Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atticus_Finch

Woke up like a kid at Christmas this morning hearing the news of Mayweather saying "yes" to a Pacquiao fight and even setting a date of May 2nd.

Mayweather has 2 more fights left of his 6 fight tv deal with Showtime and assuming he won those fights he would be 49-0. I always felt he might try angle the Pacquiao fight for his 50th fight when he would be a free agent and get the chance to earn those few more dollars that he desperately needs, possibly eclipsing Rocky Marciano's 49-0 record in the process. However, Mayweather and his adviser Al Haymon are not so slow at getting out the watering can and making the green on offer grow as much as possible. They may well decide the time for the fight is now between the top 2 pound for pound fighters*  The marketability of the fight was not what it once was with Pacquiao having sustained losses in recent years and Father Time gradually catching up with both fighters. Following Pacquiao's impressive win over Chris Algieri this could be the time to make the fight for Mayweather with Pacquiao prepared to accept the "poor man's" portion of the fight purse and also agreeing to all drug testing which had been a previous stumbling block. Bob Arum (Pacquiao's promoter) may be prepared to play his part for once as he also realises the time is now to tap the lucrative new market of China for potential massive PPV numbers.

It could well just happen this time round but I'm just not quite as believing as the kid at Christmas and will be keeping my free cancellation policy for the MGM Grand on the weekend of May 2nd very handy !

In other news, Andy Lee may have the best chance he ever will of winning a world title as he fights Matt Korobov for the vacant WBO middleweight belt on the undercard of the Tim Bradley vs Diego Chaves fight in Vegas tonight. Korobov was a great amateur but he hasn't shared the ring with that illustrious company as of late, while Andy Lee has gained some valuable experience particularly against Chavez Jnr and seems to be developing well under Adam Booth. Korobov deserves to be favourite and while I know I'll have a natural bias towards any Irish fighter I can't help but feel that Lee is value, with some bookmakers offering odds as big as 3/1 on his chances of winning tonight.

*due to the lack of competition in the heavyweight division I just can't have Klitschko as number 2 in the P4P list
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

bennydorano

What do you think of Khan v Alexander Af?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: bennydorano on December 13, 2014, 07:13:20 PM
What do you think of Khan v Alexander Af?
Khan's desperation to get the Money fight is embarrassing. Seen some shite in the paper yesterday where he was asking the public to demand the fight happens.

Would love to see him get chinned tonight and put it all to bed.

JoG2

Khan will have his team doctor there to stop Alexander should they feel he is in bother....nothing will stop Team Khan getting all the cash they deserve

TF15

Khan might come out with stupid comments etc but he is a classy classy boxer. Yes he has a dodgy chin but that's not his fault and he shows unreal heart any time he gets caught. His skill set and his vulnerability to big shots make his fights very exciting. His fight with Maidana was fight of the year a couple of years back. Think Virgil Hunter has done a really good job so far with Khan and on the face of it Khans defence seems to have tightened. I think he will win on points, perhaps having to come off the floor. It is a bit repetitive him wanting to fight Mayweather, Pacquiao etc but in fairness to the lad he wants to fight the best and there's a hell of a lot in the boxing game without that attitude. If more had his attitude it'd be a much better sport for fans who are frustrated constantly with the politics which stop the best fighting the best.

Until Pacquiao and Mayweather are in the ring I'll not get excited about the fight as there's been too many false dawns.

Andy Lee v Korobov is a great fight, think Korobov will win but Andy will give a very good showing, hope I'm wrong.

bridgegael

"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bridgegael on December 14, 2014, 06:24:37 AM
Good man andy lee.

Fantastic result..... Ireland 'punching' well above its weight lately
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bridgegael

Always thought lee would be a world champion, didnt th it would take this long.  Delighted for ihim. Somewhat stole the limelight from amir cant that side of the pond tii last night
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

BennyHarp

Quote from: bridgegael on December 14, 2014, 09:57:23 AM
Always thought lee would be a world champion, didnt th it would take this long.  Delighted for ihim. Somewhat stole the limelight from amir cant that side of the pond tii last night

Did he really? I'm no fan of Amir Khan but he was excellent last night. Fair play to Andy Lee, Billy Joe Saunders and himself should be interesting.
That was never a square ball!!

TF15

Class win for Lee! Handled the step up in weight much bette than I expected. Why is there so little buzz in the streets about the guy though? If you compare him with say Frampton? Marketing I guess! Khan was flawless last night made a two weight world champion look bang average with his hand speed. I'll get slated for this cause most peoples opinion of Khan are warped by their dislike his personality and his earlier career but I think Khan is the only man who can beat Mayweather and has a much greater chance than Pacquiao if he keeps to how he is boxing under Hunder. Styles make fights and Khans style is all wrong for Maywesther. I honestly believe his chances of fighting Mayweather will have worsened after last night. Floyd is no mug and will realise Khans ability to take rounds with his combos and in out style is a nightmare for anyone unless you can brawl him, something Maywesther doesn't do.

gallsman

Quote from: TF15 on December 14, 2014, 11:16:58 AM
Class win for Lee! Handled the step up in weight much bette than I expected. Why is there so little buzz in the streets about the guy though? If you compare him with say Frampton? Marketing I guess! Khan was flawless last night made a two weight world champion look bang average with his hand speed. I'll get slated for this cause most peoples opinion of Khan are warped by their dislike his personality and his earlier career but I think Khan is the only man who can beat Mayweather and has a much greater chance than Pacquiao if he keeps to how he is boxing under Hunder. Styles make fights and Khans style is all wrong for Maywesther. I honestly believe his chances of fighting Mayweather will have worsened after last night. Floyd is no mug and will realise Khans ability to take rounds with his combos and in out style is a nightmare for anyone unless you can brawl him, something Maywesther doesn't do.

Because he's flattered to deceive on several previous occasions and got badly beaten up by Chavez Jr.

Milltown Row2

Marketing plays a big part. hopefully that will give him platform to have massive defence title fight in Ireland.
A double bill with Frampton would bring in some fans
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

oakleaflad

Lee didn't really step up in weight. He has been boxing at middleweight all his pro career and only dropped down for his last fight where he was poor to be honest before getting the KO. Back at middleweight where he belongs. Was great to see him win and will be a popular champion for sure but he isn't in the top 5 middleweights in the world if we are being honest.

TF15

Yeah I just meant the step up again for this fight because in interviews he had been saying he would have preferred the World title shot at the lower weight class but got the chance at middle so he wasn't going to turn it down. Lee also said he would fancy a go at Golovkin and wouldn't fear it. Would enjoy that fight while it lasted! Lee would throw the kitchen sink for the first few rounds in the hope he finds GGG before GGG finds him. But to be honest Golovkin is just to good and punches too hard for Lee (anyone in the division) to withstand.

gallsman

Quote from: TF15 on December 14, 2014, 12:47:46 PM
Yeah I just meant the step up again for this fight because in interviews he had been saying he would have preferred the World title shot at the lower weight class but got the chance at middle so he wasn't going to turn it down. Lee also said he would fancy a go at Golovkin and wouldn't fear it. Would enjoy that fight while it lasted! Lee would throw the kitchen sink for the first few rounds in the hope he finds GGG before GGG finds him. But to be honest Golovkin is just to good and punches too hard for Lee (anyone in the division) to withstand.

Simple - Lee is lying. Everyone at middleweight is terrified of GGG. Most at super middle too.