Cycling

Started by Jimmy, February 18, 2010, 10:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeoMc

Quote from: JimStynes on May 04, 2014, 10:54:57 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on May 04, 2014, 08:44:02 PM
Tough going alrite Jim.  Have to say it was the best organised sportive I've ever done, sometimes you can get very little for your entry fee but thought we got a great goodie bag and superb marshalling, signage, grub etc.. today bought the Jersey too last night, £45 impulse buy, caught again.

Roll on Wicklow!  You'll have to have a go at that Jim, about 4/5,000 feet more climbing, but 18 miles less than today's distance.

big eye opener today as to how average i am. Fellas from the local club beside me average 18.9 for 144! Serious speed and fitness. I need to improve my fitness and lose some weight big time if I want to do something like the Wicklow 200. I am not in a club so i don't know how to properly cycle in a group and a crash put me off cycling too close to other people, I was afraid for my new bianchi rather than my own safety.Had to cycle a good 50 mile on my own today at one stage!! I agree with the organisation, top class and great goodie bag! Although I thought the Aid Station from Ballycastle to Glenarm was too far away, wouldnt have minded a wee drink/food stop somewhere in between after those hard climbs.

The pros will prob fly round it with ave speed of 35mph or something

Something similar, started off to fast and was buckled by Ballymena, no one should want to get to Ballymena that fast. From then on everytime it got tight I had nothing in the tank and kept dropping off groups.

muppet

Quote from: The Iceman on May 05, 2014, 05:46:39 PM
Any of yous do any Mountain Biking? Found a great trail park near us - about 25 mins away. Though you's might like a look at one of the trails on offer for the elite - I won't be attempting! There are a load of trails for beginner level and up. Place is called Duthie hill:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLBMjHxvkdo

I won't be doing any of that, but my little lad loved the video.
MWWSI 2017

gerry

just back from the city hall and there was a good reception for the local lads, thankfully the rain stayed off.  heading to ballycastle in the morning for a weekend of cycling and beer.

God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

johnneycool

Anyone recommend a half decent cycle rack for a salon type car? Don't want to bust the bank and haven't got a tow bar!

majestic

Hi everyone,

Was wondering what you guys would recommend for a new start on a road bike. I was hoping to keep it below £500, so I've done abit of research and it seems going for a sale bike would be best (last years model). I need a new activity, as running and football are looking unlikely to be an option for me anymore. If I don't start something soon I am going to explode lol

All help and suggestions welcome. Cheers

Tony Baloney

Quote from: johnneycool on May 14, 2014, 10:57:32 AM
Anyone recommend a half decent cycle rack for a salon type car? Don't want to bust the bank and haven't got a tow bar!
Will you offer manicures and pedicures or just haircuts?

gerry

Checkout buy and sell cyclist on Facebook. There is a halfords bike on there now for £200
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

JimStynes

How hard is this Mourne Etape? I've a match on Saturday night and don't know if I could face it while I am sore from football. I've a friend interested in going too but this will be his first sportive!

Maguire01

Quote from: JimStynes on May 14, 2014, 09:27:54 PM
How hard is this Mourne Etape? I've a match on Saturday night and don't know if I could face it while I am sore from football. I've a friend interested in going too but this will be his first sportive!
Just looked at the route - 7 categorised climbs of which 5 are category 3!

bennydorano

It's very tough, not to be taken lightly as it's 'only' 75m. Sunday doesn't look great weather wise either.

JimStynes

Quote from: bennydorano on May 14, 2014, 10:32:57 PM
It's very tough, not to be taken lightly as it's 'only' 75m. Sunday doesn't look great weather wise either.

I would probably only do the 45mile route. Surely that would be manageable. How good would this be! http://www.hauteroutealps.org

Milltown Row2

That is ridiculous ffs!!! Unbelievable climbs fecking hell!!  The one legged rider pure inspiration there
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Maguire01

Quote from: JimStynes on May 14, 2014, 10:56:38 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on May 14, 2014, 10:32:57 PM

I would probably only do the 45mile route. Surely that would be manageable. How good would this be! http://www.hauteroutealps.org
That looks amazing - absolutely killer though.

JimStynes

You would need a years training and I would need to get rid of 10kgs for the likes of that. Ridiculous but must be some achievement to finish that. the youtube videos are class.

This is another class one but serious money needed for it http://www.tourdeforce.org.uk

Mayo4Sam

Just finished three days of Race the RAS, where you do the route the morning of the race, amazing stuff, would love to have been doing the 8 days. WOuld highly recommend it to anyone, great craic, great scenery and tough cycling
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me