Cycling

Started by Jimmy, February 18, 2010, 10:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maddog

Tacx are def good sturdy turbo trainers. Problem is with them as GC said above they are as boring as hell but they are a good workout. If you get one with the resistance adjuster that you clamp to the bars its a good job as it replicates going uphill. Loads of them 2nd hand on ebay.

Anyone going out with the lights on these days ? What lighting systems are you using ? Mate of mine just got this yoke for about £85 - 1000 lumens rechargeable job made by one23, the cars are flashing at him to dip ;D

bennydorano

I've a bog standard TT, Minoura, cost bout £120 2 years ago. When i go on it now, i try to coincide it with a match on Sky & watch it on the laptop on Skygo / anytime. Great job, have the ipod on the go too, takes the boredom out of it.

Harps boys have started a night spin once a week maddog, good crack. Steadies do it too through PD/ LG. i've  an oul Lidl yoke in the go lightwise, tops!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bennydorano on November 14, 2012, 01:43:13 PM
I've a bog standard TT, Minoura, cost bout £120 2 years ago. When i go on it now, i try to coincide it with a match on Sky & watch it on the laptop on Skygo / anytime. Great job, have the ipod on the go too, takes the boredom out of it.

Harps boys have started a night spin once a week maddog, good crack. Steadies do it too through PD/ LG. i've  an oul Lidl yoke in the go lightwise, tops!

Been doing these for a while now, how effective are they in transfering across to the real thing? Once the days get longer and drier I'll be out on the road but being a novice on the bike I was hoping that it would be a great start up exercise
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

maddog

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 14, 2012, 03:24:52 PM

Been doing these for a while now, how effective are they in transfering across to the real thing? Once the days get longer and drier I'll be out on the road but being a novice on the bike I was hoping that it would be a great start up exercise

Are you talking about spin classes ?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: maddog on November 14, 2012, 03:36:39 PM

Oh is that out on the roads at night?? FFS madness no matter how bright your lights are!! Sorry I was taking about the spin classes
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

maddog

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 14, 2012, 03:49:09 PM
Quote from: maddog on November 14, 2012, 03:36:39 PM

Oh is that out on the roads at night?? FFS madness no matter how bright your lights are!! Sorry I was taking about the spin classes

No doubt about it, it is sometimes hairy enough but it often is in daylight too. Away out on the country roads is better in the dark than the half light of the streets, better chance of getting seen in the pitch black i think as against the glare of traffic. Never tried the spin classes but from what i hear they are tough so have to be as good if not better than out on the road. Turbo trainer as well there is no let up whereas out on the road you get a chance to freewheel every now and then.

maddog

Milltown Row2

Quote from: maddog on November 22, 2012, 10:39:40 AM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on November 13, 2012, 10:32:20 PM
Anyone use a turbo trainer? What should I be looking for when I'm buying one?
Even basics are required here

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/healthandfitness/535690/zero-in-on-turbo-training.html

Would the spin cycle classes not be better? The view I had last night in the spin class will not be better this year I tell ya :o Oh and it was a tough work out

Cold tea

Anyone watching war on britains roads - interesting stuff - the web developer comes across as one wab!

Denn Forever

The power of the Olympics?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/20724621

Leeds will host the start of the 2014 Tour de France.

The Tour heads through Yorkshire on 5 and 6 July, before moving south for a third stage, finishing in London
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

north aontroim gael

Anyone know any good scenic routes to tackle around Mourne area?  There may be a very obvious trail etc but thinking of heading that way with the Mrs some weekend just into the new year so would appreciate any tips.

Last Man

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 22, 2012, 12:43:45 PM
Quote from: maddog on November 22, 2012, 10:39:40 AM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on November 13, 2012, 10:32:20 PM
Anyone use a turbo trainer? What should I be looking for when I'm buying one?
Even basics are required here

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/healthandfitness/535690/zero-in-on-turbo-training.html

Would the spin cycle classes not be better? The view I had last night in the spin class will not be better this year I tell ya :o Oh and it was a tough work out
Like Milltown I prefer a good spin class, you would have to be super motivated to sit on a t trainer for an hour. I wrecks tyres so make sure you change it before getting back on the roads.

bennydorano

Quote from: north aontroim gael on December 15, 2012, 03:20:14 AM
Anyone know any good scenic routes to tackle around Mourne area?  There may be a very obvious trail etc but thinking of heading that way with the Mrs some weekend just into the new year so would appreciate any tips.

Not sure how into it u are, but Google Etape Mourne, there should still be the 2 route maps of a Sportive a few of us tackled, not soft thou, Spelga's a lung & leg buster. Dicey enough at this time of year thou, 45 & 75m routes.

gerry

i had a turbo but its hard to get motivated to get on it, i go to spin classes 2 to 3 times a week and bjasus you sweat.  i am not sure if it helps with the over all cycling but i found it helped me spinninga small gear on the hills
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,