Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

What happened Rogie v Audrey?

Saffrongael

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 23, 2013, 10:07:49 PM
What happened Rogie v Audrey?
Harrison beat him easily, Rogan hardly threw a punch. Would say that is end of Rogans carreer.
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

bennydorano

It was a bit of an anti-climax. Lewison fighting like a fat Mike Tyson.

CiKe

David Price beaten in two. Didn't see that coming.

Atticus_Finch

This thread has been pretty quiet recently.

Lot of activity in the boxing world today.  A day which could see the beginning of the end for Frank Warren's boxing empire !

Ricky Burns, who was the biggest name out of Warren's stable of fighters, has joined former Warren fighter George Groves and also signed for Eddie Hearn's Matchroom promotions.   Ricky Burns is still viewed as being under contract by FW and the inevitable lawsuit was announced shortly after Burns' press conference with matchroom.

http://www.frankwarren.com/news/press-releases/2013/03/11/frank-warren-statement.html

Matchroom seem to be confident of Burns' success at court as they regard the situation as a carbon copy to the situation of Tony Bellew who also left Warren for Matchroom.  Warren sued Bellew and the Hearns for breach of contract but it was found that Bellew had terminated his contract legitimately.  Warren discontinued the case less than a week ago and as a result the Hearns are now in the process of trying to recover the legal costs.

Should Warren be unsuccesful in his litigation against Burns it could mark the end of his boxing promotional empire.  The only real big name that is left under his promotional banner is Nathan Cleverly and there has been a lot of speculation that he is also not happy under Warren.

The exodus from Warren promotions to Matchroom underlines how important Sky television exposure is to boxers.  Carl Froch has been involved in some massive fights over the last four years but it was only after his recent switch to Sky did he get the exposure necessary to give him the platform to be regarded as top ten, pound for pound fighter.  The recognition that he is now getting hasn't gone unnoticed by the fight fraternity.

The move by Hearn/Matchroom is quite an astute move as not only was it necessary if they wanted to be regarded as the premier promotional outfit in the UK but they now have geographical representation all over the UK and Ireland with Burns' having a vociferous fanbase in Scotland.

The missing piece in the matchroom jigsaw may come in the form of David Price.  When you cast your eyes over the matchroom boxing roster it only seems to be a stellar heavyweight is missing.  The Hearns are unlikely to want to have anything to do with a rocket like Tyson Fury so that leaves David Price.  Frank Maloney has had recent health problems and I think it only is a matter of time before Price leaves particularly when his career goes under a a rehabilitative period following his shock loss to Tony Thompson and exposure is very important.

The question remains would a Matchroom promotional monopoly on the top fighters be a good thing ?

In short, I believe it would. Boxing has long suffered from fragmentation, you only have to look at the array of belts under the vast range of sanctioning bodies to get an idea of the fragmentation that exists.  This is also reflected in television coverage.  Being a boxing fan is currently not cheap, not only do you have to have a sky sports subscription, a boxnation subscription and also pay one off fees for the bouts that appears on primetime.  A matchroom monopoly would hopefully at least confine boxing coverage to sky. 

But the main benefit could come in the form of the top fights being made rather than being talked about.  Matchroom seems to have a good relationship with the main promotional outfits across the globe.  Hopefully Matchroom fighter, Carl Frampton will be involved in some of those top fights for years to come.

In other news,  Curtis Woodhouse has become the first boxer that I know of to track down a 'keyboard warrior' .... always thought it was going to be Big Rogie !

http://www.joe.ie/sports/random-sports-stuff/boxer-takes-on-twitter-troll-in-truly-epic-fashion-0035296-1
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

BennyHarp

Tyson Fury is completely bonkers - good singer though!!  ;D His cousin looks half decent though not sure about the quality of his opponent!
That was never a square ball!!

nrico2006

Fury knows how to raise his profile, can't believe his singing.  Was an entertaining fight though, showed balls to attack instead of sitting back after the knock down. 

I see that Matthew Macklin has signed up to fight Gennady Golovkin.  Can't see anything but a KO win for GG.  Macklin isn't anything special either, I suppose he gets a bit of attention as he is someone that the Irish media like to class as one of their own. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Atticus_Finch

For anyone considering getting out boxnation tonight to see the Floyd Mayweather vs Roberto Guerrero fight you can save yourself a tenner by using the code BOXINGTV.

When first registering you get charged a tenner registration fee as well as your £10 a month subscription.  If you use the above code then you don't have to pay the registration fee.
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

JimStynes

Another masterclass by The Money Team

Minder

Quote from: JimStynes on May 05, 2013, 06:11:09 AM
Another masterclass by The Money Team

Apparently he got $32m for last nights fight.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

JimStynes

Mayweather promotions, he basically paid himself

gallsman

Quote from: JimStynes on May 05, 2013, 09:25:14 AM
Mayweather promotions, he basically paid himself

Nope - CBS, the parent of Showtime paid him. Great article on the Guardian the other day about the potential sums involved in his new deal.

nrico2006

Hopefully Mayweather fights Saul Alvarez next, that would be some fight.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Christmas Lights

Syferus

Quote from: nrico2006 on April 22, 2013, 09:30:47 AM
Fury knows how to raise his profile, can't believe his singing.  Was an entertaining fight though, showed balls to attack instead of sitting back after the knock down. 

I see that Matthew Macklin has signed up to fight Gennady Golovkin.  Can't see anything but a KO win for GG.  Macklin isn't anything special either, I suppose he gets a bit of attention as he is someone that the Irish media like to class as one of their own.

Macklin is pretty clearly in the top five-seven worldwide at his weight, one of the most competitive weights in the sport at that. He already has one world title win under his belt, whatever the German judges think. Less of the glib.