Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quit yo jibbajabba

Quote from: Minder on July 24, 2011, 11:07:13 PM
Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on July 24, 2011, 10:57:53 PM
cant believe there wasnt a mention of Fury Chisora on here :P

the big mans goin on to fight one of the klitchkos doncha know!

There doesent look to be much power in his punches.

true.
heavyweight div is sure in a bad way if he is british champ, never mind a world contender;
chisora threw less punches than haye in his fight; had the beating of fury if remotely fit/up for it

nrico2006

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on July 24, 2011, 11:25:04 PM
Quote from: Minder on July 24, 2011, 11:07:13 PM
Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on July 24, 2011, 10:57:53 PM
cant believe there wasnt a mention of Fury Chisora on here :P

the big mans goin on to fight one of the klitchkos doncha know!

There doesent look to be much power in his punches.

true.
heavyweight div is sure in a bad way if he is british champ, never mind a world contender;
chisora threw less punches than haye in his fight; had the beating of fury if remotely fit/up for it

Fury is a joke, never seen a serious boxer with as little muscle in my life, awful shape of a man and doesn't seem to have the technical skills or power.  Sure did he not punch himself in one of his fights before?!?  Chisora had him in trouble on a few occasions and actually provided the entertaining parts of the fight, obviously just didn't land enough power punches that Fury did.

As for Khan, is he actually going to fight someone top level who isn't on the slide?  He fought and needed the doctor to get him a win over a finished MAB, has now beat Zab who is way past his best and I hear talk of him fighting Morales (long finished) or waiting to next year or the year after to fight Mayweather as Khan thinks he will be in his prime then.  I think its more a case of him hoping that by waiting that he will maybe catch a version of Mayweather that has slowed down or past its peak, which is realistic given his age.  Sickening wee man.  If he is any good he should try and fight Pacquaio or Mayweather in his next fight, but he is a ducker!
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

NAG1

Unfortunately that the game they all play, duck around build up the money and then only fight the big fight when you are left with no other option. Hope that you either win or get beat in a close fight so there is a possibility of a rematch.

Its a business and they are in it to make money end of and to be honest who can blame them. I know I would be standing in the rnig getting the face beat off me!

Atticus_Finch

Carl Frampton vs Kiko Martinez has been confirmed as the chief support fight for the McCloskey vs Prescott fight in the Odyssey on the 10th of September.

Not a bad chief support fight at all.  Eamon O'Kane is also on the bill.

Was on the road back up from Croker on Saturday and I didn't get to see the Fury vs Chisora fight - have to admit was surprised when i heard the outcome.  But then i also heard that Chisora looked badly out of shape and was the heavyiest he has ever been for a fight.  I'd say Chisora lost a bit of heart after being messed about a bit by wladimir Klitschko twice.  Still not much of an excuse, if he had won this then he would have been in line for a shot, with them refusing to fight each other they arn't exactly spoilt for 'credible' opponents

I see at least Fury has a bit of sense and is up front about not wanting to fight either of the Klitschko's just yet and is instead calling out big Rogie  ;D
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

Tommo2

Just looking at buying tickets for the McCloskey fight. Can anyone give me some guidance on where you need to be sitting for a good view without being ringside!!! Never been at a fight at the Odossey and therefore not sure what price level to go to.

bridgegael

i see brian magee won on points last night to win the wbc interim supermiddle belt.       
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Atticus_Finch

Quote from: Tommo2 on July 29, 2011, 03:45:37 PM
Just looking at buying tickets for the McCloskey fight. Can anyone give me some guidance on where you need to be sitting for a good view without being ringside!!! Never been at a fight at the Odossey and therefore not sure what price level to go to.

Tommo no matter where you are in the Odyssey you are going to have a decent enough view, it's fairly compact in comparison to other boxing venues e.g. Manchester MEN.

The cheapest tickets (£33) are all sold out.  The next level up is £44 tickets and they are in various locations through the arena, the ones in the better locations are gone.

It depends what you are prepared to spend but the best value seats in my opinion, pound for pound  :D , are the £80 seats as although they are not on the floor level they are lower tier and are located just above the ring so you have a perfect view, looking into the ring. They're not cheap and i know they would be out of most people's price range.

My main advice would be -   if you want the cheapest tickets still available, get to carl frampton's boxing club (Midland ABC) tomorrow night - they're on sale there from 6-8pm and will be sold at £40 as they are being sold out of the club.

Otherwise go down to the box office at the odyssey, if you can make the trip. At the box office you can be shown on the seating plan exactly where you will be seated before you buy any tickets and you will also avoid having to pay the service charge that you would if you went over the phone or internet. 

The seating plan they have at the box office is a lot more detailed and clear than the one they have on ticketmaster http://www.ticketmaster.co.uk/seatingchart/197869/12504 which i think is a bit misleading as it doesn't categorise the price levels properly.

Well done to Brian magee last night - he should now be in line for another title shot, making the trip to costa rica very worthwhile.

the Deel Rover

Any one going to  Henry Coyles  WBF Light Middleweight title fight in Castlebar tonight . i see the tg4 are showing it live
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

spuds

Coyle won, Cotena had a cut above his right eye after a clash of heads in the 6th. Cotena had enough at that stage and used the cut to quit. Coyle by far the better boxer.

Why the f**k they let that eejit Michael Ring into the ring only God knows, crowing on about Sam coming home in september. Just when most people keeping a lid on all the hype along comes Mr. Westport soccer
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: spuds on August 12, 2011, 11:16:18 PM
Coyle won, Cotena had a cut above his right eye after a clash of heads in the 6th. Cotena had enough at that stage and used the cut to quit. Coyle by far the better boxer.

Why the f**k they let that eejit Michael Ring into the ring only God knows, crowing on about Sam coming home in september. Just when most people keeping a lid on all the hype along comes Mr. Westport soccer

It was a bit cringeworthy to be honest, a simple handshake like Kenny was all that was needed, in that case Coyle stuck out his hand to the Taoiseach, I'd say it was harder to avoid Ring than Cotena in that ring.

Congrats to Henry Coyle, a good year for Mayo boxing.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Atticus_Finch

It looks like Tyson Fury's opponent for the 17th of September in the Odyssey will be Cork based Cuban, Mike Perez.

That's only a week after the Paul McCloskey fight and despite the close proximity i think that'll be an enticing enough fight for most fans.  I find it funny because you'll have a Manc and Cuban facing each other to win an Irish title  :D.  It will be live on channel 5.

For me, i have no doubt that Perez will win this and i'll be interested to see how it is priced up.  I can't give Fury a great deal of credit for his victory over Chisora as it was pretty clear that Chisora was in no condition for that fight and that was reflected in not only his physical shape but his sluggish performance.  But even with that I felt that Chisora given half a chance could have knocked Fury out. Fury doesn't have the power to make an impact on the heavyweight scene.

Perez will be going for the knockout in the hope of adding to his burgeoning reputation as a knockout artist.

Take the first two names of these lads and put them together and you have the name of one of the great heavyweights.  Unfortunately for both of them the comparison should stop there. But from what i've seen of Perez' style he would definitely model himself on Iron Mike.

I think while Mick Hennessy deserves credit for getting boxing back on terrestial tv he hasn't done his homework here by matching Fury with Perez.  Apparently Rogie turned him down, and they were also looking at David Price (sparring partner of David Haye in the build up to the Klitschko fight) but to opt for Perez doesn't make great sense.

The reason why i don't think he's done his homework is not only because I believe Perez will win this fight but say even if Fury does win this fight it won't elevate his profile the way his victory over an out of shape Chisora did.  But not only that, my understanding is that Fury's main reason for wanting to fight in Belfast is to try and capitalise on his Irish heritage and build up an Irish fan base. Well then matching him with Perez is counterproductive ... on the basis of style (and ring entrance music  ;) ), I think most neutrals will gravitate towards rooting for Perez.

It's a great fight for Perez and it will really launch his name in ireland and the UK should he win.

I'm hoping for great value on a Perez win, I can see him winning by knockout in the 5th.

Atticus_Finch

Perez has turned down the offer to fight Fury and fight on the undercard of the McCloskey fight.  It's good news for anyone attending the McCloskey fight but I wouldn't be happy if I was Mike Perez ... I'd be even less happy if I was Channel 5 !

Mick Hennessy has now turned his attentions to trying to get Coleman Barrett to sign up to the fight on September 17th.

They will get Barrett but it will mean they'll be left with a bout that will struggle to sell tickets, especially as Belfast fight fans will have shelled out money a week earlier to watch McCloskey, Frampton and Perez. They would need to get one hell of an undercard together to salvage the bill.

Channel 5 are unlikely to be overjoyed at the prospect of fury vs Barrett.

ludermor

Quote from: Atticus_Finch on August 15, 2011, 09:31:43 PM
Perez has turned down the offer to fight Fury and fight on the undercard of the McCloskey fight.  It's good news for anyone attending the McCloskey fight but I wouldn't be happy if I was Mike Perez ... I'd be even less happy if I was Channel 5 !

Mick Hennessy has now turned his attentions to trying to get Coleman Barrett to sign up to the fight on September 17th.

They will get Barrett but it will mean they'll be left with a bout that will struggle to sell tickets, especially as Belfast fight fans will have shelled out money a week earlier to watch McCloskey, Frampton and Perez. They would need to get one hell of an undercard together to salvage the bill.

Channel 5 are unlikely to be overjoyed at the prospect of fury vs Barrett.
Why would he be unhappy if he turned down the fight ( or am i misreading you?)

Atticus_Finch

Fair question ... In the first Instance I was referring to mike Perez in the collective form (his people and management). Pat Thomas is currently managing the Cork based Cubans (Perez, Acosta and Garcia) but the announcement about Perez being on the undercard of McCloskey came directly from Eddie Hearn. After Perez won prizefighter, Matchroom (The Hearn's promotional company which runs the Prizefighter competition) were always going to have a say in his next few fights. If I was Mike Perez i'd rather be headlining a bill in a winnable fight that is televised on channel 5 than playing 2nd support (Carl Frampton will be the main support) on the McCloskey bill.

muppet

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 13, 2011, 12:12:35 AM
Quote from: spuds on August 12, 2011, 11:16:18 PM

It was a bit cringeworthy to be honest, a simple handshake like Kenny was all that was needed, in that case Coyle stuck out his hand to the Taoiseach, I'd say it was harder to avoid Ring than Cotena in that ring.

Congrats to Henry Coyle, a good year for Mayo boxing.

Boxers aren't usually big on handshakes after a fight.
MWWSI 2017