Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Feckitt

Did anyone see the semi final fight between Big Joe Ward and the Cuban World Champion.  Sorry I forget his name, but the Cuban guy was unbelievable.  I've never seen speed, movement, style or cockiness like it in all my life.  He was like a cross between Naseem Hamed and Apollo Creed.

JimStynes

Quote from: Feckitt on October 26, 2013, 09:05:51 AM
Did anyone see the semi final fight between Big Joe Ward and the Cuban World Champion.  Sorry I forget his name, but the Cuban guy was unbelievable.  I've never seen speed, movement, style or cockiness like it in all my life.  He was like a cross between Naseem Hamed and Apollo Creed.

Throw a link up there if u find one.

gallsman

Quote from: Feckitt on October 26, 2013, 09:05:51 AM

Julio La Cruz Peraza. Ward couldn't get close to him. Stunning performance.

Quigley fight will be interesting given he's up against a homer. Amateur boxing can be just as corrupt as it's pro brother.

Syferus

Quigley would probably have had to knock the head off the Kazah and it'd have probably still been a split descision. A silver medal at the Worlds is a serious achievement.

BennyHarp

There seemed to be a genuine dislike between George Groves and Carl Froch on Ringside tonight. Groves really seems to get under Froch's skin - should be interesting.
That was never a square ball!!

nrico2006

Quote from: BennyHarp on October 31, 2013, 09:38:09 PM
There seemed to be a genuine dislike between George Groves and Carl Froch on Ringside tonight. Groves really seems to get under Froch's skin - should be interesting.

Always liked Froch but the past few months he has been going on like every other boxing knob, especially towards Groves.  Would love to see Groves knock him out.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

JimStynes

It's all part of it. The trash talk is more entertaining than the fight itself sometimes. That's how they sell fights, Mayweather was sayin he loves playing the pantomime villain. More people buy the fight as they want to see him get knocked out. Groves does always seem to have a chip on his shoulder though.

BennyHarp

Quote from: JimStynes on November 01, 2013, 08:07:08 AM
It's all part of it. The trash talk is more entertaining than the fight itself sometimes. That's how they sell fights, Mayweather was sayin he loves playing the pantomime villain. More people buy the fight as they want to see him get knocked out. Groves does always seem to have a chip on his shoulder though.

I know it's all part of it, but there definately seemed like a lot of needle there and it looks like Groves really winds Froch up. I thought Groves game across like a bit of a twat to be honest.
That was never a square ball!!

nrico2006

Quote from: BennyHarp on November 01, 2013, 08:57:01 AM
Quote from: JimStynes on November 01, 2013, 08:07:08 AM

I know it's all part of it, but there definately seemed like a lot of needle there and it looks like Groves really winds Froch up. I thought Groves game across like a bit of a t**t to be honest.

Only saw the sky show this morning and Groves did look a tube in it, especially with his non stop glaring at Froch.  But I think this has been built up by the way Froch has been behaving with regard to him over the past few months with the comments on Groves sparring Kessler etc.  Was never as happy to see a fighter win as I was when Groves beat that slabber DeGale, would like to see him beat Froch too. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Club Rossa

Wouldn't be fond of Froch by any means but Groves comes across as a p***k.
I can't see anything other than a win for Froch,Groves isn't in that class yet.

Canalman

Absence of headgear may seriously  affect  amatuer Irish boxers in  future competitions. Was told  * many years ago that the "Irish" boxers in America would have won way more in the past  but that they "cut too easily" .  Leading with the head will I think result in way more cuts and disqualifications. Might suit the brawlers more than the technically better Irish boxers.

* Told in a pub.

Syferus

Quote from: Canalman on November 01, 2013, 12:05:25 PM
Absence of headgear may seriously  affect  amatuer Irish boxers in  future competitions. Was told  * many years ago that the "Irish" boxers in America would have won way more in the past  but that they "cut too easily" .  Leading with the head will I think result in way more cuts and disqualifications. Might suit the brawlers more than the technically better Irish boxers.

* Told in a pub.

Should suit fighters like Joe Ward well, heavy hands and if he lads clean he can cause some cuts of his own. Headgear is no help in terms of cushioning blows, it really is only there to stop cuts. Cuts are such a lottery that they could swing either way in any fight.

Tony Baloney

A story as old as boxing!

James Toney: Requiem for a Heavyweight
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/boxing/24955528

gallsman

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 15, 2013, 01:59:37 PM
A story as old as boxing!

James Toney: Requiem for a Heavyweight
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/boxing/24955528

What makes Toney so tragic is that he lost it all, got it all back and returned to the top and then lost it all again.

The Iceman

He is definitely still coherent, but his speech has really suffered. A legend amoung boxers. Sad to see his demise....
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight