Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

Any freebie streams for Froch v Kessler?

Could be fight of the year, while I want to see Froch win i was suprised to see so many people tipping him (non-English too).

Tony Baloney

Quote from: bennydorano on May 25, 2013, 08:53:13 PM
Any freebie streams for Froch v Kessler?

Could be fight of the year, while I want to see Froch win i was suprised to see so many people tipping him (non-English too).
Try thon...

http://www.firstrow1.eu/watch/188324/1/watch-mikkel-kessler-vs-carl-froch.html

Gabriel_Hurl

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/9323856/floyd-mayweather-jr-fight-canelo-alvarez-sept-14

QuoteThis time the fight that boxing fans want to see most got made.

Pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather Jr. and junior middleweight champion Saul "Canelo" Alvarez signed on Wednesday night to fight Sept. 14 in the main event of a Showtime pay-per-view event at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas in the biggest fight boxing has to offer.

"I chose my opponent for September 14th and it's Canelo Alvarez," Mayweather tweeted to break the news. "I'm giving the fans what they want."

Mayweather holds a world title at welterweight (147 pounds), but he also still owns a junior middleweight title (154), which he won by outpointing Miguel Cotto in May 2012. After that fight, Mayweather returned to welterweight and defended the title against Roberto Guerrero in a lopsided unanimous decision win on May 4 at the MGM Grand.

But he is moving back up in weight to face Alvarez (42-0-1, 30 KOs) with their belts on the line, although the fight will be contested at a catchweight of 152 pounds.

"It's a done deal and Floyd is very excited to give the fans what they want," Leonard Ellerbe, chief executive of Mayweather Promotions and one of Mayweather's closest advisers, told ESPN.com. "This is the fight they wanted and this is what they are getting. It's the biggest fight in all of boxing. It's the biggest fight Floyd can possibly make."

Added Golden Boy Promotions chief executive Richard Schaefer, Alvarez's promoter, who also has promoted Mayweather's past seven bouts on a fight-by-fight basis: "This is the big one, the only one. It's the one everyone wants to see."

Should be a great fight

bennydorano

Has Manny Pacquio quit? Was it rumoured he'd MS?

Syferus

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on May 30, 2013, 08:59:44 PM
http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/9323856/floyd-mayweather-jr-fight-canelo-alvarez-sept-14

QuoteThis time the fight that boxing fans want to see most got made.

Pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather Jr. and junior middleweight champion Saul "Canelo" Alvarez signed on Wednesday night to fight Sept. 14 in the main event of a Showtime pay-per-view event at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas in the biggest fight boxing has to offer.

"I chose my opponent for September 14th and it's Canelo Alvarez," Mayweather tweeted to break the news. "I'm giving the fans what they want."

Mayweather holds a world title at welterweight (147 pounds), but he also still owns a junior middleweight title (154), which he won by outpointing Miguel Cotto in May 2012. After that fight, Mayweather returned to welterweight and defended the title against Roberto Guerrero in a lopsided unanimous decision win on May 4 at the MGM Grand.

But he is moving back up in weight to face Alvarez (42-0-1, 30 KOs) with their belts on the line, although the fight will be contested at a catchweight of 152 pounds.

"It's a done deal and Floyd is very excited to give the fans what they want," Leonard Ellerbe, chief executive of Mayweather Promotions and one of Mayweather's closest advisers, told ESPN.com. "This is the fight they wanted and this is what they are getting. It's the biggest fight in all of boxing. It's the biggest fight Floyd can possibly make."

Added Golden Boy Promotions chief executive Richard Schaefer, Alvarez's promoter, who also has promoted Mayweather's past seven bouts on a fight-by-fight basis: "This is the big one, the only one. It's the one everyone wants to see."

Should be a great fight

The first line in that article made me burst out laughing.

Gabriel_Hurl

Among boxing fans - it is a fight they all wanted to see  ???

Syferus

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on May 30, 2013, 09:17:08 PM

I'm as much a boxing fan as anyone, thanks.

Pacman/Money is still the fight everyone beyond anoraks wants to see, the Money/Alvarez fight barely registers in comparison. That line is a wonderful piece of creative licence.

nrico2006

Quote from: Syferus on May 30, 2013, 11:29:46 PM

Pacman/Money is still the fight everyone beyond anoraks wants to see, the Money/Alvarez fight barely registers in comparison. That line is a wonderful piece of creative licence.

I don't think that Pacquaio and Mayweather is the fight anymore given Pacquaio's recent form.  Alvarez looks good but then again his record is beefed up with a lot of fillers.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

gallsman

Quote from: nrico2006 on May 31, 2013, 08:36:03 AM

I don't think that Pacquaio and Mayweather is the fight anymore given Pacquaio's recent form.  Alvarez looks good but then again his record is beefed up with a lot of fillers.

He's also fought 43 times by the age of 22 and has noticeably shifted up in class over the last few years. Factor in the size difference Mayweather will face on the night (Canelo will pack on the guts of a stone following the weigh-in) and it's the riskiest fight out there for Floyd to take at the minute. Pacquiao may still hold some interest, but it's a fight that should have happened three years ago and everyone knows it.

nrico2006

Quote from: gallsman on May 31, 2013, 12:12:49 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on May 31, 2013, 08:36:03 AM

He's also fought 43 times by the age of 22 and has noticeably shifted up in class over the last few years. Factor in the size difference Mayweather will face on the night (Canelo will pack on the guts of a stone following the weigh-in) and it's the riskiest fight out there for Floyd to take at the minute. Pacquiao may still hold some interest, but it's a fight that should have happened three years ago and everyone knows it.

Aye, it could still happen but wont have the same appeal.  Canelo will be big and strong and as you mentioned it is probably the riskiest fight out there for Mayweather, but in a way he knows he probably couldn't run from Canelo after running from Pacquaio as his legacy would take a serious hit, so better to face Canelo now as opposed to in his 50th fight when Mayweather will be older and obviously not as good with Canelo having improved in the intervening period.  Who will be the other four fights for Mayweather?  Will he get the 50-0?  I imagine that is what he is aiming for, get the 50-0 and retire, putting himself ahead of Marciano. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

CiKe

Sorry, but you're wrong. However, that isn't to say that I think this is a bigger fight than Pacman vs Mayweather would have been pre the KO loss to Marquez, because it isn't.

gallsman

Quote from: nrico2006 on May 31, 2013, 01:52:52 PM
Who will be the other four fights for Mayweather?

Dunno about the four, but I'd like to see him, weight permitting, round it out against Broner.

CiKe

Quote from: gallsman on May 31, 2013, 11:00:41 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on May 31, 2013, 01:52:52 PM
Who will be the other four fights for Mayweather?

Dunno about the four, but I'd like to see him, weight permitting, round it out against Broner.

At his weight now, unfortunately it isn't that interesting. If Pacquiao hangs around, he probably gets a shot, Marquez might get a rematch though personally wouldn't be too interested in seeing that. From just below, Matthysse might step up in weight or Danny Garcia, but i'd prefer Matthysse. Above him, possibly Trout at 154 if he comes back well from loss to Canelo. I'd imagine anything at middleweight is a step too far even for Floyd, but if he was to go there then Martinez or Golovkin would be interesting. Geale is a good boxer but would need to build up a bit more of a name before he would be considered i'd imagine.

I'd like to see Broner as well, though I'd like to see Broner vs Gamboa before he makes any step up in weight.

Let's see what Khan can do with Virgil Hunter. If he gets a few good wins, then would probably be entertaining - Khan is rarely in a boring fight. That said I think Mayweather would wipe the floor with him

All of a Sludden

Katie Taylor has won a fifth consecutive European title today.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

nrico2006

Is the Haye and Fury fight on Sky Box Office - how did that happen if Fury had the deal with CH5?  What is the craic with Boxnation and their payments.  Looking to get the Mayweather fight and wondering if you can pay a one off fee.