting close to a million for this instead of taking a more winnable homecoming fight for a fraction of that.  Good luck to him, he'll need it.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

From the Bunker

Jez, a great fight between Moylette and Walsh in the light-welterweight final tonight. Moylette had done enough for me - more clean shots. Walsh lucky to have the influential Uncle Billy in his corner.  :-\

gallsman

Quote from: From the Bunker on January 24, 2015, 01:31:57 AM
Jez, a great fight between Moylette and Walsh in the light-welterweight final tonight. Moylette had done enough for me - more clean shots. Walsh lucky to have the influential Uncle Billy in his corner.  :-\

Got home just after that and heard it was fantastic. Next one up was flyweight between Casey and Metcalfe, which was abysmal. I felt short changed!

BennyHarp

Tried to find this online but does any of you know what time the ring walks for Murray v Golovokin and Smith v Abrahim fights are due? Obvious wins in both fights but interested to see how they pan out and would want to watch both.
That was never a square ball!!

JoG2

Quote from: BennyHarp on February 20, 2015, 01:06:40 AM
Tried to find this online but does any of you know what time the ring walks for Murray v Golovokin and Smith v Abrahim fights are due? Obvious wins in both fights but interested to see how they pan out and would want to watch both.

should be OK, in AA's case, German based boxers dont lose at home.

Golovkin fight on Channel 5, Smith fight on Sky and Frampton on ITV I hear. Thats a great Saturday nights viewing