ILikeStrawberryJam

Ross is still a great option from the bench

Came off it last year and kicked 2 points to win the armagh match

Hope lillis commits, has improved a lot in last 12 months

Meredith a big loss ..

Good bunch there if things are done right

Don Draper

Quote from: town1980 on November 09, 2016, 09:33:46 PM
Ross still in dare is a joke bn honest his legs are gone he has done a lot for laois but it's time for him to go,, all over the country lads are retiring and his taken a place of the new breed,,, save yourself from critics and bad press please Ross u don't deserve it
Ross can stay as long as he likes. Any young lad on the panel will learn a tonne from him. He's earned the right to call it himself anyway

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Good to see Paul Kingston in, a great prospect if handled right..
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

les Antiques

Early stages yet . Door closed on nobody until the end of November .  Having Munnelly around can only be a good thing .
A major factor for the new season will be the fitness levels which were below par for most of last year . Cant imagine it been a problem this year !!

BallyroanAbu

Unfortunately I disagree with many here in regards to Ross been part of the county panel.  I would have no problem with him been part of the set up/backroom.  His time has passed and while a great servant it's time to let go.  This is no slur on Ross who for the past 15 years has been one of Laois's most dedicated players but father time waits for no one.  Over the last two years he has been a shadow of the player he was.  I don't think he adds anything to us any longer from a playing point of view.  Backroom/Coaching no problem with him been part of the set up.

Dave like the tv channel

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on November 10, 2016, 12:56:02 PM
Unfortunately I disagree with many here in regards to Ross been part of the county panel.  I would have no problem with him been part of the set up/backroom.  His time has passed and while a great servant it's time to let go.  This is no slur on Ross who for the past 15 years has been one of Laois's most dedicated players but father time waits for no one.  Over the last two years he has been a shadow of the player he was.  I don't think he adds anything to us any longer from a playing point of view.  Backroom/Coaching no problem with him been part of the set up.

Of course it's not a slur. When you're done, you're done. It was the same a few years back when Garvan was over the hill. The way some people were talking, he had earned the right to stay on the team/panel until he was 70!

Sport is cruel in that regard and when you're time is over, you're cut. If the manager has other ideas on your usefulness backstage, that's another matter altogether.

Butch Cassidy

Ross owes Laois nothing as just shows the passion he has for Laois that he still wants to play and feels he can still offer something. He'd make a great development officer for Laois as there's no one as commited as him.

Based on what I say during the club championship he's still in the top 10 forwards in the county so it's up to the younger lads to step up

Pat Spillall

Quote from: Butch Cassidy on November 10, 2016, 02:42:32 PM
Ross owes Laois nothing as just shows the passion he has for Laois that he still wants to play and feels he can still offer something. He'd make a great development officer for Laois as there's no one as commited as him.

Based on what I say during the club championship he's still in the top 10 forwards in the county so it's up to the younger lads to step up

I don't think Ross knows anything about greyhounds and I don't think he would play for Stradbally so a job as a Laois Development Officer would be out ;)

Dave like the tv channel

Quote from: Pat Spillall on November 10, 2016, 07:43:08 PM
Quote from: Butch Cassidy on November 10, 2016, 02:42:32 PM

I don't think Ross knows anything about greyhounds and I don't think he would play for Stradbally so a job as a Laois Development Officer would be out ;)

Controversial.

Tony

If Ross wants to play,I say bring him in. The positive influence he has with the players is immense. What a good role model, too. Playing senior football for Laois over 14 years and still wants to contribute. Why not give 1 more year - who knows what Creedon can do with him. Likely an impact sub but nothing wrong with that. He knows his body best so if he feels like he can give something to laois in 2017, I'd welcome him immediately.

Dave like the tv channel

Quote from: Tony on November 11, 2016, 10:58:09 AM
If Ross wants to play,I say bring him in. The positive influence he has with the players is immense. What a good role model, too. Playing senior football for Laois over 14 years and still wants to contribute. Why not give 1 more year - who knows what Creedon can do with him. Likely an impact sub but nothing wrong with that. He knows his body best so if he feels like he can give something to laois in 2017, I'd welcome him immediately.

Fine, if he knows his place. If he's reduced to a part-player but is ok doing that, getting on for 10 mins here and there, then he can only be a positive influence on younger lads. If it's bitching about how he's not getting game-time, then the manager has to make a call.

I don't know him personally, so I can't say. He's been a brilliant servant for the county. Our all-time top scorer and one of the highest appearances numbers too.

Giovanni

I would have thought that everyone who is willing to commit should be welcomed, especially lads that have a proven track record. If, in the end, there are 10 forwards in Laois that are better than Ross and also willing to commit, then fair enough. I don't think he's the kind of lad that will stand in the way of younger fellas coming through (and certainly not the kind of lad that will be bitching about serving as a sub). In any case, his commitment should be applauded.

BallyroanAbu

I would imagine Ross would come in every day till his 100, however when your done your done there is no nice way of ending this.  Ross won't be happy it won't end nicely because the last person to know that your finished is the player.  There are endless examples of this.  I don't know how anyone had him in the top 10 forwards in club this year.

Don Draper

Ross showed he still had something to contribute last year when he came off the bench against Armagh. Until he shows he can't, and he still has the stomach for it, he's very welcome to stay. We have a shocking habit in this country of trying to retire lads.

ILikeStrawberryJam

Well said Don.. If he's not good enough anymore Creedon wont play him.