Cycling

Started by Jimmy, February 18, 2010, 10:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimStynes

Quote from: gerry on July 19, 2014, 12:33:13 AM
> i think garmin where wrong in making him ride on, when they knew he wouldn't start the next morning.  i loved the fake tears, he probable thought he had a chance after he won the dauphine

> fair play to anyone who rides  the la marmotte in one day, i rode it last year but not all in one day.  hopefully there is a group of us heading out to the tour next year to cycle a few hills

> quintanna and froome head to head should be good but i think quintanna has the beating of him

> sky very quiet on JTL doping, is it to easy to say it didn't happen on their watch

In comparison to the steepness of the hills around ireland what would the marmotte climbs be like? Is it a case of steep enough climbs but they just go on for miles and miles? Looking at it, it would be impossible to train for it around here.

gerry

the hills around here have steeper ramps where in france they are less severe and go on forever. most of them have hairpins so you have a rest as they flatten out.  as long as you have a compact ring and can spin a small gear you will be grand.  the main thing is to ride it at your own pace and not try to slow  down or speed up to match others,

if you decide to do it, you will love it as the scenery, weather and roads are class
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Tony Baloney

I passed one of your number cycling up the hard shoulder of the M1 between the Saintfield and Balmoral junctions  :o

haveaharp

Go on Nico, dig in to feck

Mayo4Sam

hes going to have to work for Majka
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

grounded

After a few years off, I've just started back doing a little road cycling. Maybe my memories are a little rosier than reality but i cant remember there been any road rage incidents with drivers previously. However since I've started back there has definitely been an appreciable decline in the respect drivers have for cyclists. I've witnessed more than a few so called  road rage incidents since I've started back. I appreciate cyclists also have responsibilities but I've even witnessed Drivers deliberately going out of their way to create hassle for cyclists. I know they did a recent enough ad campaign about cyclist safety but it doesn't seem to have worked. Point being that all the good work of promoting cycling is wasted when inexperienced cyclists get an experience of our roads. Bar forcing the ignorant f*#ker out of his her car and onto a bike what can be done?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: grounded on July 25, 2014, 01:11:15 PM
After a few years off, I've just started back doing a little road cycling. Maybe my memories are a little rosier than reality but i cant remember there been any road rage incidents with drivers previously. However since I've started back there has definitely been an appreciable decline in the respect drivers have for cyclists. I've witnessed more than a few so called  road rage incidents since I've started back. I appreciate cyclists also have responsibilities but I've even witnessed Drivers deliberately going out of their way to create hassle for cyclists. I know they did a recent enough ad campaign about cyclist safety but it doesn't seem to have worked. Point being that all the good work of promoting cycling is wasted when inexperienced cyclists get an experience of our roads. Bar forcing the ignorant f*#ker out of his her car and onto a bike what can be done?

Dedicated cycle lanes, simple. But hey that costs money, how many new roads have been built in the last few years (up and down Ireland) have put in proper cycle lanes? The new Larne road and the Carrick road are nearly done, I wonder was the cyclist ever thought about in these new roads?

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Mayo4Sam

I think theres an onus on the cyclist, we cant change how motorists act/react to us but we can demand respect on the road.

As someone who has cycled and driven a tractor for all of my adult life and a lot of my childhood you realise that people in cars just do not want to be held up by something slower than them. As a tractor its easy, you are on the road and people have to take car passing you, they are in a one tonne vehicle you're in a three tonne vehicle, they hit you, thet are in trouble. I always laugh when lads pass you blowing the horn and sticking their fingers up at you, what do you want me to do, not drive on the road.

Well I think a cyclist has to demand the same respect, if you cycle up on the ditch or in single file you are basically saying, yes its ok by me to overtake. If another car comes towards the car overtaking, well who are they going to run into the car coming at speed in the opposite direction or the cyclist?
You're not holding up traffic, you are traffic.
And yes you'll have the same number of assholes who beep and stick up their fingers at you, I wave and smile  ;D
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

ONeill

What about this Nibali fellow? On the glue or wha?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

maddog

Quote from: ONeill on July 25, 2014, 03:15:44 PM
What about this Nibali fellow? On the glue or wha?

Think an all ireland where Dublin and Kerry withdraw after round one, Mayo win by 10 points in the final in a hack canter.

Nibali is a grand tour winner (Italy+Spain) and built his seaon around the Tour de france. If he was clean he'd be that much ahead of those contesting the podium positions. If he is juiced then he could have saved himself the bother.
The proximity of the like of Peraud and Pinot suggest to me that its as weak a tour as there has been in a long time. Not Nibalis fault of course with thw withdrawal of Froome and Contador. Good luck to him.
His record in grand tours (France 7th 2009 3rd 2012) (Spain 1st 2010 7th 2011 2nd 2013) (Italy 2010 3rd 2011 2nd 2013 1st)

He hasnt come out of nowhere.

imtommygunn

His surge up the mountain yesterday to pass the old guy, can't mind his name, was reminiscent of a particular scene they showed in one of those Armstrong documentaries. Barely even out of breath...

I love the TDF but unfortunately due to it's history winners will always be questioned...

maddog

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 25, 2014, 04:24:42 PM
His surge up the mountain yesterday to pass the old guy, can't mind his name, was reminiscent of a particular scene they showed in one of those Armstrong documentaries. Barely even out of breath...

I love the TDF but unfortunately due to it's history winners will always be questioned...

It certainly was impressive.

bennydorano

The most uninteresting Tour I've watched.

Hopefully La Vuelta will be better, Contador's not going to make it according to his tweets. Froome v Quintana should be good, Horner fancies his chances & I think it's Rodriguez's main target of the season, Betancur, Dan Martin, Cadel? should also be there, there'll probably be a few other big names there who've had shite Tours as well. Plus they'll probably have the kudos of having Cavendish there.

JimStynes

Quote from: bennydorano on July 25, 2014, 09:07:24 PM
The most uninteresting Tour I've watched.

Hopefully La Vuelta will be better, Contador's not going to make it according to his tweets. Froome v Quintana should be good, Horner fancies his chances & I think it's Rodriguez's main target of the season, Betancur, Dan Martin, Cadel? should also be there, there'll probably be a few other big names there who've had shite Tours as well. Plus they'll probably have the kudos of having Cavendish there.

Nibali has run away with it, but the racing beneath him has been very exciting i thought.
A few cracking stages!

oakleafgael

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 25, 2014, 03:01:37 PM
Quote from: grounded on July 25, 2014, 01:11:15 PM

Dedicated cycle lanes, simple. But hey that costs money, how many new roads have been built in the last few years (up and down Ireland) have put in proper cycle lanes? The new Larne road and the Carrick road are nearly done, I wonder was the cyclist ever thought about in these new roads?

Combined cycleway/footpath for large sections of the new A8. Most of the new road infrastructure in Ireland over the last 15/20 years has been Dual Carriageway/Motorway which aren't suitable for cycleways.