Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bridgegael

its funny watchin him and his crew callin for a rematch after the way they behaved after mccloskey fight.
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Atticus_Finch

I'm not going to lie, I thoroughly enjoyed that fight. 

In the end up the points deductions swung a fight that was in the balance - but i don't think that should take anything away from Lamont Peterson's performance.  He dug deep and overall he landed the big eye catching blows.

Khan has been getting away with elbows, holding and pushing for years.  It was nice to see him get his comeuppance for a change.  I think the deductions for the pushes was slightly harsh but when you don't look at them in isolation and also take into account the constant holding of arms, suppressing of Peterson's heads and occasional leads with the elbows ... then i don't think Khan has any grounds for complaints.

He completely overlooked Peterson coming into the fight and there was more pre-fight talk about him moving up a weight and fighting the likes of Mayweather than there was about Peterson.

Fair play to Khan for fighting Peterson in his backyard but if he wants to be considered along with the elite of boxing than that shouldn't have proved much of an obstacle for him. 

If Khan had fought the right fight - he would have won and during the first couple of rounds I thought that the fight would go as expected.  Khan's speed just seemed to overwhelm Peterson.  When i'd heard that Peterson had put on a stone between the weigh in and the fight there was always going to be a chance that it would backfire.  The body has to adapt to taking on that much weight in short a space of time and could make you sluggish.  But Peterson seemed to find his feet in the third round and the weight advantage ultimately paid off as although in terms of volume of punches landed Peterson wasn't going to overheat and blow the compubox system .... the punches he did land had a bit of venom in them and were crucially eye catching.

I was surprised how often and easily Khan was caught with the uppercut.  If the rematch goes ahead you'd imagine that will be the first port of call that Roach will go to work on.

Credit to Khan for his punch resistance, he shipped some heavy hits and although he employed a few cute manoeuvres to try keep him out of danger during those moments that danger was approaching, I don't think he was ever going to get stopped.

Very interesting to see where he goes from here - does he still go ahead with the move to welterweight or not.

This was Khan's first fight back on sky and at one stage this year I thought Khan and Sky would never reforge a working relationship.  Luckily for Khan,  UK boxing coverage is as fragmented as the sanctioning bodies that govern it.  If you want to follow boxing properly  and fully - you'll need to have a sky sports subscription, a box nation subscription and pay for the primetime pay per view shows.

Therefore those three different groups are going to be vying for any high profile fight that comes there way - Khan's return to Sky has a lot to do with the emergence of box nation rather than Sky needing him.  Now that he has lost on his return - it'll be interesting to see if that relationship is maintained, a lot of it will have to do with box nation's chances of success (that's a post for another day).

I'll finish with this - Khan once again showed himself to be a classless p***k in the aftermath of the fight - how he has ended up on the nominees for sports personality of the year is an absolute disgrace, i don't know what he has done to merit it.  He's lucky that Peterson seems a lot more magnanimous in victory than Khan was when he defeated Paul McCloskey after a controversial techincal decision.

I feel sorry for Carl Froch who surely deserves to be the boxing representative on that list for SPOTY - unfortunately for Froch, Ward's injury mean't that the fight was moved from October to next weekend.  If Froch had fought and won in October then he'd be on that list and a worthy presence on that list.  He's never been molly coddled in his career, he's in a tough division and has never shied away from anyone ... also he seems to be a down to earth bloke.
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

The Claw

Quote from: Captain Obvious on December 11, 2011, 07:09:08 AM
Quote from: The Claw on December 11, 2011, 06:04:40 AM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on December 11, 2011, 05:25:58 AM
Quote from: The Claw on December 11, 2011, 05:17:29 AM
Kahn is such a d1ck. Blaming the ref and the fact that it was in DC. Can't face that he lost the fight fair and square. This is why he hasn't been the draw he could have been over the last while.

He took that defeat well, simply not as good as he think's he is.
How did he take the defeat well? He said it was like fighting two people in the ring and that he was the "clean fighter". Blamed Peterson for coming in with his head. Never once admitted that he was outfought.

I need to work on my sarcasm.
Sorry mate, was a little sleep deprived!!

lawnseed

Quote from: bridgegael on December 11, 2011, 11:42:10 AM
its funny watchin him and his crew callin for a rematch after the way they behaved after mccloskey fight.
theres always someone waiting in the long grass ;)
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Atticus_Finch

Just out of curiosity has anyone signed up for boxnation or would they be tempted to ?

I was away on a stag the weekend of the Cotto vs Margarito fight, otherwise I say I would have.  But then as i missed that i've looked at the upcoming fights and there is nothing that is drawing me in to subscribe now.  With the exception of Froch vs Ward fight (on sky)  the next big bout I can think of is Martinez vs Macklin next March.

From what i've seen of it during the free period i think it's worth it at a tenner a month - always enjoy Steve Bunce's boxing shows.

I would have doubts about it's long term viability and this will really depend on the fights that it covers over the next two years.

Apparently they need 100,000 subscribers to get to the break even point.  I think this could prove to be a tall order at the end of the day the channel isn't going to appeal to the casual boxing fan.

Even the readership of boxing news and boxing monthly combined doesn't total 100,00 so they have their work cut out trying to get to the 100,000 number in terms of subscribers.

Simon Green is the chief executive of the channel and he's the same guy behind the failed subscription service that was Setanta.  You'd imagine he has learned a thing or two from that experience and i know that Frank Warren is the main shareholder in the whole thing and that will obviously help them get a few big fights next year but there's no way that Primetime, Sky and Boxnation can survive.  Out of the three of them i wouldn't be surprised to see Primetime go.
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

nrico2006

Glad to see Khan lose at the weekend - I doubt many in the game would have much sympathy for him regarding his tactic as he has always gained illegal advantages through the use of his wings and scone as McCloskey and MAB to name but a few would agree.  About time a referee made the right calls.  Its his own fault to not have the guile to adapt and not make the same mistake a second time after being initially punished in the 7th, he should have known the level of strictness that the referee was at and not made the same mistake again.  Still love the way he is harping on about fighting PBF, which by Khans timeframe will be when PBF is about 37 and more than likely on the slide.  I have a sneaky suspicion that he will maybe change his stance on fighting Pacman too after his previous outing - in another year or two if Pacman is still fighting Khan will try and get him when he is on the wane too.  On another note, I never noticed the size of Khans ears until the after fight press conference at the weekend, unbelievable lugs on the man.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Denn Forever

Froch was scathing about Khan's trying to say "it was all the ref's fault" but now he is worried about the Ref in his bout against Ward.

So Khan was right?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Oak Leafer

Lads,

Off topic from the Khan fight but did anyone see 'The fight of their lives'. Was on ITV 4 last night, think it was a repeat.

Gerald McClellan should never have been in ring with that clown training him!

Was brutal fight too...some massive hits!

Groucho

Ali v Frazer ESPN Classic at the moment
I like to see the fairways more narrow, then everyone would have to play from the rough, not just me

tintin25

What is the story with Paul McCloskey these days?  Seems like his promotions team can't attract the big names, which I'm not surprised that tbh.

CiKe

Thought Khan won 7 rounds to 5, points deductions debatable but so was the knockdown. On the one hand delighted to see him badly exposed, on the other hand would have like to see PBF humiliate him and cut him to pieces. There is nothing particular fast or slick about Peterson yet he landed 39% of his punches. Either he timed him brilliantly or Khan's defence is jsut sh*t - I know which one I believe it is.

STREET FIGHTER

Anyone any links to the Froch fight??

Armaghgeddon

Expecting Ward to knock Froch out by end of 5th.