Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Franko

Quote from: JimStynes on April 08, 2014, 09:44:34 PM
Quote from: muppet on April 08, 2014, 08:05:19 PM
Quote from: Syferus on April 08, 2014, 07:18:34 PM
Hopefully John Joe recovers quickly. Really classy boxer who has plenty of potential to become a world class boxer at the professional level. Would be better off if he moved permanently away from Ireland so he can rid himself of people like those who did this to him.

Always came across as a decent lad in interviews, you'd think fellow Travellers would have some sense with regards someone who has represented his community and his country so well, but it seems like these petty, childish feuds are the only thing that elicits passion from a significant minority of the population.

This is very much an Irish thing though. Some of us hate to see a fella lose the run of himself by being successful and the like.

Why is that? We really do love to slag off anyone successful. Rory McIlroy is one of the biggest names in world sport but 90% of sports fans in ireland think he's a ****! Americans seem to be the opposite and love their sports stars.

This attitude really does my head in - why is it that anyone who doesn't like McIlroy is labelled as either a sectarian bigot or as being jealous of his success?

screenexile

Quote from: Franko on May 27, 2014, 03:40:20 PM
Hopefully John Joe recovers quickly. Really classy boxer who has plenty of potential to become a world class boxer at the professional level. Would be better off if he moved permanently away from Ireland so he can rid himself of people like those who did this to him.

Always came across as a decent lad in interviews, you'd think fellow Travellers would have some sense with regards someone who has represented his community and his country so well, but it seems like these petty, childish feuds are the only thing that elicits passion from a significant minority of the population.

This is very much an Irish thing though. Some of us hate to see a fella lose the run of himself by being successful and the like.

Why is that? We really do love to slag off anyone successful. Rory McIlroy is one of the biggest names in world sport but 90% of sports fans in ireland think he's a ****! Americans seem to be the opposite and love their sports stars.

This attitude really does my head in - why is it that anyone who doesn't like McIlroy is labelled as either a sectarian bigot or as being jealous of his success?

I don't mind people not liking him, that's their prerogative but there's a lot of people who don't like him for those reasons you stated and when pressed on the issue find it very hard to produce a different reason for not particularly liking him!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: screenexile on May 27, 2014, 03:44:54 PM
Quote from: Franko on May 27, 2014, 03:40:20 PM

I don't mind people not liking him, that's their prerogative but there's a lot of people who don't like him for those reasons you stated and when pressed on the issue find it very hard to produce a different reason for not particularly liking him!

Correct Screen, some people actually hate the fact that they are closet bigots ;) To hate someone for some of the reasons spouted on here are daft (IMO), have some balls and give your real reasons ffs (not you screen ;) )
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Club Rossa

I think Froch totally underestimated Groves first time around.No doubt the stoppage was premature but I do think Froch would have finished Groves before the bell.I fancy Froch to stop him again but it would be no great shock either if Groves was to get the win.
Neither fighter covered themselves in glory in the build up to the first fight,but Froch has carried himself well this time while Groves continues to be as annoying as before.Hope Froch sparks him.
Will be interesting to see if Degale providing he does the business himself gets a shot at the winner.

bridgegael

can i get the fight on sky box office if i dont have sky sports package?
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Mikhail Prokhorov

Quote from: bridgegael on May 27, 2014, 04:56:55 PM

trust me, sky do not refuse money  ;)

God14

Yep. Totally separate

gallsman

Quote from: Club Rossa on May 27, 2014, 04:34:55 PM
I think Froch totally underestimated Groves first time around.No doubt the stoppage was premature but I do think Froch would have finished Groves before the bell.I fancy Froch to stop him again but it would be no great shock either if Groves was to get the win.
Neither fighter covered themselves in glory in the build up to the first fight,but Froch has carried himself well this time while Groves continues to be as annoying as before.Hope Froch sparks him.
Will be interesting to see if Degale providing he does the business himself gets a shot at the winner.

Yup. Stoppage was early but I think it would have come 20-30 seconds later anyway. Froch had landed three or four huge shots right down the middle that Groves wasn't seeing.

If Groves wins, DeGale would be the sensible fight. If Froch wins, I don't think DeGale has done anywhere near enough to earn a shot. Froch should either take a big money fight in the States or retire.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: God14 on May 27, 2014, 07:57:01 PM

Yep. Totally separate

How much is it to get the fight in?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

nrico2006

Froch was doing well in that period but if Groves had took a count he would have probably seen out the round and regrouped.  He was in no more trouble then than Froch was in round 1, yet the referee was probably influenced by his own bias towards Frochs reputation as a tough fighter etc etc and gave him more of an advantage.  The fight is £15, £20 if you only order it on the day.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

STREET FIGHTER

Maybe the wrong thread but do you need an operating phone line to order it off sky??

nrico2006

Quote from: STREET FIGHTER on May 28, 2014, 10:10:45 AM
Maybe the wrong thread but do you need an operating phone line to order it off sky??

Don't think it should matter.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

BennyHarp

Quote from: nrico2006 on May 28, 2014, 10:02:52 AM
Froch was doing well in that period but if Groves had took a count he would have probably seen out the round and regrouped.  He was in no more trouble then than Froch was in round 1, yet the referee was probably influenced by his own bias towards Frochs reputation as a tough fighter etc etc and gave him more of an advantage.  The fight is £15, £20 if you only order it on the day.

I think the line about the ref having a bias towards Froch due to his reputation is just spin by Groves and total nonsense. Groves was in trouble and Froch would have ended it but Foster definitely stepped in too early. Either way, one of the two of them knows the truth, if Groves genuinely was gone then it will have to play on his mind going into this fight, if not then he will be supremely confident again. For me, Froch can't be as bad again, he was caught flush early on and took a few rounds to recover and when he did he was walking through Groves' best shots. What makes this fight so interesting is that we just don't know and perhaps time caught up with Froch in the last fight and if that's the case then it will be very tough for him.
That was never a square ball!!

nrico2006

Quote from: BennyHarp on May 28, 2014, 10:39:20 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on May 28, 2014, 10:02:52 AM

I think the line about the ref having a bias towards Froch due to his reputation is just spin by Groves and total nonsense. Groves was in trouble and Froch would have ended it but Foster definitely stepped in too early. Either way, one of the two of them knows the truth, if Groves genuinely was gone then it will have to play on his mind going into this fight, if not then he will be supremely confident again. For me, Froch can't be as bad again, he was caught flush early on and took a few rounds to recover and when he did he was walking through Groves' best shots. What makes this fight so interesting is that we just don't know and perhaps time caught up with Froch in the last fight and if that's the case then it will be very tough for him.

My own opinion was that Froch was afforded more leeway as everyone in boxing is aware that he has one of the toughest chins, therefore I'm sure the referee thinks the same and honestly don't think he would have stopped Froch if the situation was reversed.  Froch wasn't at his best in comparison to other fights, but again I think people underestimate the role that Groves had in this.  Its the same in other sports, when a team plays bad its usually not initially put down to the opposition actually casuing this.  Groves put Froch under a lot of pressure from the start and through his combination of good movement, spped and power Froch wasn't really allowed to dictate the fight.  I don't think Froch was anything special against Kessler and to be honest I can see Groves winning this if he boxes smart when required.

Walter Cronc

What time is the Froch v Groves fight?