Cycling

Started by Jimmy, February 18, 2010, 10:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robertemmet

Sounds like the Kayaking was tough going.

Not sure if it will be as tough as some of the hills around the Inishowen 100 this Sunday. Anyone for doing it?

Bingo

The actual kayaking was grand but fustrating with stoping and starting to get it back on course.

I'd not have the miles done on the bike yet to do the Inishowen100. I'd say its a tough one and if the wind gets up, it will be a hell of a ride. You do it in previous years?

robertemmet

I did it two years ago and struggled in few places.  It certainly is a tough one, but we'll see how it goes.

Do you know anyone who has a good cycling blog, I am only really getting started at it.

http://mal-sport.blogspot.com

Bingo

Not sure of any blogs, haven't really looked at anything bar boards.ie that has a cycling section. It has loads of info on anything cycling related.

They also a friendly and informed crew who can point you in any direction you need.

robertemmet

Is there anyone on here that is into racing?  You do many races in the season. 

Hashtag

Anyone own an exercise bike? I was thinking of getting one to improve fitness. Anyone reccommend this as a form of aerobic exercise. I have never done spinning or anything like that.

guy crouchback

you would be much better off getting a real bike.
exercise bikes are grand but to get a good one you need to be spending a fair bit of cash. the cheaper ones don't tend to be great quality and none of them are very comfortable over any extended period of time.
get a real bike and get out on the roads, if you get really into it you can get a turbo trainer which attaches to the rear wheel of the bike and can be used indoors

maddog

Quote from: robertemmet on August 19, 2011, 11:33:09 AM
Is there anyone on here that is into racing?  You do many races in the season.

Used to race years ago. Season would start around March time and run through until October. It used to be (typical) that in the north you had the NICF (Norn iron cycling federation) and the UCF the Ulster cycling federation. The NICF races were almost always on a Saturday and the UCF ones on a Sunday. Lots of times we would race both days but at senior level that is quite difficult. The 2 amalgamated around 2006 i think. Different clubs would organise a race per year, ours ran 2 per year in Armagh. You need a licence to race but if you are in a club or join one there should be plenty of guys to point you in the right direction.

Hashtag

Quote from: guy crouchback on August 19, 2011, 01:40:29 PM
exercise bikes are grand but to get a good one you need to be spending a fair bit of cash. the cheaper ones don't tend to be great quality and none of them are very comfortable over any extended period of time.
get a real bike and get out on the roads, if you get really into it you can get a turbo trainer which attaches to the rear wheel of the bike and can be used indoors

Problem is light. I start work at 0700 and finish at 1800 therefore in winter months I was hoping for something I could do to improve fitness. At present time I can just go outside for runs etc but not in the winter.

The Iceman

Hoping to get a spin bike in the house over the winter. There is a charity 4 day bike ride next year I'm considering signing up for.
Will give this spin bike a lash first and see how the knees hold out!
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Bingo

Anyone have a turbo trainer? They any use, i'd imagine like a exercise bike, they not as good for getting out in the open but over the winter when its limited to what can be done outside, are they an option/easy to use and not too hard on the tyres.

I imagine the higher spec ones are good for interval/resistance workouts and the like.

maddog

Quote from: Hashtag on August 19, 2011, 02:27:42 PM
Quote from: guy crouchback on August 19, 2011, 01:40:29 PM

Problem is light. I start work at 0700 and finish at 1800 therefore in winter months I was hoping for something I could do to improve fitness. At present time I can just go outside for runs etc but not in the winter.

Get a bike and a 2nd hand turbo trainer, there is no comparison with an exercise bike. If you did 3 x 1 hr sessions midweek and a proper 2/3 hr ride on a saturday morning when you have the light you would emerge next spring ready to go properly.

bennydorano

Quote from: Bingo on August 19, 2011, 02:45:23 PM
Anyone have a turbo trainer? They any use, i'd imagine like a exercise bike, they not as good for getting out in the open but over the winter when its limited to what can be done outside, are they an option/easy to use and not too hard on the tyres.

I imagine the higher spec ones are good for interval/resistance workouts and the like.

I have one, great for the dark nights (and shit weather), boring as fook, ipod is an essential or set it up in front of a TV.  It is tough on tyres though, but sure if you've been on a set for most of the spring/summer use them (both) as you'd probably be investing again next spring anyway. 

Mine is a Minoura, think it was about £120, although you could get a lot dearer than that.  Various resistance levels and very easy to set up - basically a magnetised skewer through your raised back wheel that is wedged in a vice like grip by the TT.

Bingo

Quote from: bennydorano on August 19, 2011, 03:36:09 PM
Quote from: Bingo on August 19, 2011, 02:45:23 PM

I have one, great for the dark nights (and shit weather), boring as fook, ipod is an essential or set it up in front of a TV.  It is tough on tyres though, but sure if you've been on a set for most of the spring/summer use them (both) as you'd probably be investing again next spring anyway. 

Mine is a Minoura, think it was about £120, although you could get a lot dearer than that.  Various resistance levels and very easy to set up - basically a magnetised skewer through your raised back wheel that is wedged in a vice like grip by the TT.

Cheers about right, if we got a winter like last year, it be hard to get out on bike, so a hour a few times a week on that and maybe squeeze a ride on the weekend would be ok. I've read that 45mins-1hr is as good as you'd do on them. Have the ipod and tv as an option for them. Might invest as the winter draws in down the line.

bennydorano

Tip - I stuff something under the front wheel of mine (bit of doubled up cardboard or something) to raise it an inch or so as it's a whole different set up to normal riding position - it was initially very uncomfortable, get a position that suits and stick with it.  You can buy a grooved cushion thing with some of the TT's, but it's an unnecessary added expense.  A 1 hour session is plenty.