Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bridgegael

great result for paul,  this will give him a title fight which he no douibt will win.  amir cant hide from him for too long
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Gold

Farsical decision.

I'd  money  on Prescott and am ragin. I'm sure Prescott is disgusted.

MCCloskey doesnt do it for me, he's a boring fighter who lacks power, he has no muscle--even when he was 'on top' he hardly touched Prescott. I want to like PAul as he's from here but any time i've seen him he hasnt impressed me. Against Khan although he was hard done by he'd done f**k all offensively and was a waste of pay per view money.

A blindman could see it was a Hometown decision tonight. PRescott defo took the last round. Fair enough he slowed in 2nd half of fight but he won that fight comfortably

Paul was gutsy in that he didnt crumble after the first few nightmare rounds but that doesnt mean that he won that fight.

Farce
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

4father

13aside

yeah was at the fight and was sure Paul had lost by at least a round ,scored well with his right at times but was in real trouble a couple of times also-not convinced on this outing

Gold

Cant believe more aren't talking about this decision.

I'd money on Prescott to knock McCloskey out so had no real interest in who won on points as my bet was already busted.

But i cannot believe that McCloskey was adjudged by all three judges to have won that fight!

J OGorman

So you lost a best Gold, get over it. Im sure Dudey felt alot worse after the farce that was the Khan fight.

As regards Sat, was a home town decision for sure. I've watched it again. I had it a draw on the night and again after watching the replay. A rematch would have been the ticket. Prescott defo deserves another crack and a rematch against the likes of Prescott would bring Dudey on a bit and show if (if he was to win) that he has a real chance of winning a world title (which I think he has)

Dudey started so badly, as did Khan, Dudey survived with his granite chin, Khan was floored. It takes some bravery and heart to come back and win the 2nd half of a fight in which you've been battered in the first half. As for Gold calling McCloskey a 'boring fighter'..sweet jesus, he is the complete opposite of a boring fighter (If you watched the Klitschko fight after, now theres a boring fighter, robotic)....dont bet against the Irish and you wont be left as bitter and twisted as you are  ;)

STREET FIGHTER

Quote from: J OGorman on September 12, 2011, 10:37:35 AM
So you lost a best Gold, get over it. Im sure Dudey felt alot worse after the farce that was the Khan fight.

As regards Sat, was a home town decision for sure. I've watched it again. I had it a draw on the night and again after watching the replay. A rematch would have been the ticket. Prescott defo deserves another crack and a rematch against the likes of Prescott would bring Dudey on a bit and show if (if he was to win) that he has a real chance of winning a world title (which I think he has)

Dudey started so badly, as did Khan, Dudey survived with his granite chin, Khan was floored. It takes some bravery and heart to come back and win the 2nd half of a fight in which you've been battered in the first half. As for Gold calling McCloskey a 'boring fighter'..sweet jesus, he is the complete opposite of a boring fighter (If you watched the Klitschko fight after, now theres a boring fighter, robotic)....dont bet against the Irish and you wont be left as bitter and twisted as you are  ;)

Fair enough analysis.

McCloskey looked dead and buried up until the 6th round.

The man has some heart to turn it around the way he did. 

He has to be congratsulated for that.

Bigger and better things ahead hopefully.

Milltown Row2

I'm with Gold with regards to the way the fight went, now we can all be happy that an Irish man won the fight but in the way he won it he'll not be happy. The other lad won it in my eyes, but I've yet to hear a certain posters view on the fight.

He is well versed on boxing, and his views are very informative

I backed him to win in the 10 round :(
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Muzz

First fight I ever went too.  Defintely a lot different than watching it on telly.  I had Prescott winning Round 1 and possibly the last.  3 rounds with his 10 - 8 in the first. I had McCloskey willing 4 in the middle round 7 - 11 (one I had a draw).  That was on the night.

I watched the fight again last night on the telly.  Id definitely have given Prescott 1,2 and maybe 3.  After that I thought it was even until McCloskey got hit in the 7th and stared at him.  Watching the 12th again last night I thought McCloskey could have shaded that.

Taking Judges that had it 114 - 113 if McCloskey won the last 5 rounds it would mean that Prescott won 3 rounds (10 - 8 round too) leaving 4 rounds even.

I dont think it is that unreasonable.  Then again im not a massive boxing fan and could be talking through my ass.

If anything I was far more impressed with Prescott trying to box rather than trying to knock his man out in the first few rounds.  He looked more comfortable at Saturday nights weight than he did versus Mitchell.

Abble

I wonder if Dudey will offer up the rematch, that Prescott (and the world) probably thinks he should get ? in much the same way as mccloskey thought it fair to ask for a rematch with khan ?

J OGorman

Quote from: Abble on September 12, 2011, 01:00:10 PM
I wonder if Dudey will offer up the rematch, that Prescott (and the world) probably thinks he should get ? in much the same way as mccloskey thought it fair to ask for a rematch with khan ?

The fight finished, Dudey threw more punches and landed more punches. The knockdown wasnt a knockdown.The Italian /French/English judges all seen it this way. The Khan fixed fight was completely different

for the record, I still think the fight ended a draw and that Prescott should get another crack...boxing is tough enough

The way he came back into it in the 2nd half of the fight was one of the best nights in Irish sport Ive seen in a long time. But, the begrudging tubes coming on here whining about Dudey's win is, well, typical of the Irish psychy..put the hooer in his place!  ::)

Gold

Quote from: J OGorman on September 12, 2011, 10:37:35 AM

Re Boring fighter --fair enough you're right in that he did come back into the fight very well having looked out on his feet --he didnt crumple as many lesser men would have and fought like a trojan to the end. The reason i said boring is that he never looks like he's gonna bury an opponent with one punch--that's just my take on his boxing style

As for betting against an irishman--i wouldnt usually and am always delighted when one of our own does well --just felt at this weight Prescott would have the power (with his obvious height/weight/muscular advantage) to knock him out and thought it was money in the bank--i should've given Paul's chin more credit and wont make the same mistake again

Re Bitter/Twisted --wise up --as i said once Paul wasnt knocked out my bet was gone anyway--just felt Prescott did enough to win and was astounded that all 3 judges saw it differently --but what do i know!

Whether it's against my/in favour of my own team or not i like to see fair play in sport and games/fights called correctly --whether it's Kildare being robbed 2 years in a row or a fight called wrongly --i hate to see it and thought at the time Prescott was robbed. From seeing the punch totals since the fight fair play to Paul for upping the punches in last few rounds, some workrate but it was difficult to ascertain his workrate on first viewing due to his lack of power and given the marks on Paul's face compared to Prescotts

ludermor

So if your not part of the 'Dudey' fanclub you are a begrudger!!!!
Even a blind man would have to admit he was very very lucky to get that decision and if Mcclouskey was on the other side of the fight his fanclub here would be up in arms.

Abble

Quote from: J OGorman on September 12, 2011, 01:15:56 PM
Quote from: Abble on September 12, 2011, 01:00:10 PM

The fight finished, Dudey threw more punches and landed more punches. The knockdown wasnt a knockdown.The Italian /French/English judges all seen it this way. The Khan fixed fight was completely different

for the record, I still think the fight ended a draw and that Prescott should get another crack...boxing is tough enough

The way he came back into it in the 2nd half of the fight was one of the best nights in Irish sport Ive seen in a long time. But, the begrudging tubes coming on here whining about Dudey's win is, well, typical of the Irish psychy..put the hooer in his place!  ::)

you're basically saying then that those who are not congratulating him today and who are not either related to paul, a fan or from his neck of woods is a begruding tube ?

where's the honour in this kind of farcical decision ?!

dont get me wrong, i love great irish sporting moments as much as the next man but there's better to be had than saturday nights victory for Paul, he deserves better than this.

HiMucker

Quote from: Muzz on September 12, 2011, 12:05:16 PM
First fight I ever went too.  Defintely a lot different than watching it on telly.  I had Prescott winning Round 1 and possibly the last.  3 rounds with his 10 - 8 in the first. I had McCloskey willing 4 in the middle round 7 - 11 (one I had a draw).  That was on the night.

I watched the fight again last night on the telly.  Id definitely have given Prescott 1,2 and maybe 3.  After that I thought it was even until McCloskey got hit in the 7th and stared at him.  Watching the 12th again last night I thought McCloskey could have shaded that.

Taking Judges that had it 114 - 113 if McCloskey won the last 5 rounds it would mean that Prescott won 3 rounds (10 - 8 round too) leaving 4 rounds even.

I dont think it is that unreasonable.  Then again im not a massive boxing fan and could be talking through my ass.

If anything I was far more impressed with Prescott trying to box rather than trying to knock his man out in the first few rounds.  He looked more comfortable at Saturday nights weight than he did versus Mitchell.
This is the most accurate summary of what happened.  You couldnt have blamed the judges for scoring it either way or a draw.  A one point decision isnt anywhere near as controversial as some people are claiming