Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J OGorman

Groves caught Froch with a dream punch that very few fighters would have got up from.  Froch was slow as a result.  Have never seen him look as laboured even against Kessler 1 and Ward. To continue like that in itself showed some bottle. Groves was hit repeatedly and didnt look like he could defend himself.  Froch hits hard.  He may well have finished groves,  we'll never know. Fight was maybe stopped early but he could have been badly hurt if a few more had landed.  He was bucked against the ropes after the ref stopped it. Exciting stuff

BennyHarp

Quote from: ballinaman on November 23, 2013, 11:51:48 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on November 23, 2013, 11:48:44 PM
Quote from: J OGorman on November 23, 2013, 11:31:18 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on November 23, 2013, 11:28:05 PM
What a joke. No wonder boxing has such a bad rep. Robbery

I hear what you are saying lad, but the ref seen groves take 7 or 8 bang on the head and didn't look like he could defend himself. Froch hits hard. Froch did well to get up from that sweet hit in Rd 1. He's a tough nut. Rematch

I wouldn't be surprised if Froch didn't fancy a rematch, though he was beginning to get on top in that fight and probably would have won had the ref let it continue. He was exposed tonight by a younger and very hungry fighter. Age and a lot of tough battles may have caught up on him.
Can't be sure of that. Few cheap shots by Froch, he was trying anything.

Indeed, we definitely can't be sure that he would have won, but he was coming more and more into the fight like he tends to do - he was in a battle and he had to do whatever it took to get through it. Froch getting booed was immensely unfair as lesser men would have been long gone after taking some of the shots he was taking, but he dug deep to try and turn the fight around. If anything Froch should be annoyed at the ref too as he's tainted what could possibly have been one of his greatest victories, coming from behind to hold onto his belts. Instead, he gets booed out of the ring!
That was never a square ball!!

GalwayBayBoy

Terrible stoppage but even worse scoring. Two judges had Groves only one round up which was a joke. The main boxing writer with ESPN had it 7-1 in rounds to Groves. Thought it was 6-2 myself. When the ref jumped in I thought Groves was actually trying to come forward to get himself off the ropes. Ref hopped on him and put him in a headlock.

Eddie Hearn the happiest man in the building.

washed_up

i thought the fight was closer but Groves definetly in front and a poor display from Froch although the knockdown certainly had an effect,was a standing count not an option for the ref when Groves looked in trouble?,otherwise some of the "you have to knock the defending champion out to get the verdict over the distance" will surface this week in the media

BennyHarp

Quote from: washed_up on November 24, 2013, 08:47:40 AM
i thought the fight was closer but Groves definetly in front and a poor display from Froch although the knockdown certainly had an effect,was a standing count not an option for the ref when Groves looked in trouble?,otherwise some of the "you have to knock the defending champion out to get the verdict over the distance" will surface this week in the media

That only happens in amateur boxing.

J OGorman

I would have had it 5-3 @ that stage. Jim watt is such an arse, even the 2 rounds Froch clearly won our jim had had thwm as 'nip n tuck'. The crowd weren't booing Froch,  they wanted blood and were booing the premature stoppage...ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED??!!

Fair dues to Groves,  he is a top class boxer, really fast hands and light on his feet but froch was fighting almost from the outset like a heavily handicapped race horse having been nearly pummelled into next week. Some difference watching this division than the heavyweights

BennyHarp

Quote from: J OGorman on November 24, 2013, 09:28:26 AM
I would have had it 5-3 @ that stage. Jim watt is such an arse, even the 2 rounds Froch clearly won our jim had had thwm as 'nip n tuck'. The crowd weren't booing Froch,  they wanted blood and were booing the premature stoppage...ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED??!!

Fair dues to Groves,  he is a top class boxer, really fast hands and light on his feet but froch was fighting almost from the outset like a heavily handicapped race horse having been nearly pummelled into next week. Some difference watching this division than the heavyweights

Jim Watt's commentary was ridiculously biased for some reason and he only called the shots that Groves was landing. I'd say the crowd were clearly booing Froch at the end - but his 10 minute monologue during his interview didn't help.

Syferus

I thought Froch had control of the fight before he got knocked down but he was utterly at sixes and sevens after that, he won at most two rounds before the stoppage.

Sickeningly early call by the ref, that ending really pissed me off. You could tell oul' Howard knew he had made a clanger by the look on his face afterwards. Should have let it continue to at the very worst a more conclusive stoppage for Froch. Groves deserved better, he was jobbed.

Froch would be annihilated by GGG. 

gallsman

Premature call certainly but given there was a minute left in the round, I don't think the end would have been too far away. For all his dominance, Groves took some big shots throughout the fight. Froch's chin and heart are just incredible. As is Rachel Cordingley.

Froch looked (or was made to look) very, very old last night. He needs to forget about Ward or GGG (if GGG carried his power up 8lbs and landed the shots Groves did, even someone as tough as Froch would surely go) as the only option if he comes back is a rematch. The least Groves deserves.

Milltown Row2

Paddy Barnes goes Pro I see
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

dillinger

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 15, 2013, 04:42:03 PM

Not according to Paddy on Twitter.

Syferus

Quote from: dillinger on December 15, 2013, 09:19:02 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 15, 2013, 04:42:03 PM

Not according to Paddy on Twitter.

Ah, sure what would he know about it!?

Good to see that Mike Perez's career is finally looking like it's in gear. If he generates a little buzz stateside and stays fit he'll walk his way to Ireland's first heavyweight WC.

BennyHarp

So Froch v Groves 2 signed for May 31st. Someone would need to get a hold of Froch and give him a bit of PR training for the build up because if tonight's Sky Sports news is anything to by he is going to make a c**k of himself over the next few months.

J OGorman

Quote from: BennyHarp on February 13, 2014, 08:29:10 PM
So Froch v Groves 2 signed for May 31st. Someone would need to get a hold of Froch and give him a bit of PR training for the build up because if tonight's Sky Sports news is anything to by he is going to make a c**k of himself over the next few months.

He would needy make some hallion of himself to be at groves level of cockness. Can't see groves landing another of those shots and froch to pummel him in 8 rounds before a knock out or stoppage. He's a different level altogether

BennyHarp

Quote from: J OGorman on February 13, 2014, 09:36:56 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on February 13, 2014, 08:29:10 PM

He would needy make some hallion of himself to be at groves level of cockness. Can't see groves landing another of those shots and froch to pummel him in 8 rounds before a knock out or stoppage. He's a different level altogether

True, I've always liked Froch but he really can't handle the media stuff with Groves and ends up making himself look a bit silly. Groves is a tw*t but he clearly gets under Froch's skin.