Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bridgegael

Khan really is found wanting at this level.  Hyped up to the eyeballs, fair play to his managemen team for getting him this far, bullshit sells.  American public have now seen him beat twice in a row, could be it for him over there.
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Wildweasel74

hes  a good enough fighter but hasnt the chin to take a big hit, and even less know to hold for grim death after getting hit

CornerBackNo2

I hope there is a rematch with Paul McCloskey, and hopefully Dudey can finish Khan's career!

screenmachine

If Khan's off top level then Dudey is another ten mile off that.  Destroyed by a journey man last day out, you can't afford to fight with your hands down and not expect to get caught at that level, which is still some distance from the top level Khan has been fighting at. 

McCloskey has fought like that his whole career and he probably won't change now, he only needs caught once and its game over, and he will get caught at that level, you can be sure of that!

In reality, Khan is probably just above European level, on the bottom rung of the world level with a glass jaw that has been exposed time and time again.  McCloskey is European level I think and he'll struggle to get above that both with his ability and the fights that are available to him.  I'd love to be proved wrong by McCloskey all the same, can't say the same for Khan all the same...  ;)
I'm gonna punch you in the ovary, that's what I'm gonna do. A straight shot. Right to the babymaker.

Christmas Lights

Quote from: CornerBackNo2 on July 15, 2012, 08:03:28 PM
I hope there is a rematch with Paul McCloskey, and hopefully Dudey can finish Khan's career!

This is laughable, Dudey had his chance and is just about European standard, he never layed a glove on Khan for 6 rounds  ;D

Khan was well in contention after 2 rounds that fight and probably winning the third until he got tagged, he has a weak punch resistance but at least his fights are entertaining.

Dudey got schooled by a journey man Marcus DeCorley so there is no chance he will get a rematch with AK unless they decide to build Kahn back up with a couple of domestic high profile fights that he will easily win.

Mikhail Prokhorov

Quote from: Christmas Lights on July 15, 2012, 10:11:00 PM

This is laughable, Dudey had his chance and is just about European standard, he never layed a glove on Khan for 6 rounds  ;D

Khan was well in contention after 2 rounds that fight and probably winning the third until he got tagged, he has a weak punch resistance but at least his fights are entertaining.

Dudey got schooled by a journey man Marcus DeCorley so there is no chance he will get a rematch with AK unless they decide to build Kahn back up with a couple of domestic high profile fights that he will easily win.

this whole post is a christmas joke, are the lights still on in your dome??????

Marcus DeCorley ffs  ::)

gallsman

Quote from: Mikhail Prokhorov on July 15, 2012, 10:32:20 PM

Other than messing up the name, everything he said is absolutely correct. Where's the joke?

screenexile

Khan really does himself no favours does he??

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/boxing/18852698

QuoteBut Khan responded: "Carl's always got his little things to say and I'll leave it to that really. If he wants to retire he can retire.

"I'm in a tougher division, I'm fighting better opposition and I'm a bigger name than him. That's what burns him really.

Yeah for some reason I don't think Froch is too worried about what Khan has to say about him!!

J OGorman

Quote from: gallsman on July 16, 2012, 07:44:30 AM

Other than messing up the name, everything he said is absolutely correct. Where's the joke?

in your opinion. My opinion is Dudey would have battered him in the 2nd half of the fight. Hope he gets another rattle at Khan

Christmas Lights

Quote from: J OGorman on July 16, 2012, 09:59:09 AM
Quote from: gallsman on July 16, 2012, 07:44:30 AM

in your opinion. My opinion is Dudey would have battered him in the 2nd half of the fight. Hope he gets another rattle at Khan

Apologies for messing up the name first time round.

People really need to take off the Irish tinted glasses when referring to the Dudey-Khan fight.  If people think that Dudey was comfortable through the first six rounds then Khan must have been even more-so. 
Unfortunately Dudey doesn't have the natural power to trouble any of the fighters at world level.  He would be lucky to last a round against someone like Garcia who would walk right through his punches, a bit like he did with Khan. 
What Dudey does have is good feetwork and is hard to hit but his guard is shocking and as said, he doesn't have the power to keep the top fighters at bay.  He may get a rematch with Khan but again this would only be to build Khan's name back up.  Id expect Khan to stop him if they met again.

People calling for Khan to retire is premature in my opinion.  He does need a lot of improvements as when he gets hit, his gameplan goes out the window, he needs to learn to cover up and survive.  I also think he needs to leave Freddie Roach who seems to prioritise other fighters over Khan and has him trotting all over the globe to train with other fighers.  I dont think his management is good for him either, his dad and that entourage seem like total pricks.  I think he would be better looking for new management and a new trainer.

The punch that done the damage was sort of on the ear and neck if you look at it in slow mo, must have really fooked up his balance  :o

Evil Genius

Quote from: Christmas Lights on July 16, 2012, 10:22:12 AM

People calling for Khan to retire is premature in my opinion.  He does need a lot of improvements as when he gets hit, his gameplan goes out the window, he needs to learn to cover up and survive. 

It has been evident ever since he fought Breidis Prescott that Khan has got a "Glass Chin" i.e. when he ships a big shot, his brain scrambles and he's remains defenceless until either the bell goes or the Referee intervenes.
No amount of "improvement" or "cover up" will prevent him getting hit at least occasionally from when he meets top-class fighters, which means that for all his undoubted other skills etc, he can never be counted a top-class fighter himself.

The punch that done the damage was sort of on the ear and neck if you look at it in slow mo, must have really fooked up his balance  :o
Prescott's punches were nowhere near his ear or neck:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shUqYIkMXu0
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

nrico2006

Quote from: screenexile on July 16, 2012, 09:14:23 AM
Khan really does himself no favours does he??

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/boxing/18852698

QuoteBut Khan responded: "Carl's always got his little things to say and I'll leave it to that really. If he wants to retire he can retire.

"I'm in a tougher division, I'm fighting better opposition and I'm a bigger name than him. That's what burns him really.

Yeah for some reason I don't think Froch is too worried about what Khan has to say about him!!

Just after reading that on BBC, and thats one of the main reasons why I can't stand Khan.  It was the same with the papers on Saturday, he was slabbering about how he was going to fight Mayweather next.  How has he fought better opposition than Froch?  Balls.  As for it being a tougher division, I would also disagree.  Look at the wins Khan has had the past few years since Prescott, and they have been against over-rated power punchers (Malignaggi, Salita etc) or flukey technical decisions (MAB & McCloskey), although I agree McCloskey probably wouldn't have troubled him had the fight went on.  I hope he doesn't get a rematch because he is the one fighter who never seems to give anyone a rematch when circumstances call for it, and in the Garcia fight it was hardly a contentious points win so why would or should Garcia bother.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

screenmachine

Yeah, I agree with EG.  All this talk about Khan boxing well and if he boxes smarter he can beat the better fighters.  He's going to get caught at least once throughout a fight and if he can't take those shots, a heavy handed fighter will leave him on his ass every time.

As for his comments towards Froch, he's only a bigger name because he is, or at least was, the darling of the English media.  Now that he's starting to get found out the Americans will drop him like a hot potato and when he's crawling around looking to fight lesser fighters or previous opponents, he'll soon realise he's not as hot a property as he would like to think.

I agree about his management, they all seem like gold digging and arrogant characters - a bit like Khan himself actually.  The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

On McCloskey, he doesn't have the power to batter anyone at that level.  He's great at not getting hit but as he's normally standing with his hands at his side it only takes one wrong move to get emptied, just like it happened in his last fight, although he was caught repeatedly if memory serves me right.

I was never as happy to hear Garcia's father at the press conference afterwards saying they wouldn't consider a rematch as they are moving onto bigger and better things.  Just like Khan had said at the McCloskey press conference afterwards, for all McCloskey's lack of impact in the early stages of that fight, it was a farcical decision to stop it and he probably deserved another crack at the time.
I'm gonna punch you in the ovary, that's what I'm gonna do. A straight shot. Right to the babymaker.

Christmas Lights

Quote from: Evil Genius on July 16, 2012, 10:39:41 AM

People calling for Khan to retire is premature in my opinion.  He does need a lot of improvements as when he gets hit, his gameplan goes out the window, he needs to learn to cover up and survive. 

It has been evident ever since he fought Breidis Prescott that Khan has got a "Glass Chin" i.e. when he ships a big shot, his brain scrambles and he's remains defenceless until either the bell goes or the Referee intervenes.
No amount of "improvement" or "cover up" will prevent him getting hit at least occasionally from when he meets top-class fighters, which means that for all his undoubted other skills etc, he can never be counted a top-class fighter himself.

Prescott's punches were nowhere near his ear or neck:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shUqYIkMXu0

Glass Chin & a Glass neck then!!!

screenexile

Quote from: screenmachine on July 16, 2012, 11:06:06 AM
Yeah, I agree with EG.  All this talk about Khan boxing well and if he boxes smarter he can beat the better fighters.  He's going to get caught at least once throughout a fight and if he can't take those shots, a heavy handed fighter will leave him on his ass every time.

As for his comments towards Froch, he's only a bigger name because he is, or at least was, the darling of the English media.  Now that he's starting to get found out the Americans will drop him like a hot potato and when he's crawling around looking to fight lesser fighters or previous opponents, he'll soon realise he's not as hot a property as he would like to think.

I agree about his management, they all seem like gold digging and arrogant characters - a bit like Khan himself actually.  The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

On McCloskey, he doesn't have the power to batter anyone at that level.  He's great at not getting hit but as he's normally standing with his hands at his side it only takes one wrong move to get emptied, just like it happened in his last fight, although he was caught repeatedly if memory serves me right.

I was never as happy to hear Garcia's father at the press conference afterwards saying they wouldn't consider a rematch as they are moving onto bigger and better things.  Just like Khan had said at the McCloskey press conference afterwards, for all McCloskey's lack of impact in the early stages of that fight, it was a farcical decision to stop it and he probably deserved another crack at the time.

I may have to go take a shower after this but I agree with all of that!!

Amir's situation is reminding me of something similar that happened a few years back. Olympic Champion, Brtish, aspirations of a World Title, glass chin  . . . Oh that's right!