Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hurler on the Bitch

I hope that they dont throw some hasbeen / neverwas in against Carl to save the bill. PMcC is damaged goods ie world title contender so the promoters are clutching at straws - Frampton v Martinez was the attraction... :-[

nrico2006

Bellew v Cleverley looks like it is going to happen.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Atticus_Finch

Quote from: Hurler on the Bitch on August 31, 2011, 10:54:59 PM
I hope that they dont throw some hasbeen / neverwas in against Carl to save the bill. PMcC is damaged goods ie world title contender so the promoters are clutching at straws - Frampton v Martinez was the attraction... :-[

???

The promoters are clutcing at straws ??  :D  i've been sitting here for a few minutes trying to digest that comment and i'm still baffled ... help me out here ...

Are you saying that because McCloskey no longer has an unblemished record, that no one is interested in watching him ?  That's a ridiculous comment. No other Irish boxer has a following like Paul McCloskey.

McCloskey vs Prescott taken purely from a promotional point of view is a fight that is easy to sell - He's fighting the only guy that's beat Khan.

Yes, Frampton vs martinez or frampton vs Casey both had the makings of great fights but the bill isn't going to collapse because Frampton is now fighting the not well known Australian champion Mark Quon for the commonwealth superbantam weight title.

I see Fury got his opponent for the 17th - Nicolai Firtha - now that's a hard sell.  Almost wish it wasn't on channel 5 - i don't think it's going to be a great advertisement for boxing being back on terrestial tv.

Only fight worth watching on the 17th is Mayweather vs Ortiz, nobody does pre-fight build up shows like HBO and their 24/7 series.

Mayweather vs Ortiz (24/7) - Episode 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtJHdSfY8sM

Mayweather vs Ortiz (24/7) - Episode 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjEM0GiTUJM

Surprised De La Hoya is promoting this fight, with Ortiz being 'damaged goods' and all that, losing to Maidana  ;)  Now when i think about it i don't even want to see Mayweather vs Pacquiao anymore - I mean Pacquiao's lost three times and drawn twice, who would ever want to see those two in a ring  ;)  ;)
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

Muzz

Rogan got a shot at a World title...granted its the WBU but in Belfast too.

whiskeysteve

Lewis Andreas Pineda of Panama.

Atticus Finch assures me the WBU belt is widely respected as it was once held by George Foreman.
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

HiMucker

Lads is there plenty of time to go to championship games on the saturday and get up to belfast for the action.  Looking forward te both

Atticus_Finch

I said nothing of the sort Whiskey and you know it ... The words Alphabet Soup come to mind. The sanctioning organization might have got a bit of good press as a result of the Mickey Ward film but it still doesn't change anything.

The last proper belt Foreman won was when he beat Michael Moorer.

Good stuff Hi Mucker, you about for a few pre and post fight jars.

I've got a pair of tickets for the bout if anyone is interested - trying to get rid of them for a friend. He's just looking face value (£88) if anyone is interested, PM me.  Thanks.

HiMucker

I will surely, but i wont have my dancing shoes with me!

whiskeysteve

Quote from: Atticus_Finch on September 05, 2011, 03:37:46 PM
I said nothing of the sort Whiskey and you know it ... The words Alphabet Soup come to mind.

So if its only an alphabet title whats all this craic about Foreman being 'so proud of it, he put his name on it'
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

Atticus_Finch

You're getting mixed up with his grill !

He was so proud of that, he put his name to it.

Great piece of kit it is too, earned him more money than his boxing career ever did.

whiskeysteve

Quote from: Atticus_Finch on September 05, 2011, 04:22:44 PM
You're getting mixed up with his grill !   ::)

He was so proud of that, he put his name to it.

Great piece of kit it is too, earned him more money than his boxing career ever did.

caught me some fresh fish for mah george formby grill

Minder

Is the fella fighting Rogan a mug ?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Pat Mustard

Is McCloskey on the box?

Atticus_Finch

Quote from: Minder on September 05, 2011, 04:38:38 PM
Is the fella fighting Rogan a mug ?

He's ranked 197 in the world by box rec (BTW Rogan is ranked 102 with them). Think that says what the title is worth.

Yes - McCloskey fight is on Sky Sports. Not sure of the channel.