Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

It was the first fight I ever attended in the flesh and it was thoroughly enjoyable. I thought there would be more of a crowd there though in fairness as there was quite a bit of empty space in the Odyssey.

Having said that the crowd that were there made serious noise and it was a very enjoyable atmosphere.

I enjoyed the fight and thought it was a good scrap, my gut feeling was that Dudey had earned a draw but wasn't overly surprised by the final result. I had no idea how much of an effect the crowd has on a fight like that. Every time Dudey swung and missed even you thought he'd taken your mans head off by the crowd reaction yet Prescott hit some real dingers and there would barely be a word from the crowd. No matter how good or impartial a judge is there is not way that couldn't sway them.

Anyway good luck to Dudey whoever he fights next. This fight has made me think twice about the Khan fight and I believe he would have come strong towards the end of that fight had he got the chance. Hopefully we'll find out but I can't see Khan coming down in weight for him!

STREET FIGHTER

Just watched the fight again.

Opinion hasn't changed.

McCloskey edged it against Prescott who is one tough nut.

Dudey is a hardy buck- Took some slaps but also threw some. 

Gold

Where can you watch the fight again if you havent sky+'d it?
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

STREET FIGHTER

Quote from: Gold on September 12, 2011, 08:35:58 PM

You can watch it on U tube- excellent quality.

Atticus_Finch

On saturday night Paul McCloskey had the toughest fight of his career and has had the best possible preparation he could have possibly had if he is going to stand any chance of coming out on top should he face, as planned, Marcos Maidana in his next fight.

In terms of what the correct decision was, if I was completely honest I think it boiled down to how you scored the 5th round.  In my eyes you could have quite easily called it in Prescott's favour, in Dudey's favour or a draw.  I'm biased so I will err on the side of caution and give that round to Prescott. If he did get that round then overall I would have awarded the fight in Prescott's favour.

However, i don't think that would have been the fair result - the knockdown in the first was not legitimate and while you have to take it into account when scoring the fight ... it would have been harsh on McCloskey, who had to dig deeper than he has ever had to in his whole career, if he had left the Odyssey empty handed.  The fair result would have been a draw but I don't think you could say Mccloskey left the Odyssey with a Dick Turpin mask and a swag bag but I will say that the judge who scored it in McCloskey's favour by two rounds was wrong ... plain and simple.

He's got the rub of the green on this occasion and after what happened in Manchester I don't think a lot of people will begrudge him a bit of luck on this occasion.  At the same time, I admire Prescott for the way he conducted himself and i feel sorry for him because at the same time he didn't deserve to lose. I thank him, because if Dudey is to ever get a world title it will be as a result of the lessons he learned on Saturday night.

Was i disappointed about Saturday night ? The answer to that is yes and no in equal measure.

I was disappointed by the way McCloskey started the fight, i'd say since the Lauri fight he's started to get a reputation for a slow starter.  Not only did he take until the 4th round until he got out of the blocks but he seemed to leave his best quality as a fighter at home in Dungiven.  That quality is his elusiveness, Khan as fast as he is struggled to really tag McCloskey but Prescott was enjoying open season in the first three rounds and peppering him, left, right and centre with solid shots.

I think the crowd got caught up in the atmosphere and didn't appreciate how much in trouble Dudey was in those early stages.  I was texting lads back home to ask them how it was looking on the box and they confirmed my worst fears .... it was looking like a cross between Sonia from eastenders and Fizz from Coronation Street ... it really wasn't pretty.

The fourth round was a relief to me and i harboured a bit of hope but then came the sixth and i genuinely couldn't watch at a stage because he was taking some damage and i thought it was only a matter of time before he would go down and unlike the first round this knockdown would be the real mccoy and i wouldn't have had a great deal of confidence that McCloskey would surface.  But then from somewhere McCloskey mustered energy and started to find his feet and not only that but as expected Prescott started to slow and that only spurred McCloskey on.  Before the fight it was this section of the fight that i hoped McCloskey would capitalise and come out on top, with the way Prescott struggled to make weight I was hoping McCloskey would make more hay than he did but bearing in mind the punishment he shipped (particularly in that sixth round) I don't know how he summoned the strength and energy to finish the fight in the manner he did,  he was out on his feet at the very end of the fight and could bearly stand up on the ropes to salute the fans that may well have got him the benefit of the doubt. And for that reason i am delighted with him, he did what he had to do to turn things around, whether he did enough will be questioned and deservedly questioned by many but you can't fault his heart or his chin. Come the final curtain, I was hoping and praying that Dudey got the benefit of the doubt but would not have been surprised by the announcement of a draw or a Prescott win.

If Maidana comes up next he is going to have to up his game considerably and he would say that himself.  I think Maidana will have no fears from watching that fight and the bout is a very distinct possibility.  In terms of where it would be, I know Maidana was prepared to come to Belfast before he opted to fight Guerrero (fight ended up falling through due to Guerrero sustaining a shoulder injury ) but you would imagine that he would have second thoughts about coming to Belfast and fearing a 'home decision' after Saturday night  ... Overall, I believe that his lack of fear of McCloskey would outweigh his fear of coming to Belfast should he be offered an attractive purse ... we will have to wait and see.

Odyssey could have been more packed than it was on Saturday night and Eddie Hearn recognised that they had made a mistake on the pricing structure ... your average boxing fan in Belfast just won't shell out on £75-£100 tickets to watch a fight, especially when you have an attractive undercard fight falling through late in the day.

Briefly want to mention Carl Frampton, fair play to him he was looking sharp and i would love to see him go on to bigger things.  I missed the 4th round as i had to head out and get tickets to a few friends and just at the moment i came back the referee was waving it all over. He'll know that he'll have bigger tests to come but he has plenty of time in which to take those tests.  Seems like a level headed fella and comes across well from what i've seen of him so far.

What was even more disappointed by was that i missed the Eamon O'kane fight, by all accounts he was in scintillating form - once again people will say it's easy to look good against weak opposition but Rea is a tough enough cookie and you can only beat who is in put in front of you.

McCloskey knows there is a lot of work to do after this, even if he finds his renowned elusiveness - his overall game is going to have to be better if and when he faces Marcos Maidana.  Maidana won't slow and tire like Prescott did on Saturday night.
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

Muzz

What fight fell through Atticus?  "Dee" Taggart didnt get fighting and another fight I cant remember the name now.  I thought they may have put them on after the McCloskey fight but the crowd cleared so I headed off too.

King Kane fought well.  Rea was definitely a tough cookie.  Took good punishment.  Threw some big shots himself but Eamon looked the classier boxer and was always going to win.

Frampton looked good too.  Was able to get through on Quon once he sussed him out. Quon was the right type of fighter for Frampton stood there infront of him and let Frampton hit him.  Kiko wont stand there infront of him.

Atticus_Finch

Frampton vs Martinez ... it fell through as Martinez's father was ill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhroweFwf-I

Think Hearn says there that attendance was 6,100 -  from 9.10

Muzz

Ah right apologies thought you meant there was a fight on the night that had fell through.

J OGorman

Quote from: Gold on September 12, 2011, 08:35:58 PM

Sky go has it if you have activated your Sky Go logon sir

Atticus_Finch

Looks like rogie has been noticing he's getting a bit of flak on boxing forums recently.  I probably come under the category of "keyboard warrior" that "abuse people and know nothing about boxing" in Rogie's eyes. I'd say i'm just a boxing fan with an opinion, liike to express it from time to time and would like to think I'd normally have evidence to support it.

But here is Mr. Rogan having his say:

http://www.irish-boxing.com/2011/09/iron-man-hits-out-at-keyboard-wariors/

"I want to use this belt to entice the big names and the Klitschko's to fight me"    ::)  ::)

Atticus_Finch

Looks like the Rogie "world title" bout is off.

British boxing board of control won't recognise the WBU, so no fight in Belfast.

Been told that the boxing union of Ireland are also unlikely to recognise so looks like no WBU fight for Rogie.  Boxing union of Ireland not recognising it is a bit harsh on Rogie considering they sanctioned the recent Henry Coyle WBF fight.

I'd say here is what will happen - Tyson Fury fights this weekend, it would be a shock if he doesn't come through, they'll offer Rogan a fight, this time round he'll take it.

STREET FIGHTER

I see David Haye hasn't learnt anything from his last lesson

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,12183_7177972,00.html

screenexile

Is Mayweater Ortiz on Sky tomorrow night and if so will we have to pay for the privilege?!

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: screenexile on September 16, 2011, 10:47:27 AM
Is Mayweater Ortiz on Sky tomorrow night and if so will we have to pay for the privilege?!

I refuse to pay for any Mayweater fight now unless its against Manny.  Its about time boxing gives us the fights people want.  Four World titles at every weight level and boxers avoiding each other its no wonder boxing isn't as popular as it used to be.

Atticus_Finch

Quote from: screenexile on September 16, 2011, 10:47:27 AM

It's on Primetime Screenexile, you know the people that broadcast the Dudey vs Khan fight - think it's Sky channel 480.

You should be able to get a decent stream though.