Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

They were saying the Turkish fighter landed 2 scoring punches in the final round but was still awarded 6 points somehow.

Declan

The appeal Joe Ward lodged after his controversial defeat to Bahran Muzaffer has proven unsuccessful. Such an outcome was always likely. Boxing results are rarely overturned.

Tony Baloney

Boxing administration is a pretty dirty business and it's generally the boxers and the general publoc that get taken to the cleaners.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Orangemac

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on April 16, 2012, 08:35:22 PM
They were saying the Turkish fighter landed 2 scoring punches in the final round but was still awarded 6 points somehow.
Were the judges Turkish? Surely there must be a fairer way of deciding Olympic qualification?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: ONeill on April 16, 2012, 10:21:25 PM
Rogie lets rip - http://youtu.be/llYgkej_1Fs

Pissed off me thinks? I couldn't make out what he said, though he said fcuk a few times :o
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

SLIGONIAN

Can someone answer me as to why our boxers left until now to get qualification for the olympics? Was there only a once off tournament in turkey to qualify only 3/4 months until games,,,, doesnt make sense to me.  Boxing is unbelievably corrupt though, pissed off myself hearing this.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Milltown Row2

No they had chances before this, lost out in other qualifiers
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 16, 2012, 10:34:38 PM
Quote from: ONeill on April 16, 2012, 10:21:25 PM
Rogie lets rip - http://youtu.be/llYgkej_1Fs

Pissed off me thinks? I couldn't make out what he said, though he said fcuk a few times :o
;D He told Hennessey not to come back to "f**king Belfast"!

Tony Baloney

Paddy Barnes qualified for London. Takes the Nordies  ;)

From the Bunker

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 18, 2012, 07:02:15 PM
Paddy Barnes qualified for London. Takes the Nordies  ;)

Brilliant, as it was looking glum for 'us' :P

Declan

Another good yella bellie!!

Adam Nolan from Enniscorthy, Co Wexford, has qualified for the London Olympics.
The pugilist, who boxes out of Bray, defeated Romanian Ionut Gheorghe 19-10 in the 69kg welterweight semi-finals at the AIBA European Olympic Qualifying tournament in Trabzon, Turkey, to reach the Olympics.
The Irishman won every round on a scoreline of 7/5 8/3 4/2 to secure the win, rarely looking like he was in serious danger.
He goes on to contest the tournament's final.
Later today, Paddy Barnes will attempt to reach the tournament's 49kg flyweight final when he fights Ferhat Pehlivan at approximately 5pm. Barnes has already secured his Olympic berth.
At 7pm, Tommy McCarthy will attempt to win his 91kg heavyweight semi-final. If McCarthy wins that semi-final, and the final, he also reaches the Olympics

Capt Pat

Tommy McCarthy just got beaten. Barnes got beaten by another Turk. No need to say any more about that.

5 is not a bad effort but to be going to the olympics without our best male olympian is not good. Ward will probably turn pro now.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Capt Pat on April 20, 2012, 06:26:16 PM
Tommy McCarthy just got beaten. Barnes got beaten by another Turk. No need to say any more about that.

5 is not a bad effort but to be going to the olympics without our best male olympian is not good. Ward will probably turn pro now.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/flame-not-gone-out-for-ward-yet-191082.html

Pity about Ward, has France-Ireland World Cup feel about it now. Hope some miracle happens. But as with all these things it's the can of worms you open. You can bet there are more hard luck cases, there always are.