Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CiKe

Quote from: nrico2006 on October 04, 2011, 03:37:08 PM
Barnes, Moylette and Ward would have been 3 of the best hopes too.  I would imagine they will still male the Olympics though.

Good to see Andy Lee beating Vera at the weekend.  Must be due a tilt at a title now.

what title? needs to fight better names than Vera before can look for decent title shot. I'd like him to fight someone like Darren Barker, but guess not great risk reward

Capt Pat

Barnes, Moylette and Ward would have been 3 of the best hopes too.  I would imagine they will still male the Olympics though.
Good to see Andy Lee beating Vera at the weekend.  Must be due a tilt at a title now.
Apparently our best fighters didn't get through while our lower ranked fighters did which could be a good thing. They will likely get through at the next qualifying event giving us more boxers at the olympics. Some of those beaten in the last 16 might still get through if their opponent they lost out to makes the final.

nrico2006

Quote from: CiKe on October 04, 2011, 10:47:41 PM

what title? needs to fight better names than Vera before can look for decent title shot. I'd like him to fight someone like Darren Barker, but guess not great risk reward

Barker and Macklin both got title shots pretty handily.  At the end of the day he is due a title shot, he has been beating everything that had been put in front of him and is ranked number 2 by the WBA and number 6 by the WBC.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

nrico2006

Cleverly Bellew on Sky 456 this weekend as is the Hopkins fight and another.  Channel is free until Christmas.  Hope Cleverly knocks him out, been a fan of his since his amateur days when he was one of the only fighters I had watched who regularly knocked opponents out.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

the Deel Rover

Quote from: nrico2006 on October 14, 2011, 01:42:42 PM
Cleverly Bellew on Sky 456 this weekend as is the Hopkins fight and another.  Channel is free until Christmas.  Hope Cleverly knocks him out, been a fan of his since his amateur days when he was one of the only fighters I had watched who regularly knocked opponents out.

great stuff nrico thanks for that
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Boycey

Anyone else watch the Hopkins fight? Bizarre to say the least...

bridgegael

how did it go boycey?
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

screenexile

Boycey

Quote from: bridgegael on October 16, 2011, 11:23:27 AM
how did it go boycey?

It didn't really.. I was hoping someone else might explain it better  :). After a round and half of sizing each other up Dawson ducked under Hopkins as he came forward and dumped him on the floor with a throw. It looked innocuous enough but Hopkins said he couldn't continue, replays suggest he may have hurt his shoulder. Anyway after 10 mins of mayhem the decision is announced and the assumption is that it'll be a no contest but the ref declared Dawson the winner by tko ruling there was no foul. Cue more mayhem

gallsman

Quote from: Boycey on October 16, 2011, 12:06:08 PM
how did it go boycey?

It didn't really.. I was hoping someone else might explain it better  :). After a round and half of sizing each other up Dawson ducked under Hopkins as he came forward and dumped him on the floor with a throw. It looked innocuous enough but Hopkins said he couldn't continue, replays suggest he may have hurt his shoulder. Anyway after 10 mins of mayhem the decision is announced and the assumption is that it'll be a no contest but the ref declared Dawson the winner by tko ruling there was no foul. Cue more mayhem

Have my suspicions about how hurt Hopkins actually was but there's no way on earth the ref can say it wasn't a foul. Sam Warburton would have been proud!

Christmas Lights

Quote from: gallsman on October 16, 2011, 01:11:47 PM
how did it go boycey?

Have my suspicions about how hurt Hopkins actually was but there's no way on earth the ref can say it wasn't a foul. Sam Warburton would have been proud!

What do you mean about how hurt Hopkins was?  He landed on his elbow, thus probably popping his shoulder joint out.  The replay clearly shows that.

Muzz

Quote from: Christmas Lights on October 16, 2011, 08:50:50 PM
Quote from: gallsman on October 16, 2011, 01:11:47 PM
how did it go boycey?

What do you mean about how hurt Hopkins was?  He landed on his elbow, thus probably popping his shoulder joint out.  The replay clearly shows that.

It wouldnt be the first time that Hopkins used something like this to gain some rest.  Granted in the 2nd you would hardly think he needed it.  Regardless of the injury being real or not fact remains the decision to award the fight to Dawson on TKO was bollox.

nrico2006

Serious amount of Doctors on here.  Any kind of akward fall can cause a fracture, ligament damage or a break to the arm, shoulder or collar bone.  It is not something that is very apparent when it happpens.  Why would he have wanted to quit anyway?  He is not one for ducking opponents and the first round was hardly evidence of anything special to come from Dawson.  Joke of a decision. 

Muzz

Don't think anyone is claiming to be a doctor.  General opinion is how hurt Hopkins actually was?  Regardless of the injury or not we all agree that the decision was completely wrong.

Muzz

WBC has returned the title to Hopkins.  Might be more to come by the sounds of it...

QuoteBernard Hopkins has been restored as the WBC light-heavyweight champion after his controversial defeat by Chad Dawson at the weekend was overturned.

The veteran American claimed he could not continue after hurting his shoulder when he was lifted off his feet and dumped on the canvas by Dawson.

The referee stopped the fight and gave Dawson the win on a technical knockout.

However, after a review, the WBC changed the result to a technical draw, allowing Hopkins to keep his title.

Hopkins, who suffered a dislocation of the joint connecting his left shoulder and collarbone, was furious with referee Pat Russell's decision in Los Angeles and after the fight the 46-year-old filed a formal complaint to the California boxing authorities.

In a statement, WBC president Jose Sulaiman said the WBC "respects and cannot intervene in the decisions of the boxing commissions where the fights happen, but it does intervene in regards of the recognition of a WBC title of the world".

The WBC found that Dawson broke the rule barring "any rough tactics other than clean punches" and since the incident occurred before the fifth round, the result should have been a technical draw, rather than a technical decision based on scorecards.

Sulaiman said the WBC hoped California's boxing governing body "will review our ruling at their meeting in December".

That is when the seven-member California panel is expected to make its own ruling on Hopkins' appeal and determine whether the fight will count as a loss on his record.

Hopkins believes he should have won the fight by Dawson's disqualification.

In May, Hopkins became the oldest fighter to win a boxing world championship when he defeated Jean Pascal, eclipsing the record held by George Foreman, who regained the world heavyweight title at 45.