Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Think there might have been howls of anguish in the Mayweather household last night. Even if Manny can come back (which isn't guaranteed, can't imagine his wife would be too keen on it after seeing her reaction), he'd surely have to fight Marquez again and beat him convincingly (is that even possible for him now?) before thoughts of a Mayweather fight surfaced again. Even at that, it would be 3 or 4 years too late and surely wouldn't make the pair of them the money that had previously been quoted.

cadence

good to see marquez exorcise old ghosts. pacman won't retire, he'll go for the rematch and marquez will give it to him i think. thought marquez looked bulked up. dunno if it was roid assisted, but looked big in there compared to pacman.

Atticus_Finch

How many Mexicans does it take to knock out Pacquiao ???  Just the Juan !  ;D   ... Sorry i'll leave now

Some horrible predictions last night !

Disappointed with Magee, really thought that he was going to put it up to Kessler.  Was happy with his start, his movement alone looked like it was going to cause Kessler trouble and he was landing often enough.  Watched the fight in the bar as soon as i opened my mouth to say he had started well he was caught with that frontal body shot and that was that! He did his best to muster come back from that but he was done.  Hopefully Magee gets a few more fights before he hangs up the gloves, a good honest pro who has never got the recognition locally that he has deserved IMO.

Even more disappointed with O'Kane,  I couldn't get to watch that fight, only saw brief highlights but it just looked like Ryder was the slicker boxer.  O'Kane won the prizefighter tournament partly on account of being a bit wild and raw, partial to throwing haymakers.  That's fine in a tournament when short windows (three x 3 minute rounds) are the name of the game but in longer bouts you are going to be made pay if you don't pay the necessary detail to your defence.  Don't know where Eamon goes from here, a win against Ryder would have paved the way for domestic title fights. 

Agree with gallsman,  I think a Pacquiao vs Mayweather fight has lost a large part of its marketability.  Due to Pacquiao's recent performances it definitely isn't the fight it once was.

The main barrier to a fight happening previously was Pacquiao's refusal to undergo certain drug testing and also the promoters involved were not the best of pals. Pacquiao agreed recently to undergo any of the drug testing that Mayweather asked of him in order to make the fight happen.  On the subject of drug testing, and following on from Cadence's point I would be interested to know what drug testing Marquez under went before and after the fight.

Not only did the fight last night confirm a bad run of form for Pacquiao but it also brought to an end what has been a horrible year for Freddie Roach.  With the exception of Chavez Jnr beating Andy Lee, I don't think he has won a fight with one of the stars of his stable this year ?  His condition isn't getting any better and I wonder how much longer he will go on for.
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

Captain Obvious

Pacquiao vs Mayweather would have been one of biggest fights ever not anymore. Any chance of another Mayweather vs. Marquez fight?

charlieTully

mate who is bigtime into the boxing sent me a text advicing to stick some coin on marquez to win by stoppage, stuck a tenner on at 8/1. happy days. he also adviced fury on points last week but in my folly i ignored that. he writes columes for online boxing sites. will post up any future tips.

The Iceman

Manny was winning the fight and the round and had him hurt and got careless sliding in with the punch.
He will be back without a doubt
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

gallsman

Quote from: The Iceman on December 10, 2012, 01:03:32 AM
Manny was winning the fight and the round and had him hurt and got careless sliding in with the punch.
He will be back without a doubt

All true but a knockout like that can dramatically change the course of a career and completely change a fighter. Pacquiao has never been hit with a shot like that. Pacquiao's style has always been based around powerful, whirlwind attacks where, sometimes throwing caution to the wind as he knew he had his opponent's number. Will be interesting to see if he changes and goes for something a bit more cautious having been rocked like that.

heganboy

No shortage of innuendo in the press about Marquez. The change in physique at 39 and the power increase seem to be the main talking points, and of course his new trainer. Or is it just that Manny is not able to ship the punishment any more?
Hell of a fight, certainly not one for the purist, but some scrap...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

bennydorano

Impressive stuff from Khan, an old fashioned hiding.

CiKe

Quote from: bennydorano on December 16, 2012, 08:24:29 AM
Impressive stuff from Khan, an old fashioned hiding.

Against a nobody who was a powder puff puncher stepping up in weight, chosen because they reckoned there was no way he could knock Khan out. I understand the rationale for it, but while Khan is a very good boxer - and certainly his fights are exciting - he's just not at the elite level and will always be at risk against those with KO power.

bennydorano

I knew that was going to be the reaction, he gets very little credit. It was impressive against a creditable opponent he's hardly going to go looking a real top drawer opponent after 2 ko's in a row.

CiKe

how was he a creditable opponent? they didn't even pick someone from his own weight class.

From fightsaga.com:

"He is ranked No. 68 by BoxRec in the jr weltwerweight division and only No. 15 in the United States in the same weight class. So according to BoxRec, there are 14 other Americans in the same weight class who are more accomplished."

Clearly he wasn't going to be put in against a top-ranked opponent as they look to rebuild his confidence, but he shouldn't get a lot of credit for beating someone who was someone who was chosen because he offered no threat

Syferus

Kahn was impressive but it told us absolutely nothing. Looked very much the same Kahn we've always known, and even despite Hunter's constant shouting he got caught dropping his guard a few times. Someone that wasn't a glorified super-featherweight who couldn't touch him without lunging in would have rocked him the same as always.

Maybe Hunter can fix his defence but his glass jaw will always be there and combined with his tendency towards showboating and getting drawn into scraps it's a toxic mix against quality fighters or anyone with power. His fights make great viewing because of that danger but I wouldn't buy into anything at all been shown or proven last night.

nrico2006

Why was Jason Quigley not at the Olympics?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

ludermor

Quote from: nrico2006 on December 19, 2012, 01:11:27 PM
Why was Jason Quigley not at the Olympics?
He didnt qualify...