Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Iceman

Quote from: muppet on August 16, 2011, 02:55:13 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 13, 2011, 12:12:35 AM
Quote from: spuds on August 12, 2011, 11:16:18 PM
Coyle won, Cotena had a cut above his right eye after a clash of heads in the 6th. Cotena had enough at that stage and used the cut to quit. Coyle by far the better boxer.

Why the f**k they let that eejit Michael Ring into the ring only God knows, crowing on about Sam coming home in september. Just when most people keeping a lid on all the hype along comes Mr. Westport soccer

It was a bit cringeworthy to be honest, a simple handshake like Kenny was all that was needed, in that case Coyle stuck out his hand to the Taoiseach, I'd say it was harder to avoid Ring than Cotena in that ring.

Congrats to Henry Coyle, a good year for Mayo boxing.

Boxers aren't usually big on handshakes after a fight.

Most fighters would show some form of respect after the fight. Be it a hand shake a hug or whatever.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

muppet

Quote from: The Iceman on August 16, 2011, 02:59:39 PM
Quote from: muppet on August 16, 2011, 02:55:13 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 13, 2011, 12:12:35 AM
Quote from: spuds on August 12, 2011, 11:16:18 PM
Coyle won, Cotena had a cut above his right eye after a clash of heads in the 6th. Cotena had enough at that stage and used the cut to quit. Coyle by far the better boxer.

Why the f**k they let that eejit Michael Ring into the ring only God knows, crowing on about Sam coming home in september. Just when most people keeping a lid on all the hype along comes Mr. Westport soccer

It was a bit cringeworthy to be honest, a simple handshake like Kenny was all that was needed, in that case Coyle stuck out his hand to the Taoiseach, I'd say it was harder to avoid Ring than Cotena in that ring.

Congrats to Henry Coyle, a good year for Mayo boxing.

Boxers aren't usually big on handshakes after a fight.

Most fighters would show some form of respect after the fight. Be it a hand shake a hug or whatever.

That wasn't quite what I was getting at. Their hands are often in bits for some time afterwards.
MWWSI 2017

Atticus_Finch

Article from Boxing-Ireland.com in which Martin Rogan criticises Mick Hennessy:

"Martin Rogan is Fury-ous and blasts Mick Hennessey - from Alex McGreevy, 23 August 2011

Irish heavyweight attraction Martin Rogan has launched a furious attack on the managerial team behind British and Commonwealth champ Tyson Fury before they arrive in Belfast tomorrow to unveil plans for a King's Hall show next month.

Rogan has refused to fight the 6ft 9inch Fury and last night claiming he turned down the opportunity because Fury's manager and promoter Mick Hennessy had "unlicensed middle-men in Belfast making all sorts of offers" on his behalf.

Rogan claims Hennessy failed to reply to his calls and emails throughout last month and only contacted the West Belfast man on August 10 with an offer to showdown with Englishman Fury, who claims roots in County Antrim and Galway.
Martin_Rogan_Belfast_BoxerFury's scheduled show at the King's Hall on September 17 has yet to name an opponent and Rogan claims the fighter's camp took it for granted he would be the man standing in the opposite corner.

Last week Fury labelled Rogan a 'bully' and claimed the 40-year-old taxi driver didn't want a repeat of his title show defeats to Norwich heavyweight Sam Sexton in his native city.

Rogan said, "Mick Hennessy should be ashamed of himself for allowing hangers-on and middle-men come to my door to represent him and his company. They wanted Martin Rogan but they didn't get him because they didn't speak to Martin Rogan's manager, who is Martin Rogan.
"They didn't speak to the boxer Martin Rogan. They didn't speak to anyone called Martin Rogan.

"They sent the dog that sits in the yard instead of the businessman and that is not how I work. I manage myself, so Mick Hennessy should have come to me. He should not have got someone from Belfast to speak on his behalf and then they should not have got John Ingle to call me from England on their behalf," blasted Rogan.

Fight talk in the city claims Rogan turned down an £80,000 offer to clash with Fury next month but he says that is a scandalous lie.

Rogan clarified, "I have had offers of £40,000 and £50,000 and nothing anywhere near £80,000. So if Fury's people are saying it was £80,000, why was I being offered less?

"Here's the truth that the Irish fight fans should know; Hennessy wanted me and only me to fight Fury, so he booked the King's Hall and took it for granted I would accept.

"Anytime a middle-man came to my door or called my number I sent him away with a message to tell Mick Hennessy to call me.

"Mick didn't contact me until August 10, so he was trying to give me as little notice as possible to prepare. I am nobodys fool and the Irish fight fans should not be fooled by this carnival behind Fury.

"They have made it a sideshow; they have insulted me and tried to undermine me. They have tried to make my supporters believe I am money-motivated. If I was motivated by money, I would have taken the fight. My only motivation is to take the belts off Fury; the money will look after itself after that."

Rogan says he has 'put a number of people back in their boxes' in recent days because he is being bombarded with text messages and phone-calls claiming he turned down 'megabucks', adding "I have had enough of these people and the lies they have spread and I have confronted the sources.

The people know who they are and they should hang their heads in shame because of the way in which they have treated an Irish fighter and taken for granted the Irish fight fans.

"Tyson is not Irish but his people are hanging him on the coat-tails of his Irish roots in order to market him.

"Martin Rogan, Irish heavyweight boxer, manager and man, can sleep well in his bed and has nothing to hide. When Tyson Fury and Mick Hennessy leave Belfast behind, they won't give a damn about Irish fight fans or the fighters on the undercard.

"They call it The Only Show in Town but it will be The Only Farce in Town."

Fury is expected to name an opponent for next month's King's Hall debut at a press conference today."

For me Rogie doesn't come out of this looking well at all.

Rogan recently acted as back up for Chisora in his fight with Fury, the fight was televised on channel 5 and Rogan was acting as an "insurance policy" had anything happened to Chisora in the run up to the fight, Rogan would have stepped in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkFlE0VTGjM&feature=player_embedded - Watch from 2.50 onwards.  It's clear that Mick Hennessy had negotiations directly with Rogan about the prospect of a fight in Belfast and all Rogie's chat about that he would love to get in the ring with Fury has a hollow ring to it now.

I'm not sure what rogan's main gripe is here - is it:

1. the lack of direct contact with Hennessy ?  surely there can be no doubt that there was direct contact when he went over to the Chisora vs Fury fight. Rogan doesn't have a manager, that's the way he wants it, under normal circumstances he would have a manager and he would conduct the negotiations and take charge of all formal contact. So it's a petty gripe to have -If you want to manage your affairs, then manage them to the best of your ability .. and if you want to have direct contact with Hennessy pick up the blower and have direct contact with Hennessy  ???  ???

2.  The money on offer ?  No harm to rogan but bearing in mind his recent inactivity - £50,000 to participate in a bout that will be televised on channel 5, £50,000 is a good offer.  He was prepared to fight in prizefighter and the most he would have got from that is £32,000 and he wouldn't have got half the exposure that channel 5 offered (which he badly needs considering his inactivity). 

He shouldn't be citing a lack of notice either - I reckon he would have had at least 10 weeks from when the prospective bout was first mentioned and considering he was prepared to fight Fury as a back up (and presumably at very short notice) for Chisora then he looks a bit foolish iif he tries to cite a lack of notice as a reason for not taking the fight.

Rogan has given Belfast fight fans some great nights of entertainment over the years but i think it is time for him to call it a day.  He's 40 now and considering he only went pro when he was roughly 33, I think he's had a good a career as he was ever going to have in boxing.

When he looks back on his career i think he will deeply regret the day he split with John Breen, a lot of the good nights (Harrison and Skelton) were to quite a large extent the result of the hard work and guidance of John Breen.  Without John Breen, Rogie's best hope is that they bring out "Man About Dog 2" because he no longer has the discipline or dedication that is required to belong on the inside of a boxing ring.

"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

Overthebar!

Say that to his face then Atticus  :D

Atticus_Finch

I would have no hesitation in doing so at all OTB.  Hopefully bump into him on the 10th of September but I doubt he's going to go, would love the opportunity to discuss it all with him over a pint.

Tony Baloney

I see the big eejit was at the Fury press conference today and had a notepad full of questions.

Anybody for McCloskey's fight?

Muzz

Im for heading Tony.  Many other board members going?

Atticus_Finch

It was a ridiculous press conference, the big announcement (in relation to who Fury's opponent would be)  was there was no announcement.

Rogie turning up was on the cards, the press conference was a lot more subdued than i thought it would be.  Still, any christmas panto i come across this december that has Martin Rogan involved I will go along and see - he is good entertainment.

As i've said above, Rogan has no legitimate grievance here .. if he has any intentions of making a proper comeback he should have taken the offer. The money on offer was great (would have been the best purse of his career to date) and would have been accompanied with exposure on a terrestial tv channel.

I love the way the media over here are singing the praises of Tyson Fury because of his conduct during the press conference, proclaiming him as the ultimate gentleman for not engaging in a slanging match with Rogan .. what they seem to not realise is that the British Boxing Board are keeping an eye on Fury's press conferences for the forseeable future.  He received an official reprimand from the Board and was warned about future conduct as a result of his behaviour during a telephone conference in the build up to the Chisora fight when he temporarily turned into Roberto Duran and said:

"It will come down to one thing on the night ? who's got the bigger heart? Who wants it more?

"I know I want it so badly, nothing will stop me, I have a wife and two children to provide for. If it means killing you in the ring, that's what I'll do.

"To beat me, you will have to kill me. I'm prepared to die for my family. You are an arrogant little p***k ? I'll smash your face in when we fight."

Chisora was still in bed during the telephone conference and hung up  :D

In fairness to Fury he did handle the press conference well and there does appear to be some degree of mutual respect between him and Rogan.  But unless something extraordinary happens between now and the 17th of September his fight is going to be a farce and not something that you want to be televising on channel 5.  As it stands it looks like the support act of Junior Witter vs Stephen Haughian will be more of a contest than the headliner.

Just reading today that George Groves has left Hayemaker promotions and joined up with Frank Warren.  Hayemaker promotions doesn't have the same clout with David Haye's profile being in decline after his performance against Klitschko.  Fair play to Adam Booth, he's looking out for George Groves here, i'm sure it wasn't an easy decision considering his close relationship with David Haye but I say it was a decison that had to be made.  Frank Warren's first move ?? .. to setup a rematch with James DeGale (another one of his fighters).  The fight won't happen for a while but when it does I strongly believe that DeGale will win ... despite the fact it's hard not to take a strong disliking to the guy.

Yes Tony I think i will try and head to the fight .... should Breidis Prescott incur any injury in the space of the next few weeks do not be at all surprised if Marcos Maidana steps into the breach. Before the Prescott match was made, a deal had been agreed in principle for Maidana to fight McCloskey and he was prepared to travel to Belfast.  Then Maidana received a "Vito Corleone" offer to fight Roberto Guerrero and he took it.  Guerrero has now pulled out of the fight after sustaining a shoulder injury.  Maidana is supposed to be devestated as he obviously fears all his preparations will go down the swanny, the whole fight card for that night (Aug 27th) has now been scrapped. Maidana is now talking about fighting an opponent a week after the McCloskey fight in his native Argentina.

He'll get no big names at this notice, if the opportunity arises he will jump at the chance to fight McCloskey on a Sky Sports bill, the exposure alone will help Maidana get what he craves the most ... another shot at Khan.

Milltown Row2

Carl Frampton vs Kiko Martinez, I'm hearing this fight is off due to an illness to Kiko's father.

Any confirmation on this?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Atticus_Finch

Looks like it MR, Big Bang Casey is going to step in.  Not a bad replacement, big bang will look to knock out frampton in the same way martinez would have.  Don't think casey is as technically as good but still has the makings of a very interesting fight.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Atticus_Finch on August 28, 2011, 02:24:16 PM
Looks like it MR, Big Bang Casey is going to step in.  Not a bad replacement, big bang will look to knock out frampton in the same way martinez would have.  Don't think casey is as technically as good but still has the makings of a very interesting fight.

You think Martinez would have beat Carl? Aye that will be a tasty replacement

If Big Bang Casey looses this fight will he change his name to just Casey?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Minder

Why is Rogie referring to himself in the third person?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Atticus_Finch

I think Frampton would have won on points, but I have to say that I was surprised at Frampton being installed as favourite by many bookies. A lot of effort was put in to bring Martinez to Belfast, the negotiations were far from straight forward, but his management were prepared to put that effort in to bring him over here as they were very confident of the win and know what a scalp Martinez would have been.
McGuigan has continuously talked up Frampton as a real prospect and knows that he has to put him in against the likes of Martinez if he is ever going to be considered amongst the elite of the division. I guess the disappointing thing from Frampton's perspective is that if he had beat Martinez it could have launched him into the top ten of the division. While a win over Casey would also boost him in the rankings it won't get him that near the top ten.

Good to see a bit of rain in Croker, should help the Donegal cause. C'mon Donegal!

Milltown Row2

In fairness Carl has been training hard would be spending a lot of time over in England training with the McGuigan's. While slightly inexperienced he believes he has the power and game plan to do well at this division.

Too early to have a shot at the big hitters out there but Barry is taking things slow and wary of an early defeat in his career could end up hurting him.

Milltown Row2

Seems Casey has pulled the plug on fighting Carl Frampton on the 10th. Casey wants to fight  but his backroom team have asked for a lot more money.