Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Square Ball

Quote from: Armaghgeddon on December 18, 2011, 02:37:08 AM
Expecting Ward to knock Froch out by end of 5th.

Not the worst fight I have ever seen
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Armaghgeddon

Quote from: Square Ball on December 18, 2011, 02:53:39 AM

Ward was expected to out box him. Froch is getting desperate....throwing some very careless punches.
The biased commentary pisses me off so much.

RealSpiritof98

But jebus it was nowhere near the best either, bad year for the brits, ward will dominate that div for years now, its just he needs a worthy rival to make the big bucks

AZOffaly

Just watched Frazier v Ali in Manila last night, and Foreman v Ali in Zaire. Fecking hell Boxing was great back then. Ali had some speed in his hands. Foreman was like a lad trying to swing from the arse and knock a wall, while Frazier was just walking forward, forward, forward. Fierce brave, but not the best plan :D

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: RealSpiritof98 on December 18, 2011, 10:37:04 AM

But jebus it was nowhere near the best either, bad year for the brits, ward will dominate that div for years now, its just he needs a worthy rival to make the big bucks

Have to say out of all the British fighters knocking about world level at the moment Froch is the easiest to admire. A true warrior who makes the most of his talents and he wasn't afraid to admit he got beaten by the better fighter. Didn't make any excuses. As opposed to Amir Khan who has been on one long whinge fest every since the Petersen fight. His sour mug has been stinking up Sky's boxing coverage for the past week. Less said about Davie Haye the better.

CiKe

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on December 20, 2011, 03:39:53 PM
Quote from: RealSpiritof98 on December 18, 2011, 10:37:04 AM

Have to say out of all the British fighters knocking about world level at the moment Froch is the easiest to admire. A true warrior who makes the most of his talents and he wasn't afraid to admit he got beaten by the better fighter. Didn't make any excuses. As opposed to Amir Khan who has been on one long whinge fest every since the Petersen fight. His sour mug has been stinking up Sky's boxing coverage for the past week. Less said about Davie Haye the better.

Couldn't agree more, could easily find yourself cheering for Froch but Khan is pain in the hole and not eve close to being as good as he thinks he is (mind you I did think he won the fight, but wasn't a clear cut robbery).

Archie Mitchell

Mayweather sentenced to 90 days in jail. Starts on 6th January

http://www1.skysports.com/boxing/news/12183/7390913/Mayweather-sentenced-to-jail

No pacman fight in May 5th then.

Atticus_Finch

I'm glad to see it Archie now the whole uncertainty about whether Mayweather would go to jail or not is gone and the proper negotations can begin.  There is talk of a possible fight in June.  I think a bit of incarceration will motivate the Mayweather camp to want the fight a bit more.

Makers of 24/7 are bound to be licking their lips makes for a fascinating pre-fight build up - congressman vs the jailbird.

galwaybayboy - would completely echo your post about carl froch.  Still I was a bit disappointed by his showing against Ward.  i think i read too much into both fighters bout against Kessler.  On the one hand i thought Froch hadn't done himself justice against Kessler - the task was a difficult enough one at the outset with Froch having to travel to Kessler's backyard but that was compounded by the whole ash cloud flight debacle and i thought the whole uncertainty in the run up to the fight had fed through to his performance.  Whereas with Ward i thought that his use of the head against Kessler had contributed to the comfortable nature of his victory and that he wouldn't get away with it against Froch.  I was wrong.  Ward is just a better, faster fighter and up there with the best counter punchers in the game.  When he faces Bute I can only see one winner.
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

omagh_gael

Denn Forever

Things may turn out well for Amir.

Amir Khan has accused an unidentified man of "interfering" with officials and the judges' scorecards during his defeat by Lamont Peterson.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/boxing/16435696.stm
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Archie Mitchell

The Khan thing is a strange one. He's still a ball bag though. He dismissed McCloskey's call for a rematch straight away in another dubious fight and not wants justice in this one.

I see Mayweather has got his prison sentence delayed to start of June so he can fulfil his contract obligations of fighting on 5th May. Lets hope its Pacquiao.

BennyHarp

Much as I do agree that Khan is a ball bag. That footage of the fella in the hat at ringside interfering with the judges does make the whole thing look very dodgy indeed. Also at one point as the fight is going on, none of the judges are actually looking at the action as this bloke is talking to them.
That was never a square ball!!

haveaharp

Quote from: BennyHarp on January 07, 2012, 10:10:03 AM
Much as I do agree that Khan is a ball bag. That footage of the fella in the hat at ringside interfering with the judges does make the whole thing look very dodgy indeed. Also at one point as the fight is going on, none of the judges are actually looking at the action as this bloke is talking to them.

I know nothing about boxing but i was under the impression the reason they looked down was because there are tv monitors in front of them ?

screenmachine

Mayweather will be fighting Canelo Alvarez in June if reports are to believed. A 39-0 tough Mexican but still not the fight everyone wants to see!
I'm gonna punch you in the ovary, that's what I'm gonna do. A straight shot. Right to the babymaker.

BennyHarp

Quote from: haveaharp on January 07, 2012, 10:25:22 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on January 07, 2012, 10:10:03 AM

I know nothing about boxing but i was under the impression the reason they looked down was because there are tv monitors in front of them ?

Fair enough, but if they watch the whole match on monitors, why do they need to be at ringside where there is the potential of interference.
That was never a square ball!!