Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dillinger

I know McCluskey is good but he will never win a World title.

He's deemed to fight for secondary titles.

Milltown Row2

Just back from the fights, McCloskey, as said here already would need to keep his gloves up the odd time. Was a strange fight with a bitta mouthing going on between themselves. Dudey won the fight, marginally I think but I think he will do well to get a shot at a title and win it.

Frampton was outstanding, never give your man a second, terrorised him form the the start and was very cool and focused throughout. Was an enjoyable fight and he's maybe two fights away from a world title shot I'd say. Don't think the ref should have stopped it but Carl had won every round easy up to the stoppage.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

JimStynes

Quote from: dillinger on September 22, 2012, 11:34:41 PM
I know McCluskey is good but he will never win a World title.

He's deemed to fight for secondary titles.

Likeable fella and by all accounts a real down to earth lad but he's nowhere good enough to fight for World titles. European level is his level imo.

Hoof Hearted

Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

heganboy

Some fight last weekend, Chavez Jr nearly did a rocky. 8/9 rounds down with 2 to go, warmed up in the 11th, and laid him out in the 12th, but Martinez hung on.
You gotta love Freddie Roach though, honesty is a Breath of fresh air in trainers...

Then the dumbass failed a dope test for marijuana, boxers never learn.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

DuffleKing

heganboy

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Atticus_Finch

A rematch between Paul McCloskey and Amir Khan set for the 8th or 15th of December in Manchester is very close to being confirmed.

Khan is very keen on having a fight before christmas. He has just appointed Virgil Hunter (Andre Ward's coach during the super six) as his new coach after his ultimatum to Freddie Roach of "Drop Pacquiao and Chavez Jr and I will stay with you"  ???  ???  ??? surprisingly failed  ;D

Sometimes a bad performance can open doors just as much as a good performance can.

Think back to Macklin's poor performance against Ruben Varon - Felix Sturm watched that and thought he had nothing to fear in giving Macklin a world tile shot.

I think likewise Khan has been paying attention to McCloskey's recent performance and feels that he has nothing to fear in agreeing to the rematch that he said would never happen.

Hopefully the match is made and hopefully Khan come mid- December will regret that decision.

"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

Atticus_Finch

Hatton's comeback opponent has been announced - Vyacheslav Senchenko

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/boxing/19756446

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Atticus_Finch on September 28, 2012, 04:57:08 PM
Hatton's comeback opponent has been announced - Vyacheslav Senchenko

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/boxing/19756446

What would be Frampton's best route to a title fight Atticus?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Atticus_Finch

The four belt holders in Frampton's division are:

Nonito Donaire
Toshiaki Nishioka
Rigondeaux
Abner Mares

If I was involved with Frampton's camp, I would be targeting Mares who is holding the WBC belt.

He has a fight in November and even if the belt changes hands i'd still be going after that.  I would be avoiding the other three for as long as possible.  I know next to nothing about the Japanese guy but I reckon anyone is going to have a tricky away day if they want his belt. The other two belt holders are class acts.

In terms of how to get that shot he definitely isn't a million miles away.  He has a big domestic fight in the form of Scott Quigg which has to happen sooner or later.

If he comes through that I would put him in against an aging Rafael Marquez.

Then he would have the sufficient platform and ring experience for a shot at whoever was the WBC belt holder.

CiKe

Quote from: Atticus_Finch on September 28, 2012, 06:02:37 PM
The four belt holders in Frampton's division are:

Nonito Donaire
Toshiaki Nishioka
Rigondeaux
Abner Mares

If I was Frampton's advisers I would be targeting Mares who is holding the WBC belt.

He has a fight in November and even if the belt changes hands i'd still be going after that.  I would be avoiding the other three for as long as possible.  I know next to nothing about the Japanese guy but I reckon anyone is going to have a tricky away day if they want his belt. The other two belt holders are class acts.

In terms of how to get that shot he definitely isn't a million miles away.  He has a big domestic fight in the form of Scott Quigg which has to happen sooner or later.

If he comes through that I would put him in against an aging Rafael Marquez.

Then he would have the sufficient platform and ring experience for a shot at whoever was the WBC belt holder.

Rigondeaux is one of the best amateurs ever and think beat Ricardo Cordoba (remember his fight against B. Dunne?) in his 7th fight. And of course he fairly walloped "Big Bang" Casey. Donaire is considered highly P4P and is very powerful.

Mares won a tournament in including Vic Darchinyan, Agbeko and Yohnny Perez and is tough as nails.

Not seen much of Frampton but he'd need to be a serious operator to be stepping in the ring with any of them. Likewise haven't a clue about the Japanese guy.

Atticus_Finch

I was away from Belfast and didn't make the fight. Heard nothing about any trouble though. I think Milltown Row and Fuzzman made the fight so maybe they can confirm otherwise.

Khan confirmed his next opponent as Carlos Molina for December.

McCloskey and Khan were in talks, khan's camp contacted McCloskey's people and from what I understand a deal was close but obviously hasn't materialised.

CiKe

Quote from: Atticus_Finch on September 29, 2012, 11:22:19 AM
I was away from Belfast and didn't make the fight. Heard nothing about any trouble though. I think Milltown Row and Fuzzman made the fight so maybe they can confirm otherwise.

Khan confirmed his next opponent as Carlos Molina for December.

McCloskey and Khan were in talks, khan's camp contacted McCloskey's people and from what I understand a deal was close but obviously hasn't materialised.

ah balls, that is a pity. Not sure McCloskey would have won but stoppage was a joke. Never heard of Molina.

Gold

Quote from: hardstation on September 29, 2012, 12:25:44 AM
No word on hear about the 'riot' in the Odyssey last week?

I know a boy who does the bar and according to him it's the worst he's seen in his 5 years working there. Said they closed all the bars for an hour. Women carried out on stretchers etc.

Heard was between Frampton's crowd and Divis ones and happened about 8pm--well before fight

I was at Rogan/Fury fight and the fighting was nuts--travellers bloodied all over the place--was like bein on a movie set. Not a safe spot, full of hoods off their heads, i'll not be back
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."