Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: bennydorano on May 31, 2014, 10:43:37 PM
f**k me, sweet as a nut.  Groves didn't know where he was for a good 2 mins. Froch was bossing it up until the previous round when Groves started to look good.

Yep - what fight was Khan watching when he said Groves was on top? One too many hits to the head for that lad I think

CiKe

Massive respect for Froch. Don't think there is a boxer anywhere who has had a series of fights that tough for a long long time. Arguably out of his last 12 fights he would only have been heavily favoured against Glen Johnson and Yusaf Mack.

Unfortunately for him think Ward is just too good for him but would love to see Golovkin against Froch. Irresistible force vs immovable object? Still, couldn't blame him if he wanted to quit while was ahead and go out on top - no one could begrudge him that.

CiKe

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on May 31, 2014, 10:49:02 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on May 31, 2014, 10:43:37 PM
f**k me, sweet as a nut.  Groves didn't know where he was for a good 2 mins. Froch was bossing it up until the previous round when Groves started to look good.

Yep - what fight was Khan watching when he said Groves was on top? One too many hits to the head for that lad I think

Now you can understand why Khan actually thinks he can beat Mayweather - hasn't a notion!

Walter Cronc

Think a lot of ppl being overly critical of Groves. Yes he perhaps got into a bit of a dog fight between 3 and 6 but I thought he was coming on strong 7&8. No shame in getting beat by Froch. I think the lad has a big career ahead of him.

The author was Donald McRae God14.

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Club Rossa

Emphatic finish from the Cobra,just as Groves was beginning to warm to the task.Groves had a good 7th but I had Froch ahead by 3.Thought it strange when Khan said Groves was controlling the fight.I think Froch will vacate the IBF belt now and head to Vegas for one last payday.Groves will come back stronger from this and I would love to see him fight DeGale again,no love lost their either.

J OGorman

some finish by Froch, some fighter. Was worrying for Groves that the cobra was in the lead in the early rounds as he finishes strongly as he wears the opponent down.
Re Khan, what fight was he watching??...didnt the commentator not ask was he sure he didnt mean Froch? what a loon

Syferus

Was warming up into a great fight. Disappointed in one way that we didn't see it go closer to the distance but it was knockout of the year stuff from Froch.

Froch will probably his big payday (and loss, let's be honest) in his next fight and walk off into the sunset. If he wants to end it on a high now is the moment, though.

muppet

Quote from: Franko on May 27, 2014, 03:40:20 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on April 08, 2014, 09:44:34 PM
Quote from: muppet on April 08, 2014, 08:05:19 PM
Quote from: Syferus on April 08, 2014, 07:18:34 PM
Hopefully John Joe recovers quickly. Really classy boxer who has plenty of potential to become a world class boxer at the professional level. Would be better off if he moved permanently away from Ireland so he can rid himself of people like those who did this to him.

Always came across as a decent lad in interviews, you'd think fellow Travellers would have some sense with regards someone who has represented his community and his country so well, but it seems like these petty, childish feuds are the only thing that elicits passion from a significant minority of the population.

This is very much an Irish thing though. Some of us hate to see a fella lose the run of himself by being successful and the like.

Why is that? We really do love to slag off anyone successful. Rory McIlroy is one of the biggest names in world sport but 90% of sports fans in ireland think he's a ****! Americans seem to be the opposite and love their sports stars.

This attitude really does my head in - why is it that anyone who doesn't like McIlroy is labelled as either a sectarian bigot or as being jealous of his success?

Probably happens when they qualify their dislike by talk of playing for Britain, Castle Catholicism etc.

If I say, I just can't warm to him as a person, I probably won't get labelled sectarian or jealous.

However I can only but admire his achievements.
MWWSI 2017

Milltown Row2

Quote from: muppet on June 01, 2014, 10:20:00 PM
Quote from: Franko on May 27, 2014, 03:40:20 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on April 08, 2014, 09:44:34 PM
Quote from: muppet on April 08, 2014, 08:05:19 PM
Quote from: Syferus on April 08, 2014, 07:18:34 PM
Hopefully John Joe recovers quickly. Really classy boxer who has plenty of potential to become a world class boxer at the professional level. Would be better off if he moved permanently away from Ireland so he can rid himself of people like those who did this to him.

Always came across as a decent lad in interviews, you'd think fellow Travellers would have some sense with regards someone who has represented his community and his country so well, but it seems like these petty, childish feuds are the only thing that elicits passion from a significant minority of the population.

This is very much an Irish thing though. Some of us hate to see a fella lose the run of himself by being successful and the like.

Why is that? We really do love to slag off anyone successful. Rory McIlroy is one of the biggest names in world sport but 90% of sports fans in ireland think he's a ****! Americans seem to be the opposite and love their sports stars.

This attitude really does my head in - why is it that anyone who doesn't like McIlroy is labelled as either a sectarian bigot or as being jealous of his success?

Probably happens when they qualify their dislike by talk of playing for Britain, Castle Catholocism etc.

If I say, I just can't warm to him as a person, I probably won't get labelled sectarian or jealous.

However I can only but admire his achievements.

Exactly
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Franko

Fair enough.  Just so we're clear then - I just can't warm to him as a person.

muppet

Quote from: Franko on June 02, 2014, 10:20:39 AM
Fair enough.  Just so we're clear then - I just can't warm to him as a person.

;D ;D ;D
MWWSI 2017

Christmas Lights

Quote from: CiKe on May 31, 2014, 10:51:24 PM
Massive respect for Froch. Don't think there is a boxer anywhere who has had a series of fights that tough for a long long time. Arguably out of his last 12 fights he would only have been heavily favoured against Glen Johnson and Yusaf Mack.

Unfortunately for him think Ward is just too good for him but would love to see Golovkin against Froch. Irresistible force vs immovable object? Still, couldn't blame him if he wanted to quit while was ahead and go out on top - no one could begrudge him that.

Totally agree with this, Froch deserves massive respect IMO.  Some of the fights Froch has had in the last 5 years have been immense.  He really does have a granite chin and he is as hard as nails.  Its only really this last 2 years that the British and Irish public have taken notice of him. He has taken a lot of fights away from home if you like to build up his reputation.  From his 12 round knockout of Jermaine Taylor where he virtually lost every round to the knockout of Groves,  nearly every fight has been pure entertainment.  Hes one of those guys that can take a punch to give a punch.  He was able to walk through some of Groves shots the other night to get it own off. 

Hopefully he gets his dream of a big Las Vegas fight.  Id like to see him fight Golovkin as that's a fight that could potentially be made in Las Vegas.  Andre Ward, whilst probably the best boxer in that division, unfortunately just doesn't have the fanbase or appeal to create a really box office megafight.

Syferus

Quote from: Christmas Lights on June 02, 2014, 05:39:22 PM

Totally agree with this, Froch deserves massive respect IMO.  Some of the fights Froch has had in the last 5 years have been immense.  He really does have a granite chin and he is as hard as nails.  Its only really this last 2 years that the British and Irish public have taken notice of him. He has taken a lot of fights away from home if you like to build up his reputation.  From his 12 round knockout of Jermaine Taylor where he virtually lost every round to the knockout of Groves,  nearly every fight has been pure entertainment.  Hes one of those guys that can take a punch to give a punch.  He was able to walk through some of Groves shots the other night to get it own off. 

Hopefully he gets his dream of a big Las Vegas fight.  Id like to see him fight Golovkin as that's a fight that could potentially be made in Las Vegas.  Andre Ward, whilst probably the best boxer in that division, unfortunately just doesn't have the fanbase or appeal to create a really box office megafight.

To be honest it's Ward-GGG that is the proper megafight. Froch fighting either of them is just keeping that one from happening for even longer.

Either one will make ribbons of Froch.

J OGorman

Quote from: Syferus on June 02, 2014, 08:17:55 PM
Quote from: Christmas Lights on June 02, 2014, 05:39:22 PM

To be honest it's Ward-GGG that is the proper megafight. Froch fighting either of them is just keeping that one from happening for even longer.

Either one will make ribbons of Froch.

Froch has been in with the best and hasn't been stopped yet. As has been said on here and with Sat night still fresh on the mind, all it takes is one punch. Froch has this incredible toughness about him. Would definitely start as underdog fornenst either of the big 2 but neither would make ribbons of him.
He'll fight whoever is put in front of him...that's what he's always done