Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Capt Pat on April 20, 2012, 06:26:16 PM
Tommy McCarthy just got beaten. Barnes got beaten by another Turk. No need to say any more about that.

5 is not a bad effort but to be going to the olympics without our best male olympian is not good. Ward will probably turn pro now.

The Turks have sudenly turned into boxing magicians during this tournament. I believe not one of them even reached the quarter-finals in any weight-class in Baku last year during that qualifying tournament. Funny that.

Cosmo Kramer

There is still one place left for a European boxer at Ward's weight - it's meant to be a wild card for developing nations but apparently nobody qualifies under the criteria. In that case the rules suggest that the highest ranked unqualified boxer should get the place...which would be Ward.

So we're not quite at 'let us be number 33' stage yet, he may well end up going to London.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

Cosmo Kramer

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on April 20, 2012, 08:12:13 PM
Tommy McCarthy just got beaten. Barnes got beaten by another Turk. No need to say any more about that.

The Turks have sudenly turned into boxing magicians during this tournament. I believe not one of them even reached the quarter-finals in any weight-class in Baku last year during that qualifying tournament. Funny that.

Not one qualifier up to now and 5 of their 10 competitors have made the final of this tournament. You basically had to knock them flat out to beat them this week (as a Russian boxer actually managed to do). Shoe will be on the other foot in London though. I doubt they'll get one medal.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

ONeill

That Piers Morgan/Bruno interview was hard viewing at times. On at the minute.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: ONeill on April 20, 2012, 09:47:34 PM
Was watching bits of it. What exactly is wrong with Frank?

Minder

Quote from: ONeill on April 20, 2012, 09:47:34 PM

I find anything with Piers Morgan hard viewing.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

ONeill

Some kind of bi-polarishness.

nrico2006

Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on April 20, 2012, 09:29:19 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on April 20, 2012, 08:12:13 PM

Not one qualifier up to now and 5 of their 10 competitors have made the final of this tournament. You basically had to knock them flat out to beat them this week (as a Russian boxer actually managed to do). Shoe will be on the other foot in London though. I doubt they'll get one medal.

I don't understand how this is still allowed to go on though, surely the fact that this competition is linked to the Olympics means that there should be realistic grounds for appeal.  I am sure that all the fights are recorded and therefore its not too hard to launch an appeal when you have video evidence behind you.  I heard that Ward landed something in the teens with regaard to scoring punches in final round while the Turk landed a handful, yet the scoring didn't reflect this or get anywhere near it.  Paddy Barnes is always good for a laugh and he was at least prepared for losing the final fight unless he knocked the fella out, he seemed pretty happy with his performance after as he said he was holding the Turk up so he could batter him some more, and apparently the Turk even appeared embarassed when given the decision.  Joe Brolly wrote a good article on the joke that is amateur boxing:

http://www.derryjournal.com/community/columnists/brolly-s-bites-olympic-boxing-stick-it-where-the-sun-don-t-shine-1-3777726
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

johnneycool

Quote from: Candyman on April 15, 2012, 03:52:02 AM
Lads, do not kid yourselves!! It was a COMPLETE set-up and very badly done!! The ref was allowing him to continue with 2seconds on the clock, when a guy from his corner ran in and stopped it!! And just to clarify, I was told to back Fury in the 5th round at about 4pm!!!!! Half of Armagh had the bet on, I had 17/2 with Paddy Power!! Boxing today is in a state because of this, but even on that note I won't be returning my winnings!! ;-)

Heard there was more boxing in the stands than there was in the ring at the Rogie fight. Not much about it in the press AFAIK.

A few ambulances required from all accounts. Anyone at it?

Mikhail Prokhorov

anyone think chop chop might trouble dudey tonight, tricky customer whos been in with some top quality opponents

ONeill

McCloskey found out tonight. That was coming a long time.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: ONeill on May 06, 2012, 12:01:28 AM
Controversial stoppage according to reports?

screenmachine

If the ref hadn't have jumped in and gave him that ten seconds to recover he would have been cleaned out. You can't stand with your hands down at that level, it only takes one slap. Long way back now for Dudey.
I'm gonna punch you in the ovary, that's what I'm gonna do. A straight shot. Right to the babymaker.

DownFanatic

Dudey courageous tnite but ultimately struggled near the end.

JimStynes

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 06, 2012, 12:05:58 AM
Quote from: ONeill on May 06, 2012, 12:01:28 AM
Controversial stoppage according to reports?

Totally agree, fair play to him for doing so well though